rod hockey game

blocker

How many of you played one of those rod hockey games?  My kids wore two or three of them out.  We played almost every night.

I was Christmas shopping today, and saw some for sale.  Didn't buy one, but I think I'll go back tomorrow to pick up one to have for my great-grand children.

Our best toy, ever.

That's a quality gift right there, I have memories of multiple rod hockey games....my first one was a stand up table version in 1971 or so from Santa, it was Bruins vs Rangers and I wore it out playing with my dad. It had a peg in front of the opposing side goalie where you could stick a 6th attacker, which didn't actually work...or maybe I was just unskilled at the age of 4.

In college a friend bought a Flyers vs Isles one for me and my NYI fan buddy to play, which we did incessantly while pounding beers and insulting each other. And of course I've bought them for my own kids multiple times over the years.

Great topic @blocker

LOL. What a memory. I bought one for my son for Christmas one year (it was really for me). This particular one had the full-figure 3D plastic players, not those flat ones that are just a decal!! One team was blue and white, one was red and white.

He and I played it until it was completely broken. Great fun.

• 3 weeks later...

During the 2005 lockout, a group of us started the Edmonton Table Hockey League. We played hundreds of games each regular season, hosted several tournaments per year, and some league members traveled as far as Russia to take part in the World Stiga Championships. I was alright; made it up 26th in Canada at my highest point, though eternally finished 2nd to the guy who's been #1 in the country for the last ten years. The guy was a gamer: my exhibition record against him in my dining room was .500, but in tournaments he always found a way to win the best-of-7.  lol... 

We ended up moving from Edmonton to Regina, so I was done with that league, but joined the Regina Table Hockey Association. The guys there were great, but only one other player had ever participated in a tournament before, so I ran into a situation where I was crushing the other guys there. They took it well, and I made sure never rub it in. I won the championship each of the two years I was involved, and I don't think it broke their hearts when I decided to quit after that.

I was a Coleco player when I was a kid, and fooled around on some Munro games as well. For the modern game, Stiga (international, not the NHL version) is the start and finish. Great game.

Archived