Blues starting to show their talent

Buffalo Rick

Badda bing, baddo boom!  iN goes the puck in Calgary and its now 4-2 as the Blues just scored a couple of beauties.  They should have little trouble disposing of the Flames.   The Kings were up 3-0 and now its 3-2.  The Kings are still far better than the Canucks.  How bad will it be without Quick is the question.  They need to score and score often.  They are talented for sure.  But I am wondering if its going to be enough to get in in a tough Western conference.  I still stand by my Blues pick to win it all.  But of course Allen must prove himself  to Hitchcock or moves will be made to fix it.  When you have Teresenko all things are possible.  He is a monster of a player.  In the East I still think its going to come down to Washington and  Tampa.  I am not including Pittsburgh because I do not like teams to repeat and they always have the "Stanley Cup hangover".  Crosby has health issues and we know that he must be 100% for them to win.  If there are sleepers in the East to simply go deep, I would have to mention Florida for sure, and the way Detroit is playing who knows? Philly could make noise also.  Montreal seems to depend too much on Price. The Leafs are scoring goals but they are still a joke to me until they prove otherwise.  I believe the Sabres will finish ahead of the Leafs if Eichel does in fact return in shape in a timely manner.  If not, we are in for one long season.  I do not like the Rangers this year at all.  Maybe they prove me wrong.  I doubt it.  The Caps are on a mission.  Tampa is very good.  But my pick is St Louis over the Capitals, assuming big Ovy stays in the lineup.

On 10/22/2016 at 11:55 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

Badda bing, baddo boom!  iN goes the puck in Calgary and its now 4-2 as the Blues just scored a couple of beauties.  They should have little trouble disposing of the Flames.   The Kings were up 3-0 and now its 3-2.  The Kings are still far better than the Canucks.  How bad will it be without Quick is the question.  They need to score and score often.  They are talented for sure.  But I am wondering if its going to be enough to get in in a tough Western conference.  I still stand by my Blues pick to win it all.  But of course Allen must prove himself  to Hitchcock or moves will be made to fix it.  When you have Teresenko all things are possible.  He is a monster of a player.  In the East I still think its going to come down to Washington and  Tampa.  I am not including Pittsburgh because I do not like teams to repeat and they always have the "Stanley Cup hangover".  Crosby has health issues and we know that he must be 100% for them to win.  If there are sleepers in the East to simply go deep, I would have to mention Florida for sure, and the way Detroit is playing who knows? Philly could make noise also.  Montreal seems to depend too much on Price. The Leafs are scoring goals but they are still a joke to me until they prove otherwise.  I believe the Sabres will finish ahead of the Leafs if Eichel does in fact return in shape in a timely manner.  If not, we are in for one long season.  I do not like the Rangers this year at all.  Maybe they prove me wrong.  I doubt it.  The Caps are on a mission.  Tampa is very good.  But my pick is St Louis over the Capitals, assuming big Ovy stays in the lineup.

I'm not sure if the Capitals could get rid of their 2nd round jinx! St. Louis hasn't been to the cup since 1970, and were swept the 3 times they went to the Cup Finals! I hope they win a cup soon, as long as they don't play the Pens!

• 2 weeks later...

Blues have had talent for a few YEARS now!

That has never been the issue.

"Blues starting to show their talent"?

Errr, you mean, they weren't showing talent before?? When they had excellent regular seasons, were favored by some in playoff matchups, and even had reasonable shots at winning it all?

Ahh, but THERE is the problem.

Great regular seasons where the big bodied (and yes, talented...this is no secret to anyone) Blues can grind out 4 lines every game against good teams, bad teams, and in-between teams.

But when it comes down to "matching" as happens in the playoffs, and when it comes down to being under the microscope by the opposing team in a 7 game series where either the St. Louis players, coaches, and management have to make critical adjustments, it just doesn't seem to happen for them.

Throw in some questionable trades/signings over the years to address problems that weren't real big deals while leaving the REAL problems unaddressed, and it's not hard to see why the Blues have had such problems in the post season DESPITE having and "showing their talent" during the regular season.

Blues finish tops in their division? Blues get home ice for the playoffs? Blues are favored in any given series in the post season?

That's all old hat for that team.

At this point, I think even just a Western Conference championship would be a "win" for this organization.

But it's all they can do just to escape rounds 1 and 2.

Until they prove otherwise, they are a talented team who are built for an 82-game grind....but not necessarily one built for the "matching" and games of human chess that happen in the post season.

Archived