Gagner

brelic

I think the other thing interesting about Gagner is that he has largely played out of position most of his career in the NHL.  He may have grown up as a center because he was the most skilled forward on his teams but in the NHL I think his game is better suited for the wing.  Arizona finally moved him to wing last year and he didn't adjust quickly.  Perhaps he was resistant or still fought tendencies of a center.  Right now it looks like he is accepting of the wing and improving.  He's kind of the opposite of G who was brought into the league as a RW but thrived at C.  

@PhilsFanDrew

Interesting point about playing out of position. However, I would think wing is far easier to play than wing. At least there is less defensive responsibility and less skating, but that is just me. He has a cannon of a shot and is looking rather hungry for the puck in the offensive zone. He makes some nice passes in front of the net too. 

I think the other thing interesting about Gagner is that he has largely played out of position most of his career in the NHL.  He may have grown up as a center because he was the most skilled forward on his teams but in the NHL I think his game is better suited for the wing.  Arizona finally moved him to wing last year and he didn't adjust quickly.  Perhaps he was resistant or still fought tendencies of a center.  Right now it looks like he is accepting of the wing and improving.  He's kind of the opposite of G who was brought into the league as a RW but thrived at C.  

• Probably a bigger issue: Gagner is entering his 9th NHL season, and has already on his 7th head coach. This doesn't help a player develop a very well rounded game, particularly when most of that career was spent in the 3 ring circus that has been the Edmonton Oilers organization.
  • Gagner was definitely a center with Arizona last year: he took almost 800 faceoffs.

Archived