The face of the Leafs

BluPuk

I wonder if there are any Babcock doubters left out there in Leafs land. I have never seen a team whose "face of the franchise" is the coach. There's no way he will be a candidate for the Jack Adams, but he certainly could be.

After the game last night in his post-game scrum, one of the reporters asked him about the size issue the Leafs have and his reply was "I'm aware of it and it will be taken care of in the off-season, I can promise you that." Beauty. Not the usual rhetoric about rebuilding, skill is better than size, "we play big" or any other BS. I can't wait for next season and the one after, .......:)

Who is the player everyone hated? Are you talking about Phaneuf? I loved him as a Leaf and so did most Leafs fans....

If you're referring to Kessel, then I agree. :)

I was hoping someone would ask if I meant Phaneuf or Kessel....so I could say yes.

I'm going to call bs on most Leaf fans loving Phaneuf. His contract was terrible but he was nowhere near as bad as he was made out to be by most Leaf fans.

On 20/03/2016 at 8:14 AM, BluPuk said:

I wonder if there are any Babcock doubters left out there in Leafs land.

I have no doubt that he's a successful NHL coach, but the Leafs are proving that a coach can't win you games. Look at this list:

• Wilson
  • Carlyle
  • Horachek
  • Babcock

Four different coaches in the past three years, three of which had amazing track records of success elsewhere. The result has been the same every time. At the end of the day, Mike Babcock + 20 good NHL players will get you a Stanley Cup. :)

You're not seeing the difference in this team's character since babcock arrived? Are you saying the players did that all on their own?

You underestimate the value of a really good coach. 20 good players and a lousy coach (or any coach) get you a stanley Cup? Whoa.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that...

On 22/03/2016 at 7:20 AM, BluPuk said:

You're not seeing the difference in this team's character since babcock arrived? Are you saying the players did that all on their own?

You underestimate the value of a really good coach. 20 good players and a lousy coach (or any coach) get you a stanley Cup? Whoa.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that...

I get what you're saying, but I'm just looking at from the perspective of results. The Leafs are 30th place. Carlyle got fired when the Leafs dropped out of the top 8. From a purely results-based view, anyone could have coached the Leafs to a last place finish. 

I thought Babcock would be able to get more from this group than other coaches could, but clearly, there is a limit to what a coach can do. 

There have been some positive indicators this season like not getting out-shot every game. That's a good thing, but I'm still waiting to see if Babcock can elevate this team with his coaching system. :biggrin:

OK. Good points all.  I guess when it comes right down to it, there is no reason to attribute the Leafs new attitude to Babcock.

But I am so seldom wrong......:hocky:

:P

Archived