Official 2016 HF.net NHL Mock Draft

pilldoc

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Great pick for Vancouver, they are getting long in the tooth and a big center with all of the tools is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Totally agree...in 62 games Pierre registered 42G and 57A for a total of 99 points for the Screaming Eagles of Cape Brenton.  A dynamic player, who, if the Flyers had been picking top 10, I would love for them to target.  Vancouver needed a dynamic playmaker and it was either going to be Dubois or Tkachuck. 

Craig Button:

"He has elite skill, with power and intelligence. Dubois has the ability to play a multi-faceted game balancing all of the essential elements, and is equally adept finishing a play or setting one up. There is so much in his game that reminds me of Dallas Stars captain Jamie Benn, including the versatility to play centre. All of these elements put him in the discussion with the Finnish players."

Curtis Joe of Elite Prospects:

"A dexterous and driven competitor that has all the makings of a dynamic two-way winger. Not the most electric skater, but is shifty and plays to the extent of his physical capabilities; he knows his limits and plays within them, which facilitates a student-like approach to the growth of his game. Possesses high hockey-IQ and is consistent in his efforts. Not the most physical player, but is when he needs to be. All-in-all, Dubois is an invaluable all-around player who plays in all situations and exceeds expectations when the opportunity arises."

An excellant addition to this club as the Sedin twins are not getting any younger......

Grade: A

1 minute ago, peter puck said:

@pilldoc epic fail...... The Arizona Coyotes select  LW from Mississauga of the OHL Alexander Nylander 

(chuckling)...no worries! :)  All is good...you are among friends here. :toast:

Ok...back to the pick. I think here Arizona makes a nice choice to increase their offense.  Though I think OEL could use some help on defense since Yandle was traded to the Rangers.  Nylander will help bring the offense. Alex demonstrates an elite goal-scorer's touch. Don't be surprised to see him fooling goaltenders in the big league, as we've seen him do so many times before. His knack around the net makes him lethal in the offensive zone; whether he's hammering home a one-timer, deking goalies, or simply beating them on his shot. He remains unpredictable to defenders and goaltenders alike, as he can beat you with any one of his traits of playmaking, shifty East-West skating, and dazzling stickhandling in addition to his remarkable release.

If there are any flaws to his game it is that he needs to work on his defense a bit more and the he needs to bulk up from his current weight of 175 lbs. There is some concern to whether he honors his 2 yr contract that he signed with Rogle B.K. in 2016-2017.

The Draft Anaylsis:

"He’s an excellent skater with a deadly shot, but he can score goals from in close thanks to a ridiculous set of hands. Nylander is able to make smart decisions as he maneuvers through traffic, and his ability to stickhandle in and around a dense field of sticks and skates while knowing exactly where his linemates will be makes him an indefensible threat on the rush. He’s impossible to prepare for, as he can beat you with his playmaking or his heavy shot."

Bill Plazek:

"As a scorer, he will raise you from your seat with his accurate blistering shot. When his team has possession in the offensive zone, he will find the crack of open space in coverage and surprise with an accurate shot of the pass. His new found quick feet and balance add to his agility and stop/start ability. He always was good East-West who was ultra shifty with the puck. He is now quicker, more dynamic and possible the most skilled player in the draft."

Certainly Alex has top end prospect talent, but with Arizona also needing defensive help and Nylander's questionable availability for next season is the sole reason my grade for this pick is a Solid B+.

Grade = B+

@pilldoc Buffalo is now on the clock.   (I will submit my pick later this evening or 1st thing tomorrow morning)

19 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@pilldoc

HA! Got it, thanks!

BTW what was your assessment of Tkachuk to the Flames?

Sorry totally forgot about Tkachuk. Will try to have one posted either tonight or tomorrow .

11 hours ago, MN Wild fan said:

the vancouver canucks select Pierre Luc Dubois

I think Vancouver will be ecstatic to draft Dubois.  He is exactly what they need for a second line center for a couple of year until he can take over the #1 line.

41 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@pilldoc

HA! Got it, thanks!

BTW what was your assessment of Tkachuk to the Flames?

I think the Flyers need to move up in the draft to claim Tkachuk.  :5726b5fbef6cc_pyramiddance:, probably my favorite player of this years draft.

This kid is the real deal.  The thought of a line with Gaudreau, Monahan, and Tkachuk ....AH WOW.

