Top Defensive Players by Defensive Errors - Leafs Leaders - 2015-2016

WordsOfWisdom

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Note regarding statistical accuracy:

I have been using www.sportsnet.ca for my statistics pertaining to GP, G, A, and ATOI, but I have discovered recently that SportsNet has been making outrageous errors with ATOI. (The seconds are always wrong.) Therefore, I have switched to using ESPN for reliable statistics.

That's rather embarrassing for Sportsnet. Does ESPN even cover hockey?!

7 hours ago, Podein25 said:

That's rather embarrassing for Sportsnet. Does ESPN even cover hockey?!

Barely. :(

I see now what SportsNet does wrong. Their seconds column is shifted by one position. They zero-fill the lead number and truncate the second digit in the seconds. So 14:38 (the correct value) becomes 14:03. If they paid me, I'd fix it.  :cool[1]:

Jan.15: TOR vs CHI

1. Gardiner
  2. Hunwick, Reimer
  3. Kadri
  4. (Empty net.)

Final score: 4-1 CHI.

1. Gardiner with the penalty. Even though the penalty had just expired, Gardiner is still on the hook because he wasn't able to get back into the play.  2. Hunwick with the penalty, but Reimer should have stopped that bad angle shot. It wasn't a true one-timer. 3. Kadri with the penalty. Lots of penalties burned the Leafs tonight. Penalties may not hurt ya in +/-, but they can hurt ya in defensive errors. :mapleleafs:

Jan.16: TOR vs BOS

1. Hunwick, Matthias, Parenteau
  2. Rielly
  3. Marincin

Final score: 3-2 BOS.

1. Awful fraking line change. Matthias and Parenteau need to buy their linemates some time there. Hunwick was caught out of position. 2. Bad giveaway by Rielly. 3. Awful giveaway by Marincin. Maybe the worst we've seen this season.

Bernier gets the NHL goalie sombrero:

• Allow a goal in the first or last minute of the 1st? Check!
  • Allow a goal in the first or last minute of the 2nd? Check!
  • Allow a goal in the first or last minute of the 3rd? Check!

Toronto picks up a huge 2 points on Columbus in the race for the basement! Mental breaking point reached!  :drool:

Jan.19: TOR vs PHI

1. Lupul, Holland
  2. Rielly

Final score: 3-2 TOR.

1: Lupul with the penalty, but Holland isn't watching the Flyer player behind him. Terrible defensive awareness. 2: Rielly with a huge giveaway that leads to a 2-on-1 and the goal. It's such a strange feeling to see the Leafs win a game late in regulation. That never happens.

5 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Flyers looked like they were playing down to their opponent. I thought the game was a little boring..  :yawn:

How many more games are left? :P

Too many. I'd like to see the NHL shorten the schedule. 48 games seems to be about the right number to separate good teams from bad. The rest is just time wasting filler.

Milestones to look forward to this season are now:

• The date of playoff contention elimination. Will the Leafs win the Golden Dookie award?
  • Will the Leafs catch Columbus for the #1 draft lottery position? We are so close!
  • Who will be traded away at the deadline? Polak? Parenteau? Phaneuf? Kadri? Reimer?
  • When will Marner and Nylander make their debut?

:cool[1]:

*When it comes to the Golden Dookie award, it has to be the first team that is mathematically eliminated from playoff contention. ie: It has to be official. I'm not sure what to do in the event of a tie.

**The reason I went with "first eliminated" and not the team that finishes 30th overall is because nobody cares about the remaining games once a team is eliminated from playoff contention. It's a question of "hope" and the fans of the Golden Dookie award winner can truly say they had less than any other team. (Their dreams were crushed much sooner.)

Jan.21: TOR vs CAR

1. Bozak, Parenteau, Rielly

Final score: 1-0 (OT) CAR.

For the first time all season, the defensive errors match the +/-. Let's break this one down shall we? Bozak is beat heading back to the Leafs zone (sort of). The Leafs are actually still okay here because Rielly and Parenteau are covering the two Hurricanes players that present an immediate danger. It's not an odd-man rush because Bozak is actually back in the Leafs zone before the 3rd Hurricanes player gets there. Rielly points to the trail guy (telling Bozak to take him -- which he doesn't). He is where it all falls apart: Parenteau lets his man slip past and go to the net (creating major problems for Reimer). Bozak doesn't take the 3rd Hurricanes player, allowing him to shoot. Amid the confusion, Rielly stands still while his man taps in the rebound for the OT goal. So amazingly (or not amazingly), what seemed initially like a screw up by Bozak was actually THREE mistakes made on that goal. Every Leafs player on the ice during the 3-on-3 was at fault on that OT goal. :o

On a slightly different line - in the sometimes 3-point, sometimes 2-point world of the phoney baloney NHL, does Reimer get a shut-out? Does the player who scored the only goal get to keep the point(s)? Anyway, the 3 on 3 gives the team with the more individual talent the advantage. I thought it was interesting that the Leafs (the more defensive team) went with two forwards and one defence, while Carolina went with 2 defence and one forward? Weird... 

