falling leaves- Maple Leafs year in review

yave1964

The more I think about it, this might not be such a bad idea...................  :mellow:

Since the NHL is about entertainment (business first) and then sport second, wouldn't it make sense to reward the most popular franchises with playoff spots regardless of their regular season records? That way every season, fans get the playoffs they want to see!  :D

I think we need to bring TropicalFruitGirl in on this one. 

The "wash, rinse, repeat" act of the Leafs the last bunch of years, shows how rotten this core is.  There's a predictable second half collapse coming every year, and nothing will change until the core changes.

Here's hoping they can move Kessel and Phaneuf.  It'd be nice to send Lupul packing, too.

I'm not convinced it's because of a "rotten" core, I think it's because of an incomplete core. Don't get me wrong, they've shown the "clutchiness" of a loose sphincter, but I don't think they lack skill or even desire to win. 

In the shortened season, we had a team that looked to be on the up. We lacked a couple major pieces (top 4 hole on defense, big hole at centre) but they played hard and won some games.

Now we're floundering in no man's land, because we had no way to address the big issues. David Clarkson, Roman Polak, and Stephane Robidas are not solutions to the above mentioned problems.

I still think if you give this team a solid top 4 defenseman and a #1 centre, they are a playoff team. Problem is, how do you get those?

Shanahan will decide if he wants to move on this offseason (and there's a good chance he does), but we can't keep trying to plug holes like that with filler and hope to improve.

The "wash, rinse, repeat" act of the Leafs the last bunch of years, shows how rotten this core is.  There's a predictable second half collapse coming every year, and nothing will change until the core changes.

Here's hoping they can move Kessel and Phaneuf.  It'd be nice to send Lupul packing, too.

Come on...there isn't always a second half collapse. They used to suck for the entire first half, then when they were comfortably out of playoff contention, they'd go on a late season run.

Come on...there isn't always a second half collapse. They used to suck for the entire first half, then when they were comfortably out of playoff contention, they'd go on a late season run.

That was true some years ago.  But lately, it's been the opposite.  

Lately, with this core, they've done alright for chunks of seasons, only to.........start off great four years ago in 2011/12, only to lose 10 of their last 11 games and miss the playoffs, MAKE the playoffs in the shortened 2012/13 season, only to collapse against Boston in game 7, followed by collapsing in the second half and missing the playoffs 2013/14 in horrible fashion, followed by a brutal collapse again this year.

That's a whole pile of terrible collapses, over the last four seasons, with this core.  Time to change it up.

They tried to move Lupul but he got injured during the move. (Going from the limo to the airport.) Deal had to be nixed.  ;)

Archived