Windsor awarded 2017 Mastercard Memorial Cup!!

jammer2

Wow, some big news out of Windsor, Ont the last few days. It must have killed him to do it, but OHL President Dave Branch came to Windsor to make the official announcement. Feels a little cheap, but my Spits will have a chance at a CHL Championship, regardless of what happens in the OHL playoffs. Pinch me....we are gonna be playing for it all.

It is a good time for Windsor to host, we have 17 returning players, some real nice draft picks coming on the roster also. We have Christian  Fischler, a Yotes 2nd round pick last year who came into the OHL and lit it up with 40 goals and 90+ pts. PP QB Sergi Sergachaev  should be a top 10 pick....6'5 center Logan Brown should go 10-13 ish, Towering 6'7 d-man Logan Stanley might be a late first rounder. Windsor rookie Gabriel Valardi should go from picks 1-5 in 2017, depending on which mock you read....AND, Clayton Keller, slotted to go 10-15 this summer is being wooed by GM Warren Rychel.....wooed....not bought.....lol. He will choose between the NCAA and the OHL....BUT....the automatic trip to the Mem Cup may sway things in the Spits direction.

Spits have this outstanding 16 year old goalie, who is the future named Michael Diepetro. If he plays like I think he will, we may see an invite to the World Jrs, although he can still play with the under 18 team, so not sure how that would work....this kid, he will be a franchise goalie some day in the NHL....just keeps getting better and better. Really like the way he tracks the puck.

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/ohl/windsor/spitfires/191/

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Congrats...it'd be nice if they'd give it to Barrie just once.

@#%&ing Branch. He won't even show his face here when we're in the OHL championship.

Yeah, you guys have waited patiently and have had the teams to push things your way. We can't really complain, since we got the 1981 and coming 2017 tourny's, but the hatred for Branch is REAL strong in Windsor. When he brought the Memorial Cup to town after championship #1....he was booed mercilessly for over a minute during his stroll to center ice. The nice thing, he knows we really do hate him, which brings a level of comfort for some reason....LOL!

Now the tricky part, I know you will not be able to touch a Mem Cup ticket package unless you are a Spits season ticket holder....that would mean spending 500 bucks on season tics and I will miss more than half the games when I work nights. That is just to get my foot in the door, I'm betting the tickets for the whole tourny will be over 500 also.....but I don't know if I can even put a price on watching my team win it all ON HOME ICE.....that is a once in a lifetime proposition.

Well, I just grabbed up a bit of history. Season tickets, section 103, row K....11 rows off the ice near the middle of the arena....I'M IN!!! Guaranteed to have first crack at those seats for the Memorial Cup....

If anyone from the site wants to come to Windsor for the tourny, I will open my house up and give the spare bedroom for the length of the whole tourny....making it much, much cheaper...as long as you're not a serial killer....LMAO!

Hmmm, was kinda pricey....650.00 for the regular season.....gonna be fun to dive head deep into the OHL again!! 

I was just doing a bit of Memorial Cup research.

Teams with most appearances in Memorial Cup Tournament.

1) Regina Pats - 15....ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!   That is just staggering.

2) Oshawa Generals - 12.... OHL all time leader still has a respectable final tally, quite impressive I must say

3)Peteborough Petes - 9...well, you just knew the OHL would have 2 of the top 3...huh?:5726b7ddacc93_bluehockey:

4)Quebec Ramparts - 7 - one of the CHL's gems, a strong competitive team.

5)Gatineau Olympics - 7 - a few QMJHL's tied at 4 and 5...not to shabby.

6)Kamloops Blazers  - 6 - always seem to be knocking at at the door.

7)Kitchener Rangers - 6- The jr team that produced some of the greatest d-men of all time....namely Larry Robinson, Al McInniss, Scott Stevens and Paul Coffey.....absolute astonishing that one OHL team (or any CHL team for that matter) can produced such a wicked stable of Hall of Fame defensemen.

8)Medicine Hat Tigers - 5 - always hovering around 1st in the WHL. Of course, it's cyclical....it's the nature of the beast, but they are up way more than down.

9)Ottawa 67's.....classy org...

10)London Knights- 4  - recent success's have catapulted them into the top 10...much to my chagrin.

11)Sault Ste.Marie Greyhounds.....4 - ....The Sault might cease to exist if it were not for the Greyhounds.

12)Rimouski Oceanic- 4 - lame jersey, great team.

13)Brandon Wheat Kings - 4 - It's a life long dream to take in a home game of the Wheat Kings....great name, nice jersey, classy fan base....a model CHL franchise IMHO.

14)Windsor Spitfires - 4 - What and honour to be lumped into the same group as the Wheat Kings, the Hounds....the Knights....

years Windsor went...

1)1988- Ed Jovo Cops team...went undefeated in the OHL playoffs.....swept all 4 series, won all their games at Memorial Cup....4-0....AND WHAM....in the championship game, Trevor Linden scores the goal viliffied through all of Windsor (forever)....Trevor scores with 8 or 9 seconds left in the 3rd period of the Championship game....WOW....16 consecutive playoff wins....and Linden takes it all away....they rarely had to come back in most games....

2) 2009....Hall, Henrique, Ellis, Welly among others...

3)2010....Hall,  Henrique, Ellis,  Eric Wellwood...Cam Fowler starts his OHL career...

4)2017....well, we can count this chicken before ti's hatched....It should be amazing to see how Boughner and Rychel address and weakness and LOADS up for this chance of a lifetime. Lot's of 2nd round picks will be FLYING out the door!!

If Boughner and Rychel can pull this off, win this Memorial Cup, I believe they will be able to sell their services as a HC/GM combo....they will be in that kinda position of strength.

On 5/5/2016 at 2:33 AM, jammer2 said:

Wow, some big news out of Windsor, Ont the last few days. It must have killed him to do it, but OHL President Dave Branch came to Windsor to make the official announcement. Feels a little cheap, but my Spits will have a chance at a CHL Championship, regardless of what happens in the OHL playoffs. Pinch me....we are gonna be playing for it all.

It is a good time for Windsor to host, we have 17 returning players, some real nice draft picks coming on the roster also. We have Christian  Fischler, a Yotes 2nd round pick last year who came into the OHL and lit it up with 40 goals and 90+ pts. PP QB Sergi Sergachaev  should be a top 10 pick....6'5 center Logan Brown should go 10-13 ish, Towering 6'7 d-man Logan Stanley might be a late first rounder. Windsor rookie Gabriel Valardi should go from picks 1-5 in 2017, depending on which mock you read....AND, Clayton Keller, slotted to go 10-15 this summer is being wooed by GM Warren Rychel.....wooed....not bought.....lol. He will choose between the NCAA and the OHL....BUT....the automatic trip to the Mem Cup may sway things in the Spits direction.

Spits have this outstanding 16 year old goalie, who is the future named Michael Diepetro. If he plays like I think he will, we may see an invite to the World Jrs, although he can still play with the under 18 team, so not sure how that would work....this kid, he will be a franchise goalie some day in the NHL....just keeps getting better and better. Really like the way he tracks the puck.

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/ohl/windsor/spitfires/191/

This year's matchup is set!!!

London, Red Deer, Rouyn- Noranda and Brandon!!!

Should be a good one. I have to pull for the Wheaties....i want Ivan to go out on top...will mean he would most certainly be a Flyer next year what else could he accomplish....yeah i know that is selfish....don't care!

Archived