Rumor roundup, Cam Talbot muddies the waters even more

Cam Talbot has been placed on the market by the New York Rangers and is rumored to be going to the Edmonton Oilers for their number two pick (number 33). With Talbot joining the swelling list of goalies on the market, it further complicates things.

Devon Dubnyk has not been resigned by the Wild, and the talks are getting contentious. Both teams insist they are trying to get a deal done but if he is available after July first he will be courted by a half a dozen teams. Dubnyk remaining unsigned is stopping others from being traded, as teams are waiting to see if they can get into a bidding war for his services. Teams like Ottawa who are shopping Anderson and Lehner and who wish to get something done before the deadline are running into teams in a wait and see mentality.

Goalies who are available include:

Cam Talbot

Antti Niemi

Craig Anderson or Robin Lehner

Jonathan Bernier

Cam Ward

Antti Raanta

Jacob Markstrom or Eddie Lack

Martin Jones

Karri Ramo

A buyers market of teams waiting to see where Dubnyk lands before said buyers pull the trigger. If he signs with the Wild, i see Anderson being the next to move, likely to the Sharks. If Dubnyk hits free agency, the Sharks have cap room galore and Dubnyk is looking for 5 million a year which the Sharks would likely offer. If that happens, the goalie market is going to go Wild with Minnesota, Edmonton (unless they add Talbot) Buffalo, Toronto, Carolina and Dallas all in the market to varying degrees.

Watching Dubnyk VERY closely. Not much will happen until he decides what he wishes to do.

post-516-0-17507900-1434985815_thumb.jpg

Cam Talbot has been placed on the market by the New York Rangers and is rumored to be going to the Edmonton Oilers for their number two pick (number 33). With Talbot joining the swelling list of goalies on the market, it further complicates things. Devon Dubnyk has not been resigned by the Wild, and the talks are getting contentious. Both teams insist they are trying to get a deal done but if he is available after July first he will be courted by a half a dozen teams. Dubnyk remaining unsigned is stopping others from being traded, as teams are waiting to see if they can get into a bidding war for his services. Teams like Ottawa who are shopping Anderson and Lehner and who wish to get something done before the deadline are running into teams in a wait and see mentality. Goalies who are available include: Cam Talbot Antti Niemi Craig Anderson or Robin Lehner Jonathan Bernier Cam Ward Antti Raanta Jacob Markstrom or Eddie Lack Martin Jones Karri Ramo A buyers market of teams waiting to see where Dubnyk lands before said buyers pull the trigger. If he signs with the Wild, i see Anderson being the next to move, likely to the Sharks. If Dubnyk hits free agency, the Sharks have cap room galore and Dubnyk is looking for 5 million a year which the Sharks would likely offer. If that happens, the goalie market is going to go Wild with Minnesota, Edmonton (unless they add Talbot) Buffalo, Toronto, Carolina and Dallas all in the market to varying degrees. Watching Dubnyk VERY closely. Not much will happen until he decides what he wishes to do.

We see a history of goalies, where they shine behind good teams, but look like their true selves when on weaker teams, especially in Edmonton.  Perhaps the Oilers should be looking at getting players who play a harder D minded game, than spending more assets on a goalie?  I personally feel any goalie playing behind that Oiler team (without big changes in their roster) will struggle.

TMac is talking Chiarelli into Niemi. E4

Freaking Stalock had 2 shutouts last year. Not a great year for him obviously, but after a shutout, you usually give the guy another game right? Wrong. Stalock was replaced by Niemi the next night after both shutouts.

Not sure why TMac had a hardon for Niemi, but word is he is pushing for Chiarelli to sign him

TMac is talking Chiarelli into Niemi. E4

Freaking Stalock had 2 shutouts last year. Not a great year for him obviously, but after a shutout, you usually give the guy another game right? Wrong. Stalock was replaced by Niemi the next night after both shutouts.

Not sure why TMac had a hardon for Niemi, but word is he is pushing for Chiarelli to sign him

I still say that any goalie playing behind that Oilers team will struggle.  If they sign Niemi he will look bad too, just like Scrivens, and Dubnyk.  Their team is too soft in all areas.  It's not the goaltending, so much as the rest of the team.

@J0e Th0rnton

I admit I am still not certain what to think of Dubnyk, he has always put up average numbers in front of bad teams, Sean Burke got ahold of him and it was magic. it has happened before, Bryz comes to mind. Mike Smith for a few years. A good goalie coach is worth their weight in gold when they mesh with the netminder just right.

Dubnyk is asking for multi year, five million a year. The Wild are balking, they are rumored to be a million bucks apart.

My gut says the Wild get it done, but if they do not, what a disaster awaits them. Harding is done, Backstrom is likely finished, Keumper inspires no confidence. It leaves them dealing from weakness, either signing a Niemi or Ramo or trading an asset for one of the other candidates.

If Dubnyk hits the open market I really believe the Sharks have as good a shot as anyone of signing him, maybe better. I see him as a goalie upgrade but I think last year was an aberration. I agree he is good, just not THAT good. But yeah, if the Wild don't get it together and sign Dubnyk I see him wearing teal next year.

Dubnyk is asking for multi year, five million a year. The Wild are balking, they are rumored to be a million bucks apart.

My gut says the Wild get it done, but if they do not, what a disaster awaits them. Harding is done, Backstrom is likely finished, Keumper inspires no confidence. It leaves them dealing from weakness, either signing a Niemi or Ramo or trading an asset for one of the other candidates.

If Dubnyk hits the open market I really believe the Sharks have as good a shot as anyone of signing him, maybe better. I see him as a goalie upgrade but I think last year was an aberration. I agree he is good, just not THAT good. But yeah, if the Wild don't get it together and sign Dubnyk I see him wearing teal next year.

Where would the Wild have been without Dubnyk last year?  Certainly not in the post season....if they lose him over a million bucks, that would be a horrible move. Sometimes, you just have to cave in to a guys demand....cause the other options are all huge question marks....this is not the player to draw a line in the sand and show no wiggle room to.

Perhaps the Oilers should be looking at getting players who play a harder D minded game, than spending more assets on a goalie? I personally feel any goalie playing behind that Oiler team (without big changes in their roster) will struggle.

I get what you are saying, it is kinda putting the cart before the horse....but Cam would make a great #1 goalie for the Oilers....AND he is still young enough to grow along with the Oilers young talent. I would secure his services and then worry about the poor team defense he will have in front of him. If they wait for the team to become defensively responsible they could be losing out on a fine young talent.

I think Cam is talented enough to demand the Oil #2 pick this year and a mid level prospect. Even with the amazing depth of this years draft, 32 is late enough that the Oil might have to sweeten the pot....Cam is a proven commodity.

I get what you are saying, it is kinda putting the cart before the horse....but Cam would make a great #1 goalie for the Oilers....AND he is still young enough to grow along with the Oilers young talent. I would secure his services and then worry about the poor team defense he will have in front of him. If they wait for the team to become defensively responsible they could be losing out on a fine young talent.

I think Cam is talented enough to demand the Oil #2 pick this year and a mid level prospect. Even with the amazing depth of this years draft, 32 is late enough that the Oil might have to sweeten the pot....Cam is a proven commodity.

Cam is a proven commodity on a very defensively sound team, with excellent D-men.  I do believe his stats are rather average until he joined them.  Although, he might turn out great too; I'm not (by any means) qualified to assess goalies.  Scrivens had fabulous numbers playing in LA. 

Archived