The Buffalo Sabres organization would like to thank Hockeyforums.net for sponsoring this mock draft.  Therefore without further ado,  with the 8th pick, the Buffalo organization would like to welcome from the Windsor Spitfires, defenseman, Mikhail Sergachev.

Sergachev brings to the Sabres what they are currently lacking, a left-handed shot defenseman who can also bring some offensive skills.  In 67 games with the Spitfires, he scored 17G to go along with 40A for a total of 57 points.  In 5 playoff games he had 5 pts (2G, 3A).

Mikhail Sergachev can do it all in both ends of the rink. He is good with the puck on his stick, showing stickhandling poise and great passing skill. He effectively starts the rush with good breakout passes, and can also break down the defence with good passes on the power play. He has high-end hockey IQ, and makes the smart play with the puck on his stick. Sergachev has a strong slap shot and an effective wrist shot, both of which he can use to score from the blueline. He keeps the puck low and gets it on net, even through heavy traffic, allowing his teammates to set-up screens, get tip-ins, and pounce on rebounds. Sergachev’s offensive game is among the best of any blueliner in this draft class, and he could be a power play quarterback in the NHL in just a few short years.

Sergachev is also a big body on the backend who plays good defence with a physical edge. He keeps his man to the outside, is strong on the boards and in front of the net, and generally plays strong in his own end.

Sergachev not only made the OHL All-Rookie First Team, appeared in the Canadian Hockey League Top Prospects game, and led all defenseman in the league in goals. He also won the Max Kaminsky Trophy for the league's most outstanding defenseman.

Curtis Joe:

A dominant two-way defenceman whose tenacity and competitiveness characterize his style of play. Plays with a poise and confidence that facilitates his creativity with the puck as well as split-second decision making. Naturally fluid skater who is always looking to be engaged, if not the center, of each unfolding play. All-in-all, a diligent two-way defenceman who excels at finding ways to be a difference-maker in games.

Kournianos The Draft Analyst:

Sergachev has anchored Windsor’s top pairing since the season began, logging minutes on both the top power play and penalty killing units. He possesses above-average speed, and owns a powerful stride which makes him difficult to stop when in full flight. Additionally, Sergachev is a mobile playmaker from the back end, capable of connecting on and receiving difficult passes, whether up the ice or diagonally through a maze of sticks. Most impressive is his hard shot, which he can fire with substantial velocity from the point’s deepest areas. The pace and complexity of the next level shouldn’t intimidate him, but his slot coverage is one area where he must improve to complete his development.

Brock Otten:

I also love Sergachev's ability and poise when running the point on the powerplay. He possesses an absolute laser of a shot, specifically his one timer, which resulted in a league leading 17 goals from the blueline.

Benn Kerr (Last Word on Sports) does report the one negative on Sergachev,

“However, there are times when he could work better in front of his own net. He can sometimes lose his man in coverage, and will need to work on this going forward.”

His defensive skills are fixable with experience - something he will definitely get, especially if his skills translate to the next level.

In Sergachev, the Sasbre’s accomplish what they set out to do with their #8 pick, if no elite winger was available, then drafting a big mobile defensiveman who can eat up plenty of minutes, QB the powerplay and have an offensive touch.  In a few years pairing Sergachev with Rasmus Ristolainen, the Sabres will have have a deadly 1-2 punch as their top defensive pair who can both score and QB the PP.

Has been favorably compared to Ivan Provorov.

Draft Grade = A

http://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2016/5/27/11779330/-offensive-generator-mikhail-sergachev-sergachyov-2016-nhl-draft-prospect-profile

35 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Nice pick Doc, I really thought he would be the first defenseman off the board. Fits in well with what Buffalo is building.

Thanks...IMO you have the top 3 D-man prospects..(Chychrun, Juolevi, Sergachev)..who all seem pretty much equal.  Sergachev IMO is just a tad higher than Chychrun because of his ability to run the PP and the fact he was the Rookie of the Year Defensemen wise for the OHL.  This kid has lots of room to improve upon an already impressive body of work.  Outside of Edmonton (who took Chychrun in this mock), the only other team I possibly saw draft a D-man was Arizona who needs to give OEL some help.  You pair Sergachev with Ristolainen and ini a few years Buffalo's top pair will be deadly.  This is not a knock on Juolevi at all, who himself is top prospect.  IMO, for the purpose of this mock, I just see Sergachev a better fir for the Sabres.

