COYOTE UGLY: Arizona Coyotes year in review

yave1964

mvnx_8t2jGsKd85JaODrzTQ.jpg

PRESEASON EXPECTATIONS: Tippett and Maloney have a reputation for making something out of nothing, the hope was that the Coyotes could possibly compete for a lower end playoff spot.

FINAL RECORD: 24-50-8 56 points, dead last in Western conference.

HIGH POINT OF THE SEASON: They actually came out of the gate well, defeating the Kings, Capitals and Duckson their way to a 6-6-1 start. Devan Dubnyk showed signs of getting his career back on track and was forming a good one two punch with Mike smith.

LOW POINT OF THE YEAR: From February 10th when they lost to the blues 2-1 thru March 3rd when Anaheim beat  them 4-1 they lost ten in a row. They beat the Canucks in a shootout March 5th and then lost eight more in a row, in total losing 18 out of 19 during that wretched stretch.

WHAT WENT RIGHT: Maximum return for Yandle who they finally dealt before the deadline to the Rangers for a first and a second, decent d-man john Moore and top prospect Anthony Duclair. OEL led the team with 23 goals and 43 points. Dubnyk got his career on track and was dealt for a second rounder. Tobias Reider didnt embarrass himself in his first year in the bigs. Michael StonemZCtGcaYbH_6Kch1zLLyPlQ.jpg quietly established himself as a hard hitting shut down blueliner.

WHAT WENT WRONG: French Foreign Legion rejects B.J. Crombeen, Craig Cunningham, Mike Mckenna, Mark Arcobello, Joe Vitale, Andrew Campbell and Tye McGinn were all waiver pickups and saw time. Boedker and Hanzal who the club was counting on to deliver offense were hurt and missed half the season. Shane Doan in year five of his farewell tour showed his age. Connor Murphy and Brendan Gormley, two top defensive prospects were pretty awful. And Mike Smith? Don't ask. Just plain bad.

WEIRD STAT OF THE YEAR: not a single player on the entire team was a plus player, 166 were double digit in the minus category. Eight, counting the departed Yandle and Vermette were at least a minus 20. Just awful.

UFAs:

Andrew Campbell

Marty Erat

David Moss

TOP PROSPECTS:

Lots.

The 'Yotes, not even counting what they do with the third pick in the draft are loaded to the hilt with top prospects, HenrikSamuelsson, Max Domi and Anthony Duclair seem locks to play top nine minutes among the forwards. Brendan Perlini, maybe a step below the other three will push for time. Tobias Reider has established himself at the NHL level and will look for a larger role. Gormley looked awful bbut so did most of his mates, he looks to establish himself in a top four role in the back end. And there are at least a half a dozen others who are a step below these guys but are real prospects as well.

OFFSEASON QUESTION MARKS:

Do you retain Dave Tipppett or let him go? What to do with the third pick, take Dylan Strome at center or go defense with Noah Hanifin? Will the new owner spend money on free agents? Long season has come to an end for the 'Yotes, truthfully, it looks brighter going forward.

I came here hoping there'd be more pictures of Piper Perabo. 

I'd keep Tippett.   IF  I'm keeping Tippett, I'm drafting Hanifin but that also means I have to figure out the goalie situation.   If I'm canning Tippett and bringing in a more open offensive system guy, then Strome is my guy.

If I'm betting, I think Hanifin ends up in Phoenix...er....Glenndale...er...Scotts...Arizona.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived