Brodeur named assistant GM

After a brief stop in St. louis as a player, Marty is deciding to stay here and start the just part of his life in Hockey, signing a three year deal to be the blues' assistant GM, 

“I always in the back of my mind wanted to do it, but I didn’t know exactly what ‘it’ was,” Brodeur said Thursday. “I got a good taste of it this season. It’s an exciting time for me, I’ve been like a kid. It’s something new for me and I’m happy to jump on board.”

Brodeur will move to St. Louis full time. He’ll travel with the team at times, work on the business side of player contracts, handle scheduling and work with the Blues’ minor league affiliates.

“It’s really going to be an open canvas to explore and get strong,” Armstrong said. “We’re excited to have Marty on board. I’m looking forward to personally working with him and tapping into his immense knowledge from playing and hopefully giving him some guidance on working on the management structure.”

Brodeur said he expects a bit of a learning curve, but it’s a challenge he’s up for.

“I just enjoyed being part of the organization,” Brodeur said. “I loved the city of St. Louis. Everything about it, from the coaching staff to the management part. For me, that just kind of clicked.”

Glad to see that Marty will stay with the note and I'm sure he could be a great asset for all the Blues' goalies/ prospects. Also, if the team doesn't find a way to make a change in direction, within a few years, Marty could be moving into Army's office.

@stlbluesfan4ever

I have to wonder if the ownership change in NJ changed something as I always thought Brodeur was going to take on a management position with the Devils.  Good for him though.

And now Hitchcock is staying also for a year.  Looks like the changes in the off season will come from within the lockerroom.  

@stlbluesfan4ever  I think everyone kinda sensed that Marty would stick around the game after his playing games were over. You can get the rink rat out off the ice, but not out of the arena....LOL!

I think the Blues were smart to give Hitch one more kick at the can. At this point, they were not going to find a replacement who would have the impact of Hitch on that roster. Give Ken one more try, this time with a new goalie, and go from there.....

You know, if I'm a St. Louis fan, I love the idea of having Marty around my goalies, even if he's not in a "coaching" position. Great hire, imo.

Archived