Some mocks I read did have the Sabres drafting Bellows or Juolevi, but in the end I choose the Russian.  In one mock I even saw McAvoy being drafted by the Sabres.  I just can't put McAvoy above Sergachev or Juolevi at this point.

If I am a Sabres fan, I would be running to the podium if Sergachev is still there.  I think he will be that good.

PS.. I did not forget about Tkachuk to the Flames...will try to post my thoughts on this later today.

7 hours ago, pilldoc said:

@MrDanglez67 the Monreal Canadiens are now on the clock! :) 

With The 9th pick the Montreal Canadiens proudly select from the Windsor spitfires Logan Brown.

Brown is just what the habs need a big two way scoring center that will play on one of our top two lines in the years to come!!!!!!!

On 6/1/2016 at 9:13 AM, yave1964 said:

With the sixth pick in the draft, the Calgary Flames proudly draft Matthew Tkachuk. This is a team desperately in need of forwards, with an elite group on the back end and only Gaudreau and Monahan up front, the Flames go best forward available and are delighted to find Tkachuk still sitting here waiting to be scooped up. A high energy player who goes into the corners and comes out with the puck and plays in the dirty parts of the ice with glee like is Dad. Sorry Arizona, had to scoop him up. 

Calgary here got themselves a very promising player.  The question should be...Can he be considered with the top 3? (Mathews, Laine, Pulejarvi)  Obviously he had a tremendous year with London and scoring the GWG OT in the Memorial Cup is what every little kid in Pee Wee hockey dreams about.  The other question that gets begged to be asked....how would he fair if he was not playing on a line with Marner and Dvorak?  Those 3 put up some incredible astounding number both during the regular season and the playoffs.

"Strong on the puck, good playmaker who gets to the net and finishes. Tenacious, good in traffic and sticks up for himself and teammates... just like his dad." - Todd Warriner

"Tkachuk is a highly skilled winger with two-way capabilities. A player who combines a strong work ethic with tremendous hockey sense to be effective in all three zones, Tkachuk excels both as a playmaker and goal scorer. Tkachuk boasts an excellent shot that combines a quick and deceptive release with strong accuracy and impressive velocity. Tkachuk also protects the puck effectively, shows above average puck control and makes good decisions in possession. Tenacious on the forecheck, Tkachuk shows a willingness to engage physically and will use his size to his advantage excelling on net drives off the rush, while also showing no hesitance to play in and through traffic." - Mike Mackley

"His skill in possession, relentless puck pursuit and impressively quick (and smart) hockey mind allows him to process plays quicker than his peers and dominate possession time." - Anthony Mauro

"He really knows where to go and it's rare to find a player that age with that type of ability. He plays a lot like his father, Keith... has a lot of the characteristics that James Van Riemsdyk possessed in his draft year." - Mke Morreale

I am not surprised that Calgary had a chance to pick him here.  The Big 3 were all going to Toronto, Winnipeg and Columbus.  Edmonton needs defense.  I am surprised that Vancouver passed on Tkachuk.  Calgary will be more than willing to snag Tkachuk here.  Like @hf101 mention..a line of Monahan, Gudreaeu, and now Tkachuk will be a potent line for years to come. Sure the Flames could have gone defense here and snagged one of the other 2 top defensemen still available, but when a talent like Tkachuk falls in your lap, I think the Flames did the right thing here by snagging Tkachuk before Arizona had the chance.

Ryan Kennedy of The Hockey News - April 5, 2016 - "Smart, creative and hard-working, Tkachuk has been locked in at No. 4 in the draft rankings by scouts, behind Matthews, Laine and Puljujarvi."

Ryan Kennedy of The Hockey News - February 9, 2016 - "What more can be said about Tkachuk? The kid just keeps churning out highlight-reel goals and just to mix it up, he has practically perfected the tip-in at the top of the crease. When you’re big, talented and smart, you can do that."

Damien Cox of Sportsnet - January 13, 2016 - "It’s Tkachuk’s playmaking more than his scoring that stands out when you watch him. Was very good at WJC."

