Kesler Inks 6-year Deal

klindsey

I don't think the money is to over the top for Kesler.
Probably a couple years to long though but time will tell on that.

I think some on here would be defending this contract if Kesler had signed it with their favourite team.

The money is fair for both sides, and in a few short years, it should even become somewhat of a bargain....

The market for 20/50 guys is in the mid $4M range at the moment.

Kesler has been a 20/50 guy for the past four years - and, in fact, for virtually his entire career except for two seasons four years ago.

I don't see how this is "fair" money for Kesler - at all, much less for six more years. IMO, Anaheim overpaid heavily on this. I wouldn't want my team signing a 20/50 guy to a $6.8M contract and, quite frankly, the league as a whole simply cannot afford that level of compensation for a 20/50 player.

That said, the Ducks may be getting the best bang for the buck overall in the league. They got to Game 7 in a Conference Final last season and their team salary falls right between Buffalo and Arizona.

The market for 20/50 guys is in the mid $4M range at the moment.

Kesler has been a 20/50 guy for the past four years - and, in fact, for virtually his entire career except for two seasons four years ago.

With Kesler, it is not all about the points. Tons of varialbes and intangibles when it comes to Ryan. The Ducks have been missing a legit, respectable 2nd line center for years and years now. They have tried a miriade of centers, nobody claimed the job. His presence in the playoffs took some of the checking heat off Getzlaf and Perry. He supplies veteran leadership, leads by example, brings toughness and grit to an already rough and tough line-up, making the Ducks that much harder to play against.

Personally, I believe he will be the long time center for Silferberg, who emerged as star in the recent playoffs. Having a dependable center to supply the puck to Silferberg will be of the utmost importance moving forward. When you factor in all of these variables, he is worth the money.

With Kesler, it is not all about the points. Tons of varialbes and intangibles when it comes to Ryan. The Ducks have been missing a legit, respectable 2nd line center for years and years now. They have tried a miriade of centers, nobody claimed the job. His presence in the playoffs took some of the checking heat off Getzlaf and Perry. He supplies veteran leadership, leads by example, brings toughness and grit to an already rough and tough line-up, making the Ducks that much harder to play against.

Personally, I believe he will be the long time center for Silferberg, who emerged as star in the recent playoffs. Having a dependable center to supply the puck to Silferberg will be of the utmost importance moving forward. When you factor in all of these variables, he is worth the money.

Almost put in the obligatory "intangibles" caveat because I knew that was coming. :hocky:

I still don't believe Kesler's "intangibles" are worth $2+M more a year for the next six years. YMMV which is totally fine.

Again, the Ducks have the cap space and aren't anywhere near cap trouble so if they want to lock up their Conference Finals core, who am I to argue?

I just wouldn't want, for example, the Flyers spending $6.8M on a "Kesler type" 2nd line center.

Again, the Ducks have the cap space and aren't anywhere near cap trouble so if they want to lock up their Conference Finals core, who am I to argue?

I just wouldn't want, for example, the Flyers spending $6.8M on a "Kesler type" 2nd line center.

Totally agree, it does not hurt the Ducks very much, due to them being somewhat stingy to this point....but yeah, this type of a deal on the cap strapped Flyers would be a killer.

but yeah, this type of a deal on the cap strapped Flyers would be a killer.

Forget the cap situation.

Brayden Schenn had as many points as Kesler last season. "Intangibles" or not, I don't want a "Brayden Schenn" type in the $6.8M range. At. All.

If Kesler is "worth" $6.8M, what's a Wayne Simmonds "worth" when he hits the open market? Especially after working on a JLC-level "bad deal for the player"?

Jori Lehtera just re-signed for $4.7M for three more in STL. Is he a seven million dollar player? For the record, I think Stastny's $7M deal in STL is likewise ridiculous.

If 20/50 guys ("plus intangibles") are $7M players, this league is headed right back to the same place it was before we lost a year and a half of hockey.

@radoran  I really think it was Keslers excellent bargaining position that got him this deal. He has a full no trade clause, so if the Ducks decided to not re-sign him, they could potentially lose him for nothing in 2016. Plus, with no real replacement waiting in the wings for the Ducks, a future without Kesler was not really an option....they badly needed him to maintain a sturdy top 6. Kesler's agent knew this, knew he was in a very strong positon, thus the overpayment.

@radoran  I really think it was Keslers excellent bargaining position that got him this deal. He has a full no trade clause, so if the Ducks decided to not re-sign him, they could potentially lose him for nothing in 2016. Plus, with no real replacement waiting in the wings for the Ducks, a future without Kesler was not really an option....they badly needed him to maintain a sturdy top 6. Kesler's agent knew this, knew he was in a very strong positon, thus the overpayment.

And the ability of the Ducks to fit the deal into their cap situation.

If I was a Ducks fan, I might worry about the back half of this deal and the Perry deal - but if they win a Cup it won't matter.

I'm more looking at it from the perspective of the rest of the league and how this sets up future guys' negotiations.

Archived