Gagner

brelic

I thought this was interesting from Meltzer:

Gagner, who tallied the Flyers' second goal, was originally slated to be a healthy scratch. Brayden Schenn took part in the morning skate but, perhaps still feeling the effects of a heavy hit away from the puck by Dallas Stars forward Antoine Roussel, sat out Wednesday's game with what was was deemed by the Flyers to be an upper-body injury. 

At this point, I would scratch others before Gagner. Am I the only one who sees it that way? Gagner makes smart offensive plays and provides a spark to that line with Laughton and Schenn/Umberger. And for all the talk of his defensive lapses, I have found him to actually hustle back and want to help out. 

Maybe it's just a matter of too many bodies, not enough spots?? 

At this point, I would scratch others before Gagner. Am I the only one who sees it that way? Gagner makes smart offensive plays and provides a spark to that line with Laughton and Schenn/Umberger. And for all the talk of his defensive lapses, I have found him to actually hustle back and want to help out. 

Agree.  For not having played in half the games, he's producing as much as anyone. 

Gagner has earned top 6 minutes. He has a hell of a shot and is not afraid to shoot coming down the wing. His goal last night was a snipe. I would even argue he deserves a look on G's line.

What I like about the goal (and I think his other one too) is that they came from shots where they just flat out beat the goalie.  I remember Read having that kind of release at one time.  I might be reading too much into Gagner's goals but it would appear he is perhaps a shooting threat which I've felt the Flyers have been missing for a long time. 

Either way I've seen enough that his play continues to interest me. 

Gagner has earned top 6 minutes. He has a hell of a shot and is not afraid to shoot coming down the wing. His goal last night was a snipe. I would even argue he deserves a look on G's line.

I would so put him on G's line.   Raffl hasn't really been the problem on that line, but he also doesn't belong there.

I've liked Gagner and would like to see more of him. Both to help the Flyers but also to increase trade value if it's looking unlikely to re-sign the UFA.

Honestly I don't know why Hackstol seems so committed to the 4th line as it is. I'd rather have Umburglar in the lineup over Vandevelde, for example. Not sure if this is just a Sioux/Beavers Sioux/Ducks situation.

I would so put him on G's line.

The GeeVeeGee's™!

Yup. This might be your most intelligent post ever.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut

:thumbsu:

Yes i agree. I posted this last night in one of these threads. I said i'd scratch Vandevelde...RJ has looked good too since coming back so someone has to sit when Brayden is ready let it be CVV.

I said when they added Gagner that the best analogy I could come up with is Schenn-lite. Still applies. 3rd line player on a good team is his best role. He could play for me any day but would have to be used right.

Rather he than Vinnie.

I'm hoping that he has a nice enough season that we can ship him out by the deadline for a nice return 

Well, If he's having a decent season, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing if you can't get him on a 2 year extension before the deadline. If he signs for a low number, keep him around. He's still fairly young, and why trade a young guy who's producing if you can keep him? However, if he's holding out to hit as an UFA, then yeah, you move him.

Gagner should be kept, provided he plays like this all year. The Flyers need secondary scoring and Gagner's providing that. The fact that people want him moved at the trade deadline just leaves me scratching my head because there's nobody in the lineup or on the farm right now that can replace his offense. Gagner has found a fit, has made the most of his opportunities so far and has been pretty decent here. The fact he's scoring in Hakstol's defensive system is a plus. Nope, for me, Gagner stays.

Gagner should be kept, provided he plays like this all year. The Flyers need secondary scoring and Gagner's providing that. The fact that people want him moved at the trade deadline just leaves me scratching my head because there's nobody in the lineup or on the farm right now that can replace his offense. Gagner has found a fit, has made the most of his opportunities so far and has been pretty decent here. The fact he's scoring in Hakstol's defensive system is a plus. Nope, for me, Gagner stays.

In a perfect non Cap world I keep him, too.

If he wants a significant upgrade in salary, I think you need to consider alternatives.

He is a UFA so there are serious considerations to be made.

A lot will have to do with what he wanta.

Well, If he's having a decent season, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing if you can't get him on a 2 year extension before the deadline. If he signs for a low number, keep him around. He's still fairly young, and why trade a young guy who's producing if you can keep him? However, if he's holding out to hit as an UFA, then yeah, you move him.

He's a UFA, so IMO as long as we get a good offer, I'd ship him out. Much like the Flyers should have done with Schultz, he's a dime-a-dozen player that a team may be willing to overpay for at the deadline

At the very least he should be in the lineup every night.

Exactly. And I think Umberger can fill Vandevelde's role on the 4th and PK.

I don't know though. Umberger has looked pretty good when he's been in. Does he have points in every game he's played? Close to it. Of course so did VLC before chief took over.

Can't think of the 4th line in terms of a demotion.

They have a different role.

If Schenn's ready, I really don't know who I'd sit. But I don't thinkni'd play Schenn at Center just to get them all in the lineup.

I used you're right. Umberger might be more suited to the 4th line than anyone.

The fact that we need secondary and 5 on 5 scoring is obvious, we need that. We're getting that, how about we keep that....ya know for awhile?!

I think putting Gagner on G's line would invigorate Jake as well, and Laughton's hustle and determination would invigorate Raffle's scoring productivity.

i am all for having Umberger and Gagner in the lineup at the same time.

Umberger has been good when he's played.  Gagner has a wicked release, and a mentality that is lacking with some of our other forwards...

If we can see it...

For whatever faults Gagner has in his game, he's more than making up for them with putting the puck in the back of the net and creating scoring opportunities. You give a guy like that some slack. He's outscoring our $8m man Voracek... he deserves a longer look at the very least. 

I said when they added Gagner that the best analogy I could come up with is Schenn-lite. Still applies. 3rd line player on a good team is his best role. He could play for me any day but would have to be used right.

Rather he than Vinnie.

Yeah. There's things that Sam Gagner can do, and there's things that you will be extremely frustrated about if you try to force things. If you put him in a position to play some low-leverage minutes against softer comp, you can walk away pretty happy, but if you hard match him against big strong offensive lines, you may not be so thrilled.

Archived