What's Going On?

WingNut722

After another absolutely dismal performance against Boston on Saturday, it's fair to say that something is obviously wrong with the Red Wings this season.  I'm trying to figure out exactly what.  The lack of scoring, line chemistry and puck control are all symptoms of a deeper issue.  I'll spend this post spit-balling as to what that can be, although I'm sure it's a combination of any number of items.  These are the issues that MAY have an impact on Detroit's current funk.

The Coach:  The most visible difference between this season’s team and last is new head coach Jeff Blashill.  Widely touted as more or less a “Babcock Junior” (right down to the voice), most figured there would be little to no difference in the on-ice performance despite the change in bench boss.  Could his coaching style be different in just the wrong way?  If so, if the Red Wings fail to make the post-season this year will Blash be back in Grand Rapids?

The Schedule:  The Red Wings start the first two months of this season with an odd schedule, typically including games on consecutive night (usually Friday and Saturday) then, a game on Tuesday, then nothing until the following Friday, when the pattern refreshes.  Some would argue that the long break in between is too long to sustain any momentum they may have generated the previous night.  Also, having back to back games, (including a late-nite flight in between to wherever) takes its toll no matter who you are.  They may be able to capitalize on a win on Friday, but just too tired to do it.

The InjuriesAs many as five key players out for any particular game, the Red Wings have been playing with half a staff for some time now.  Mike Green, Brad Richards, Pavel Datsyuk, Kyle Quincy, Johan Franzen were all out for the Halloween contest at Ottawa.  (Ironically, this is one of the Wings’ best games this season, winning 5-3, with a very successful power play).  Green and Richards were the big free agents signed this summer to bolster an already potent offense. 

Green and Datsyuk are now back in the lineup.  Franzen is still out (but was he ever really “in”?).  Richards is on the fence and Quincey is out for a good long time.    

The Mental Factor:  It’s been a good long time since the Wings had any REAL momentum and any decent scoring input.  They win games here and there but only with one or two goals.  Has it infiltrated their very psyche?  Detroit ranks dead last in the NHL in shots per game.  You can’t score goals if you don’t shoot the puck.  I see a lot of skating, passing, dancing and dangling, but they do it for too long and invariable end up chasing the other direction.  They seem to be waiting for that open opportunity, when they should be firing everything to the net, no matter how good or bad the opportunity is.  Blashill even says himself that goals in today’s NHL are scored primarily on second chances.  I would have to agree, but the players aren’t generating those first chances.  

Did I miss anything?

Okay so after last night's game, it appears the Wings have pulled a 180 and have returned to their high-flying form.  The proof is in the pudding.  We'll see Wednesday when the Caps come back, who will be a little more aggressive than last time.  Looks like Mrazek will probably be in the nets again too.  Let's see if he can stonewall Ovie again!

@WingNut722

What's going on with Zetterberg? 1 point in November or something like that....

Nobody on the team has been a standout lately.   I think even Zetterberg is "caught up" in the current funk.  He's playing hard, and I do see him trying to make plays, but the Wings are spending an awful lot of time in their defensive zone, so by the time they do break out, the players are all gassed and need a change.  

the Wings are spending an awful lot of time in their defensive zone, so by the time they do break out, the players are all gassed and need a change. 

Huh, that's not what you're used to hearing about the Wings. Do they lack puck-moving D?

Huh, that's not what you're used to hearing about the Wings. Do they lack puck-moving D?

The forwards have been little help to the defense this year, the defense haven't helped the forwards, just a mess. Still in the thick of it for a lower playoff spot.

I think yave's right about the forwards. Most of them are not committed enough to helping the D. The pattern seems to me that a Dman makes a mistake, and there is no forward coming back to help him, leaving an excellent chance for the opposition.

On the other side of the ice, the net front presence is sporadic. Sheahan got a nice scrum-type goal on a second-chance last game, for example. (I thought that line of Helm-Glendening-Sheahan may have been the best line that night.) But those kinds of goals have been rare this season.

Abdelkader is really our only net front presence guy, and he has been quiet. That doesn't mean he hasn't been there for screens and things. He has. But retrievals have been scarce, and he is not corralling the puck for the dirty goal, which is what a net front guy is supposed to generate. I think Pav likes playing with him, because he realizes he is the ONLY Wing who plays this role at all with any regularity, not necessarily because he excels at it. Some is better than none.

Bottom line: if you look at video of our chances vs. opposition chances, you will see that opposing teams have far more players unmarked, alone, and between the circles than we generate. Our forwards are late in helping, and end up looking skyward after they score realizing they were there too late if at all.

Unfortunately, many times the commitment to play proper defense as a forward only comes after repeated failures motivate you enough to make that commitment. I am hoping that our forwards decide not to wait that long, but I'm not so sure that they will. Truthfully, the Wings' best hope is that Larkin takes it upon himself to make this commitment and lead some of the other young guys to do the same. This kind of commitment is usually top-down. There is no question that Hank and Pav are so committed, but they can almost be taken for granted, and that cannot be the mindset. Everyone has to be in. Yzerman did it--granted with a whole lot more talent than we have now. But he's the one who flipped the switch, and the others followed. In my mind, Larkin and maybe Tats and/or Nyke have to do it.

Herb Brooks said it best, "You don't have enough talent to win on talent alone." That's where we live.

Archived