2016 Playoffs back and forth

Severide

I don't know what more I can say.

Pittsburgh has been, in my eyes, dominating the Bolts but Tampa is still fighting like dogs. Taking a 3-2 series lead over the Pens tonight was huge! They took a 4-0 lead into the 3rd period of game 4 and almost lost it. They came back with just about 4 minutes left tonight to tie the game and a smart play by Kuch leads to Garrison tossing the puck into the net off Johnson's backside (Johnson was credited with the goal.) Minus the mediocre play of Pittsburgh in periods 1 and 2 in game three, they have been the better team in the series, but spectacular goaltending by Vasy has left a dent in their record. When Bishop is healthy enough to play, I personally would sit him on the bench. In the past four games Vasy has faced, 41, 48, 38 and 34 shots. He has also allowed 3, 4, 3 and 3 goals. That is the only thing that is to worry about. He is dead on with the NHL average goalie (who allows 1 goal every 10 shots.) If Murray or Fluery decide to shut the door... its over. Vasy needs to find a way in game 6 and if needed 7 to allow 2 or less goals if Tampa is headed back to the cup. If Vasy can step up, I see Tampa in 6, if he keeps being Average and allowing 1 goal every 10 - I think Pens take it in 7.

On the West! San Jose and St. Louis - this one had me, at the start of game 1 I was all for St. Louis because I don't like Joe Thornton. However, since the 1st period ended in game 1, I decided that I really like this Sharks team. Jones, the dude is on point! He is damn near perfect, but sometimes he looks a little lost in net. That loss doesn't come often but it bit the hell out of him in game 4. I really like the all around depth of the Sharks and how productive even the 4th line has been. There is not real number one line with them because they all hustle and do their jobs. You can say there is a "real number one" line with them, but you don't NEED to. What is a bit of a worry for the Sharks would be if St. Louis can perfect their play like periods one and two in game 4. However, the showed that they can score on Allen even if one goal was friendly fire. I expect this to go to 7 games and I expect San Jose to win it and the only factor will be overall depth. While St. Louis showed they can use their depth, their depth doesn't show up in every game like the Sharks has. The only way I see STL winning is if Allen steals it, and he is capable for sure.

Pittsburgh has a hole on defense with Daley out that can't be fixed.  Letang is their Achilles heel.    And now that they have put Fleury in they've created a goalie controversy for game 6 which has opened a hole in their confidence.  I think all that the Lightning need to do to win another game is to continue to win battles with their speed.  Lightning in 6.

I expect the western conference to fully go 7 games as well.  Both teams need to take their play to a new level.  The one that can't keep up will lose this.

@hf101 - What is wrong with Letang? I used to think the dude was actually an all-star D. This season though, well mainly the playoffs (didnt watch them much through the season) he has been terrible. He has been a dirty player, a cry baby, he is on the ice for more goals against than anyone else it seems, and he makes some of the worst plays mentally than I have ever seen his make before....is it the shorter hair?

As for the net, that is a huge issue. I would not have started MAF because other than really that one game, Murray has been solid for them and almost all the goals in that game 4 were not really his fault. Looking at MAF's game, the 2nd goal against, he came across super weird but still may not have been his fault even if he was a little more positional. However, that 3rd goal! You HAVE to think fatigue (due to the lack of playing time) because there is no reason to be beat that clean on a wrap. He looked bad in the entire third period and I think that it would be a dagger to start him again. Who knows what it does to the kid too in Murray, you basically killed him off because of his teams play and now to save them, they will probably toss him back in (unless they have lost all their brains) and hope that he can save this team. I really think Murray can steal the series and Fluery will lose it. I still think if Tampa wants to win in 6, Vasy MUST allow 2 or less goals, it doesn't matter that Tampa can score if its an off night and they can only get one or two. He needs to be a freak of nature and have a 49 of 50 kind of game.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 9:04 AM, Flyersaremykindofjoke said:

@hf101 - What is wrong with Letang? I used to think the dude was actually an all-star D. This season though, well mainly the playoffs (didnt watch them much through the season) he has been terrible. He has been a dirty player, a cry baby, he is on the ice for more goals against than anyone else it seems, and he makes some of the worst plays mentally than I have ever seen his make before....is it the shorter hair?

As for the net, that is a huge issue. I would not have started MAF because other than really that one game, Murray has been solid for them and almost all the goals in that game 4 were not really his fault. Looking at MAF's game, the 2nd goal against, he came across super weird but still may not have been his fault even if he was a little more positional. However, that 3rd goal! You HAVE to think fatigue (due to the lack of playing time) because there is no reason to be beat that clean on a wrap. He looked bad in the entire third period and I think that it would be a dagger to start him again. Who knows what it does to the kid too in Murray, you basically killed him off because of his teams play and now to save them, they will probably toss him back in (unless they have lost all their brains) and hope that he can save this team. I really think Murray can steal the series and Fluery will lose it. I still think if Tampa wants to win in 6, Vasy MUST allow 2 or less goals, it doesn't matter that Tampa can score if its an off night and they can only get one or two. He needs to be a freak of nature and have a 49 of 50 kind of game.

Congratulations, you just described the entire penguins roster.

Archived