Okposo to the Wings?

jammer2

@jammer2

My only problem with it is what was written at the end, we have a serious glut of free agents at the end of the year and no idea what the cap is going to do. If the Isles are going to trade Okposo it is because they think he is unsignable except for a monster contract. I would love to see him on Datsyuk's wing with Abdelkaer on the other side, it is about a perfect line. But he and Abby and Helm may all be gone at the end of next year.

So if the price was right, sure, but the Isles aren't going to simply give him away, he is a very valuable asset for a team. Unless we are able to LTIR the Mule and get his contract off the books, if that is possible, all bets are off. Go get him, damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead if we can LTIR Franzen.

@jammer2

My only problem with it is what was written at the end, we have a serious glut of free agents at the end of the year and no idea what the cap is going to do. If the Isles are going to trade Okposo it is because they think he is unsignable except for a monster contract. I would love to see him on Datsyuk's wing with Abdelkaer on the other side, it is about a perfect line. But he and Abby and Helm may all be gone at the end of next year.

So if the price was right, sure, but the Isles aren't going to simply give him away, he is a very valuable asset for a team. Unless we are able to LTIR the Mule and get his contract off the books, if that is possible, all bets are off. Go get him, damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead if we can LTIR Franzen.

I can't understand why Franzen doesn't just simply retire? Under the tagging rules can any big name be signed?

I can't understand why Franzen doesn't just simply retire? Under the tagging rules can any big name be signed?

The last thing in the world we want is Franzen to retire, it would create a cap hit which would absolutely wreck us. No, the best thing that they can do is put him on Long Term Injured Reserve like the Bruins did with Marc Savard and the Flyers did with Chris Pronger or the Leafs are doing with Nathan Horton. The salary does not count against the cap, it is just paying the player not to retire, to simply stay off the team due to concussion issues. So if his concussion issues continue into the season placing him on IR frees up the cap space and we can replace him.

In Mules defense, and I am not a defender of him, he is one dimensional and slow enough to time with a sundial. But the Wings went ice cold as soon as he went out last year. We need a big rugged forward and net presence on the second line, if he had remained healthy (or Eric Cole for that matter) we would have gotten past Tampa. I have no doubt about it.

If if if.

The last thing in the world we want is Franzen to retire, it would create a cap hit which would absolutely wreck us. No, the best thing that they can do is put him on Long Term Injured Reserve like the Bruins did with Marc Savard and the Flyers did with Chris Pronger or the Leafs are doing with Nathan Horton. The salary does not count against the cap, it is just paying the player not to retire, to simply stay off the team due to concussion issues. So if his concussion issues continue into the season placing him on IR frees up the cap space and we can replace him.

In Mules defense, and I am not a defender of him, he is one dimensional and slow enough to time with a sundial. But the Wings went ice cold as soon as he went out last year. We need a big rugged forward and net presence on the second line, if he had remained healthy (or Eric Cole for that matter) we would have gotten past Tampa. I have no doubt about it.

If if if.

Franzen did not sign a 35+ contract. I was under the impression that was when a cap hit stays?

@yave1964  I was under the impression that if a player is under 35 years of age, the money comes off the cap. This is kinda odd, because it must be pretty tempting for a rich team to pay somebody to go away. GIve them double the money in the contract to just retire. Super rich teams like the Flyers, Leafs, Wings, they could afford this type of shanigan.

@yave1964  I was under the impression that if a player is under 35 years of age, the money comes off the cap. This is kinda odd, because it must be pretty tempting for a rich team to pay somebody to go away. GIve them double the money in the contract to just retire. Super rich teams like the Flyers, Leafs, Wings, they could afford this type of shanigan.

This how i believe it works as well.  Players probably don't want to retire until their contracts is up due to loss of the full salary?

Archived