Rule Question: Coming Off Bench to Stop Breakaway

Podein25

I assume it's a penalty shot, but not certain. If a guy was on a clear breakaway with no chance of anyone catching him, could you just jump off the bench to prevent the breakaway and maybe just get a minor?

I doubt it. Should be a PS. But does the rule specifically say so? If not, I'd totally do that.

This is just a guess, but I would think it would have to be a penalty shot. I don't see why a too many men on the ice period should be any different than a hook or a trip. If it is, that's just stupid.

This is just a guess, but I would think it would have to be a penalty shot. I don't see why a too many men on the ice period should be any different than a hook or a trip. If it is, that's just stupid.

Yeah, has to be. I guess I will go look and see if it is spelled out in the rules somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

I assume it's a penalty shot, but not certain. If a guy was on a clear breakaway with no chance of anyone catching him, could you just jump off the bench to prevent the breakaway and maybe just get a minor?

I doubt it. Should be a PS. But does the rule specifically say so? If not, I'd totally do that.

• It would be a penalty shot if there was a goalie in the net.
  • It would be an automatic goal awarded if the net was empty.

:)

Archived