Friends

blocker

I try to make all my grandchildren's games.  But, it's been a couple weeks since I saw my granddaughter play.  So, this morning, I head south to her game.  I'm greeted with warmth by the other parents..  Made me feel good.  

Every time your kids get involved in an activity, whether it's sports, band, or whatever, you meet a new circle of people.   Those acquaintances turn into friends.  

A really nice side effect of watching kids play.

@blocker

My daughter is a cheerleader.

the organization she cheers for has become a part of her and our extended family, the parents are there to support the kids.  We had a break for the holidays and I found myself missing my "other" kids, fellow cheer dads and moms.  Our group really fosters that sense of community you mention, plus i think team sports go a long way toward helping to socialize our youngsters.  could not agree more with you.

@blocker, @mojo1917

I'm still early on in fatherhood, Nicole is only 3 and Heather was just born in September, but I look forward to the socialization you both mention.  I hear too many stories about the opposite, that parents are actually against each other, trying to make sure their kid is top of the heap.  Glad to know it's not always true.

17 hours ago, WingNut722 said:

I hear too many stories about the opposite, that parents are actually against each other, trying to make sure their kid is top of the heap.  Glad to know it's not always true.

yeah, you have to be careful which organization you choose,  baby girl mojo is physically talented, she is surprisingly strong, has great balance and an abundance of energy, i tried her with soccer first figuring the running would wear her out some.  but the organization we chose( based on it's proximity to our house) was coed for her age group and the boys wouldn't pass her the ball, so she got bored quickly.  

when BGM saw the cheerleaders in a parade she told us" that's what i want to do "and we lucked out with her first coach, who happened to the the mother of her first school friend, (and great person ) that lady had an older daughter and was able to show us the ropes. the two girls remain good friends and have cheered together for 5 years already and they're only 10.  The thing to remember is make sure your girls are having fun doing what they are doing, especially when they're really young otherwise what's the point right ? With the right adults in charge, team sport can be among the best life lesson teachers, those adults make the games fun while reinforcing your good values. We have been fortunate with our choices.

Archived