Don't Look Now....But Here Come The Avalanche

nathan_mackinnon_colorado_avalanche_as_a

With their win over division rival Winnipeg last night, the Avs leapfrogged over a few teams in the Western Conference to land on the 2nd WC spot in that very competitive conference.

Looking back over their last 10 games, the Avs seem like just a pedestrian 5-4-1, but I think that is misleading as this team has been making some serious strides up the contender's ladder going back to early December.

While the team is far from flawless (obviously), there is no doubt that head coach Patrick Roy FINALLY has this team thinking and performing the way they should in order to be amongst the better teams in the West.

The talent has always been there. But various things such as team chemistry, team philosophies, injuries, and underperforming players had been sabotaging this team since they won the Central Division title 3 seasons ago.

Well, from the looks of it, as of this posting, that is no longer the case.

The team is finding ways to win games, whether that be close to the vest affairs, higher scoring games, and it doesn't even seem to matter whether the opponent is a contender or pretender. The Avs have also become somewhat of a 'road warrior' type team too, as many of their most recent wins have been away from Pepsi Center.

How long will this go on? Are they for real to be a top 8 team this season?

Who knows. But like I said, the talent is there. The youth is there. The speed is there.

They are currently a top 10 team in both goals per game and on the PP, while being middle of the pack in PK%. If they can shore up their defense a bit more, and rise in the goals against per game category, a playoff spot for them could be a foregone conclusion.

Whaddya think, HF.net?

Avs making that surge that carries them into the post season? Or will they fizzle out and be an also ran yet again come April?

They were a bit lucky to win in Wpg last night, but then they've lost a few that they shoulda won, so maybe it all works itself out. 

They've made a clear decision on D in the last two weeks, waiving Guenin and Gormley (I think) and calling up Bigras and Zadorov. We'll see if that will work - both have played well by most accounts, but can they keep it up?

13 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

They were a bit lucky to win in Wpg last night, but then they've lost a few that they shoulda won, so maybe it all works itself out. 

They've made a clear decision on D in the last two weeks, waiving Guenin and Gormley (I think) and calling up Bigras and Zadorov. We'll see if that will work - both have played well by most accounts, but can they keep it up?

I didn't see the actual game between the Jets and Avs, but one underrated aspect of Colorado is their ability to match hit for hit against even some of the league's most notorious hitters such as St. Louis, Los Angeles, and Winnipeg.

Not sure if that played a factor in yesterday's win, but when one thinks of Colorado (myself included), one usually thinks about the speed and skill....but they have some guys in there,and really it seems, an overall team philosophy to finish checks whenever possible as well.

This team is an oddity for sure. I lauded their PP while mentioning their PK was middle of the pack, yet looking over at their last 4 games, they have been perfect on the PK ( 12 for 12), yet only went 1 for 9 on the PP during that same stretch. Over those last 4 games? 2-2. That includes getting a shut out, BEING shut out, then trading 2-1 wins and losses with the Jets and Blue Jackets respectively.

Bottom line seems to be: one can no longer look at the Avalanche on the schedule and go "Oh hey, we got Colorado next...should be a win".

Good question as to whether they can keep doing this.

They've got a particularly tough stretch coming up leading up to the ASB....and some more tough games coming out of the break.

Vs Buffalo

Vs St Louis

at Dallas 

at San Jose

at Los Angeles

That is going into the break.

Coming out, they have

Vs Chicago

Vs Dallas

Vs Winnipeg

Vs Vancouver

And that is right before embarking on a three game tour of the Atlantic division out East.

Avs face the Sabres tonight..........does Colorado play high tempo and bury the Sabres, or do they play 'down' to their competition and let Buffalo hang around longer than they should in the contest?

Believe it or not, this isn't a shot at Buffalo, but rather, if you look at the last two months, it seems Colorado has had the most trouble with teams that are at or near the bottom of the standings....while "showing up, rarin' to go" against the better teams in the league..regardless of whether they win or lose.

That's about as close to a pattern as I can find with these Avalanche, as they are truly unpredictable!  :lol:

They play a great game or two...then lay an egg.....play two more great games, followed by two duds, then reel off another three or four good games, etc, etc...without rhyme or reason it seems.

That all said, they are higher up in the standings now then they were when December started, so they are doing enough to progress. I just wonder if they think Buffalo doesn't warrant their full attention.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived