Leafs trim roster to 24 players

BluPuk

Leafs fans hoping management made the right decisions because the Leafs will have a pretty stiff opening schedule.

Heavy on road games and with the exception of Buffalo, Arizona, and Columbus, they will be seeing last season's Eastern Conference playoff participants.

And the Jackets simply cannot be overlooked because when healthy, they are about as good as any heavy team in the league.

Toronto will have its work cut out for them to stay contenders and a strong start is a must. Thus, mistakes in who made the team could be critical.

@BluPuk  I really thought that Nylander would have had a shot at #1 center. Not surprising coming from a Babcock coached team, he leans heavily towards the vets. One thing for sure, this crew, especially the bottom six will give a tremendous effort, they will not give up. Probably best for Nylander to get tons of playing time for the Marlies.

@jammer2

I know I'm not a Euro lover (I don't hate them either) but I have never seen Nylander do anything that said to me that he should play in the NHL. Certainly not at centre. He is simply not big enough and not nearly tough enough.

I think he will make a decent 3rd or 4th line left winger sometime in the future if he can learn to backcheck - not now. I am relieved that he did not stay up. It shows me something I like about this new Leafs management team.

Now if they would send Kadri down too.......

@BluPuk  Nylander will be a legit star center in the next few years....he was created to play center....awesome skater, great vision...he does need to put on some muscle, but I'm sure he will be a star. Eventually, Nylander and Marner will be the best 1-2 punch the Leafs have ever seen. They are both destined for greatness.

I see where Rich Clune was assigned to the Marlies.

If he can ever get his head our of his arse, he could be a real asset to the Leafs when facing down the skating skill teams in the Atlantic such as TB, Mon, Ott, and Det.

A third or 4th line with he and Leo Komerov on it could be a terror for teams looking to just skate from line to line into the offensive zone.

At his worst, Clune is a meathead, but at his best, the guy is a freight train and would definitely have opposing players' heads on a swivel.

I see where Rich Clune was assigned to the Marlies.

If he can ever get his head our of his arse, he could be a real asset to the Leafs when facing down the skating skill teams in the Atlantic such as TB, Mon, Ott, and Det.

A third or 4th line with he and Leo Komerov on it could be a terror for teams looking to just skate from line to line into the offensive zone.

At his worst, Clune is a meathead, but at his best, the guy is a freight train and would definitely have opposing players' heads on a swivel.

I could be mistaken (the cap era has me confused) but I think any of those guys can be called back up at any time. Keep in mind that the 24 of today may be quite different than the 24 of tomorrow. If you are meaning that Clune has grit - I love grit... on my side at least.  ;)

@BluPuk  I really thought that Nylander would have had a shot at #1 center. Not surprising coming from a Babcock coached team, he leans heavily towards the vets. One thing for sure, this crew, especially the bottom six will give a tremendous effort, they will not give up. Probably best for Nylander to get tons of playing time for the Marlies.

I agree with you, but with this team missing so much, it's better to send guys like Nylander to the AHL to develop.

Kadri and Bozak are the top two centers, so Nylander wouldn't see enough time to develop in the NHL this year.

He looks like a stud, though. He will be a great player in the future.

Archived