Curtis Joe of Elite Prospects - 2016 - "A multi-dimensional energy winger that plays a pro-style, adaptive game. Well-versed as a guy who can consistently put up points, but also as an agitator who plays with a little bit of bite and nastiness. Skates with excellent balance and speed, outclassing many in his age range. No lack of offensive instincts and knows how to score in many different ways. Confidence in his abilities and playing to the extent of his capabilities strengthens his work ethic and creativity."

I truly like the pick here for Calgary.

Draft Grade = A

So happy I get to be Joe Sakic....

The Avalanche are proud and ecstatic with the #10 overall selection in the 2016 NHL entry draft to pick London Knights defenseman Olli Juolevi.

@hf101 the New Jersey Devils are on the clock.

38 minutes ago, MrDanglez67 said:

With The 9th pick the Montreal Canadiens proudly select from the Windsor spitfires Logan Brown.

Brown is just what the habs need a big two way scoring center that will play on one of our top two lines in the years to come!!!!!!!

The Habs are an enigma...starting the season with gangbusters they seemed invincible until all world goalie Price got hurt.  They finished the season with a whimper and out of the playoffs.  So were do the Habs go from here?  Besides needing a solid back up netminder, the Habs have no real "elite" players. Montreal is an oddly constructed team, with an abundance of bottom-six forwards floating around but not a lot of talent available to round out the top two lines.

They definitely need to add a forward with top-six potential — preferably someone who can score goals and has a bit of size. That package may be tough to come by at No. 9, though, and most of the forwards who will be available at this spot will have slipped a bit because they are on the small side.

This is were Logan Brown fits in nicely.  If the Canadiens are bent on adding size to their forward unit, they don’t have to look beyond the 6’6″, 225-pound Logan Brown. He’s a towering power forward who is noted for his outstanding vision.

The Draft Anyalst:

"Massive playmaking two-way center with a lethal shot who’s been centering Windsor’s top line all season. The son of Ottawa 67’s head coach Jeff Brown — a former all-star defensemen in the NHL — Logan is a physical specimen indeed, using a massive wingspan and strength to win his puck battles and transition quickly to offense. He can be a joy to watch, using above-average speed but a powerful long stride and reach to protect the puck off the rush. He’s an excellent passer, blessed with a sixth sense to anticipate and dissect the defensive scheme presented to him. Brown owns a very heavy shot — one of the draft’s best among forwards — which he can fire with accuracy off the pass via a quick release. He was a bit pass-happy the first few months of the season, but his coachability and dedication towards refining his all-around game resulted in a goal-scoring explosion since January."

Future Considerations:

"A tall, lanky power forward that possesses a dangerous shot that he can get on net from anywhere on the ice. He is not afraid to use his frame to muscle his way to the net or work the boards. Possesses impressive vision and playmaking ability from the outside and has the unique blend of imposing Big Rig size with solid speed although improvement to his first two steps is required. Needs to continue to add strength to his frame and bring more consistency to his overall game. Has high-end top line NHL upside."

Brown entered the year as a preseason top 10 pick in many 2016 NHL Mock Drafts, but fell after getting off to a rough start. Brown finished the season on a high note and will probably go anywhere from 10-15 which right around where Montreal is at.  There are more highly skilled forwards still on the board, but they don't bring the size that Brown brings.  They could have added a defenseman here especially considering if they plan on moving PK Subban and his monster contract.  In that case they would be passing on Olli Juolevi. The last of the big 3 defensemen in this draft.

Logan fills a need, but was he the BPA?

Draft grade = B+/A-

53 minutes ago, sekkes85 said:

So happy I get to be Joe Sakic....

The Avalanche are proud and ecstatic with the #10 overall selection in the 2016 NHL entry draft to pick London Knights defenseman Olli Juolevi.

@hf101 the New Jersey Devils are on the clock.

I will post my thoughts on this pick later this evening.......

@hf101

@FD19372

@AJgoal

@Lunatic

@MN Wild fan

@yave1964

@peter puck

@pilldoc

@MrDanglez67

@sekkes85

Awesome we got the 1st 10 picks in. Great Job everyone.  Below is quick recap of the 1st 10 picks.  Also please note...I received a PM from @MN Wild fan who has asked me to pick his next 2 picks due to going on a trip.  He has given me instructions on who to draft if they are available.  At this rate we should be done before the draft commences on June 24th.  Great Job everyone!

