All-Time Vancouver Canucks Team

ScottM

nhl--vancouver_canucks_1995.gif

We move into the second round of NHL expansion with the Vancouver Canucks. I thought these might get easier as we moved into teams with shorter histories, but so far, that has not been the case. There have still been some tough decisions, and the Canucks were no different.

First Line: Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Pavel Bure

Second Line: Markus Naslund, Ryan Kesler, Trevor Linden

Third Line: Geoff Courtnall, Thomas Gradin, Todd Bertuzzi

Fourth Line: Don Lever, Brendan Morrison, Alexander Mogilny

First Defensive Pair: Ed Jovanovski, Mattias Ohlund

Second Defensive Pair: Jyrki Lumme, Alexander Edler

Third Defensive Pair: Dan Hamhuis, Sami Salo

Goaltenders: Roberto Luongo, Kirk McLean, Richard Brodeur

Coach: Alain Vigneault

It seems like I've said this on the last several of these that I've done, but the defense was the toughest part. This group of defensemen is all relatively recent, as I remember watching all of these guys play. An argument for Christian Ehrhoff could be made since he had two top-10 Norris trophy finishes in two years with the team, but in this case, I felt that Salo's longer term quality play won out. Ranking the right wingers was a little tough too. Taking their entire careers into consideration, I think Mogilny is far better than Bertuzzi, but considering only play in Vancouver, I give a slight nod to Bertuzzi. Mogilny's best years were in Buffalo.

Good list, but I would be tempted to put RW Stan Smyl on that list instead of Bertuzzi. He had at least 20 goals between 1980-81 to 1986-87. I know Bertuzzi had a 46 goal season, but I think Smyl was a better all-around player.

Good list, but I would be tempted to put RW Stan Smyl on that list instead of Bertuzzi. He had at least 20 goals between 1980-81 to 1986-87. I know Bertuzzi had a 46 goal season, but I think Smyl was a better all-around player.

Smyl was a very close call. It felt weird leaving off the guy who's fifth in points in franchise history. Sometimes, I feel like I need one more line on these teams... Lol

@FD19372

Yeah,Stanley Steamer would have made my list as well. No ifs and or buts.

@ScottM wow, I guess i never realized that the defense of the Canucks has been so boring and average over the years. IMHO I absolutely would have had the mustachio'd one, Harold Snepts in the top 4. Not much of a scorer but he spent a decade bringing his nasty style to the back end, and came back for 2 more years at the end of his career. Not a big scorer but 120-200 PIMs most every year and the mustache was one of the best in the game, and helps get him my nod.

@yave1964 Snepts certainly could have been there too. I agree that Canucks defense was kind of bland. The reason it was tough wasn't so much because there was a lot to choose from, but because there really wasn't. I feel pretty well set on the top three, but after that, I have much less conviction on them.

@yave1964 Snepts certainly could have been there too. I agree that Canucks defense was kind of bland. The reason it was tough wasn't so much because there was a lot to choose from, but because there really wasn't. I feel pretty well set on the top three, but after that, I have much less conviction on them.

I remember Snepts late in his career with the Wings for a few years, he was strictly a stay at home guy, in my entire life I have seldom seen a player better at playing his zone. He was so strong, he would ride the puck carrier into the corner while tying up his arms to disallow the pass. It was really his only move at that point but few have done it better. God help the puck carrier who got close to him. But if you could get around him, he was done.

Archived