2 hours ago, BluPuk said:

On a slightly different line - in the sometimes 3-point, sometimes 2-point world of the phoney baloney NHL, does Reimer get a shut-out? Does the player who scored the only goal get to keep the point(s)? Anyway, the 3 on 3 gives the team with the more individual talent the advantage. I thought it was interesting that the Leafs (the more defensive team) went with two forwards and one defence, while Carolina went with 2 defence and one forward? Weird... 

Unless the NHL has changed the rules, goals in OT will ruin a shutout. (Which is a shame because Reimer played like the 1st star again last night and his team let him down again.) The goals and assists count just like any other period.

Reimer must be thinking that he has to join the rush and score the damn goals now too because nobody else on this team is doing it. :ermm:

52 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Reimer must be thinking that he has to join the rush and score the damn goals now too because nobody else on this team is doing it.

I so look forward to the game of hockey when it has evolved to that state. How much fun would that be?! Yes, I'm serious.

4 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I so look forward to the game of hockey when it has evolved to that state. How much fun would that be?! Yes, I'm serious.

LOL. :lol: Well given the amount of padding that skaters wear, theoretically anyone can play goal in a pinch. Have the goalie join the rush and use one of the skaters to cover for him until he gets back. :unsure[1]:

@WordsOfWisdom

Sure why not? I guess you might as well just pull the goalie for another player at that point. I just wish goalies were more involved in the play. Get rid of the trapezoid, get the goalies out there moving the puck. It's where the game should naturally evolve to if given the chance.

6 hours ago, Podein25 said:

@WordsOfWisdom

Sure why not? I guess you might as well just pull the goalie for another player at that point. I just wish goalies were more involved in the play. Get rid of the trapezoid, get the goalies out there moving the puck. It's where the game should naturally evolve to if given the chance.

What I don't understand is why players don't just line up shoulder to shoulder in the crease when their team is under pressure and in need of a line change? You can't possibly score a goal if the defending team has everyone standing directly in front of the net, side by side. Also, is there a rule against being in the net? If a defenceman were to crouch down inside the net and knock down pucks that squeak past the goalie, is that a penalty?  :blushing:

8 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

What I don't understand is why players don't just line up shoulder to shoulder in the crease when their team is under pressure and in need of a line change? You can't possibly score a goal if the defending team has everyone standing directly in front of the net, side by side. Also, is there a rule against being in the net? If a defenceman were to crouch down inside the net and knock down pucks that squeak past the goalie, is that a penalty?  :blushing:

The only rule is you can't close your hand on the puck. Delay of game/penalty shot.

But yeah, get rid of goalies altogether! Block shots ************!

Jan.23: TOR vs MTL

1. Rielly
  2. Parenteau
  3. (Shootout.)

Final score: 3-2 (SO) MTL.

1: Rielly covers the wrong man (already being covered by Hunwick). 2: Parenteau doesn't pick up the late guy coming into the zone, and decides instead to skate with the Montreal player already being covered by Phaneuf. :rolleyes:

Is it just me, or was that game boring? I usually get up for a game against the Habs, but I thought that was a weak effort from both teams.

I don't get how Habs fans can continue to claim "it's not just Price".

2 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Is it just me, or was that game boring? I usually get up for a game against the Habs, but I thought that was a weak effort from both teams.

I don't get how Habs fans can continue to claim "it's not just Price".

Leafs were flat all night. No offensive spark whatsoever. They were lucky they even scored a goal in this game, let alone two. :o

I think we've finally hit that point in the season where the players have given up. They know this team isn't going anywhere. A few guys here will be trying to play their way out of Toronto before the trade deadline now. Other than that, I think the rest are just waiting for golf season. 

I find Toronto vs Montreal games to be exceptionally boring. Neither team is good right now, and you have to go a long way back in history to find a time when both of these teams were great teams to watch. The rivalry just isn't there.  

Jan.26: TOR vs FLA

1. Phaneuf, Winnik, Hunwick
  2. Matthias, Spaling, Hunwick
  3. Spaling
  4. Marincin, Reimer
  5. Reimer

Final score: 5-1 FLA.

Whew. Working overtime again tonight doing this game. The Slump Busters are on the job again. 1: Phaneuf penalty. Winnik allows the pass to go right through him up the middle. Hunwick does a bad pinch/check and is out of position, allowing a total breakaway.  2: Matthias penalty. Spaling leaves his man (who gets the easy entry pass). Hunwick lets his guy skate to the net for the one-timer. 3: Terrible give-away by Spaling. 4: Reimer can't let out a rebound on the long shot here, but he does. Marincin loses his man and is standing behind Reimer somehow. Nice how he slides out of the way to allow the goal. 5: Downey softness on this goal allowed by Reimer. His first really weak goal in a long time.

Panthers tear the Leafs a new orafice in this one. 

Also of note: Hunwick is now up to a team leading 19 defensive errors on the season. Bench this pylon. (Actually don't. We want the golden dookie award!) :)

Archived