Draft Pos.

NHL Team

Player

Position

HF.net member

Draft Grade

Toronto Maple Leafs

Auston Matthews

C

@hf101

A+

Winnipeg Jets

Patrick Laine

RW

@FD19372

A+

Columbus Blue Jackets

Jesse Puljuljarvi

RW

@AJgoal

A+

Edmonton Oilers

Jakob Chychrun

D

@Lunatic

B+

Vancouver Canucks

Pierre Luc Dubois

C/LW

@MN Wild fan

A

Calgary Flames

Matthew Tkachuk

LW

@yave1964

A

Arizona Coyotes

Alexander Nylaner

RW/LW

@peter puck

B+

Buffalo Sabres

Mikhail Sergachev

D

@pilldoc

A

Monreal Canadiens

Logan Brown

C/LW

@MrDanglez67

B+/A-

Colorado Avalance

Olli Juolevi

D

@sekkes85

A+

18 hours ago, pilldoc said:

@hf101

@FD19372

@AJgoal

@Lunatic

@MN Wild fan

@yave1964

@peter puck

@pilldoc

@MrDanglez67

@sekkes85

Awesome we got the 1st 10 picks in. Great Job everyone.  Below is quick recap of the 1st 10 picks.  Also please note...I received a PM from @MN Wild fan who has asked me to pick his next 2 picks due to going on a trip.  He has given me instructions on who to draft if they are available.  At this rate we should be done before the draft commences on June 24th.  Great Job everyone!

Draft Pos.

NHL Team

Player

Position

HF.net member

Draft Grade

Toronto Maple Leafs

Auston Matthews

C

@hf101

A+

Winnipeg Jets

Patrick Laine

RW

@FD19372

A+

Columbus Blue Jackets

Jesse Puljuljarvi

RW

@AJgoal

A+

Edmonton Oilers

Jakob Chychrun

D

@Lunatic

B+

Vancouver Canucks

Pierre Luc Dubois

C/LW

@MN Wild fan

A

Calgary Flames

Matthew Tkachuk

LW

@yave1964

A

Arizona Coyotes

Alexander Nylaner

RW/LW

@peter puck

B+

Buffalo Sabres

Mikhail Sergachev

D

@pilldoc

A

Monreal Canadiens

Logan Brown

C/LW

@MrDanglez67

B+/A-

Colorado Avalance

Olli Juolevi

D

@sekkes85

A+

Lol u put Keith Tkachuk instead of Matthew Tkachuk ?

4 hours ago, MrDanglez67 said:

Lol u put Keith Tkachuk instead of Matthew Tkachuk ?

LOL!!! Oops! LOL ....sorry my bad :) 

EDIT...I just now fixed it!  LOL ...been a long day! Thanks for the catch! :)

The New Jersey Devils need a potenial top 6 forward that can make plays and score goals as they have depth in their system at defense and goaltending.  Thus, it gives me great pleasure to select Clayton Keller as the 11th pick in the draft. Keller is going to be a great offensive player in the NHL. He is undersized but has elite hockey IQ, elite playmaking and vision, and great skating to make up for his size, very much like a Patrick Kane. 

Ben Kerr, Lastwordonsports - "Clayton Keller is a quick skater with an outstanding first step and an ability to accelerate extremely quickly.  He can dart into openings in the offensive zone, creating space to get a pass and get off a quick shot.  Keller’s ability to change speeds on the rush can create nightmares for defencemen.  He also has excellent agility and the edgework necessary to weave through traffic and create scoring chances. The exceptional skating often allows Keller to gain a step on defenders, and force them into taking penalties to prevent him creating a scoring chance. Keller will need to add muscle to his frame going forward though, as he can get knocked around by bigger defenders at this point. He needs to strengthen his core in order to improve his balance and be more effective in the corners and in front of the net."

Future Considerations - "A small but highly dynamic playmaker that is not afraid to go to the greasy areas for a scoring chance. He skates well with the ability to rocket down the ice and add a quick lateral burst to get through a hole when required. Has very impressive vision and ability to pick up options all over the ice all while maintaining possession and protecting the puck. Is a 100% effort player who rarely takes a shift off. Also possesses a pin-point shot that he hits his mark with when in a position to score. A very dangerous offensive player who has definite top six NHL potential."

Archived