I've Had it with Klefbom

Parture

Edmonton vs. Toronto

I've refrained from complaining about Klefbom even though he has made tonnes of horrible mistakes since my last comments. Against Toronto, Klefbom did a horrible job of clearing the puck which put the Maple Leafs up 1 to 0. It was the stupidest of all mistakes.

When Davidson is healed up, I would bench Klefbom.

I would also like to say McLellan is annoying. He changed the lines up in the 3rd period against Ottawa. Just because Oilers scored no goals in the first two periods is no reason to change the lines up. That reeks of desperation. McLellan should keep his emotions out of it.

9 minutes ago, Parture said:

Edmonton vs. Toronto

I've refrained from complaining about Klefbom even though he has made tonnes of horrible mistakes since my last comments. Against Toronto, Klefbom did a horrible job of clearing the puck which put the Maple Leafs up 1 to 0. It was the stupidest of all mistakes.

When Davidson is healed up, I would bench Klefbom.

Yes, it was a stinky play, but he is still pretty young. I think he has learned all he can at the AHL level, but maybe stick him on the last pairing, gives him less dangerous players to deal with. I still think he will be a solid d-man, but yeah, he has not played well of late.

EDIT...nice slapper from the point by Kleffer....he does have some offense upside.

I know McLellan is trying to space out his scoring, but I'm not sure this Maroon on the second line with RNH and and Kassian on the 3rd with Drisital is gonna work out. There is enough talent where they should just make the top 6 scorers and put the new bruise brothers on the 3rd line together.

8 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

he does have some offense upside.

He is still one of the worst players on the Oilers in terms of his +/- career at -31. Other players in his position on the Oilers don't do as poorly. The reason why the Oilers lost against Buffalo was Klefbom gave up 2 goals (Nurse gave up 2 also, and Talbot gave up 1 that night). It looks like another night of Klefbom causing the Oilers to lose again unless he can redeem himself against Toronto. The clock is ticking.

Just now, Parture said:

He is still one of the worst players on the Oilers in terms of his +/- career at -31. Other players in his position on the Oilers don't do as poorly. The reason why the Oilers lost against Buffalo was Klefbom gave up 2 goals (Nurse gave up 2 also, and Talbot gave up 1 that night). It looks like another night of Klefbom causing the Oilers to lose again unless he can redeem himself against Toronto. The clock is ticking.

Well, there are a few positives. One, he is a respectable skater, very important if he's gonna be any kind of an impact player eventually....and he does have a rocket from the point. Most of his troubles are mental, confused in his own end and he sucks at knowing when to pinch in from the point.....but these things can be overcome with time. He is essentially learning on the fly, which is tough on a young blueliner.

1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

I know McLellan is trying to space out his scoring, but I'm not sure this Maroon on the second line with RNH and and Kassian on the 3rd with Drisital is gonna work out. There is enough talent where they should just make the top 6 scorers and put the new bruise brothers on the 3rd line together.

Oilers are doing fine with their lines as is.

Lucic-McD-Ebs

Poul-RNH-Kass

Maro-Drais-Pulju

Lander(Benson)-Let(Caggi)-Pitlick

Klef(Davidson)-Lars

Russell-Sek

Nurse-Benning

1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

Well, there are a few positives. One, he is a respectable skater, very important if he's gonna be any kind of an impact player eventually....and he does have a rocket from the point. Most of his troubles are mental, confused in his own end and he sucks at knowing when to pinch in from the point.....but these things can be overcome with time. He is essentially learning on the fly, which is tough on a young blueliner.

Unfortunately there is nobody to replace him.

Reminds me of when Ference shot the puck behind the net and when it hit the board it popped out right in front of the net and Oilers were scored on.

It's a game of attrition through not making mistakes.

20 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Klefbom's had a wobbly game in his own end tonight; there's no two ways about it. He's having a good season, but I definitely agree about this game.

Ya you wouldn't know it by his +/- which is good this season so far.

41 minutes ago, Parture said:

Ya you wouldn't know it by his +/- which is good this season so far.

the +/- often reflects how well the line is playing -- not just one particular player

2 minutes ago, hf101 said:

the +/- often reflects how well the line is playing -- not just one particular player

Over the long haul it gives a good picture of a player, e.g. Yak's -88 or Eberle's -51 which explains why Ebs is struggling to generate points next to the best player in the NHL. Shultz -22, Letestu -21. If they are going to be used they have to be used very sparingly. Klefbom is looking good with his +/- because of other players, particularly Larsson, but I see all the mistakes Klef makes, and he has a weak slap shot.

1 hour ago, Parture said:

Oilers are doing fine with their lines as is.

Lucic-McD-Ebs

Poul-RNH-Kass

Maro-Drais-Pulju

Lander(Benson)-Let(Caggi)-Pitlick

Klef(Davidson)-Lars

Russell-Sek

Nurse-Benning

I know Maroon has a nice set of hands for a big man, but his first few steps are painfully slow. It really limits Drisital, he will rarely have odd man rushes if that line is left intact, but Pulls has some nice speed, so it kinda sorta makes up for it.

Just now, jammer2 said:

I know Maroon has a nice set of hands for a big man, but his first few steps are painfully slow. It really limits Drisital, he will rarely have odd man rushes if that line is left intact, but Pulls has some nice speed, so it kinda sorta makes up for it.

Yak's steps were fast that's why he did so well with McD in the first 9 games of last season.

I've liked Nurse's game, his mistake on the 2nd goal notwithstanding. He's stayed in position, punished opposing players, and done a good job of pinning & separating from the puck.

EDIT

And then he scores.   LOL

26 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I've liked Nurse's game, his mistake on the 2nd goal notwithstanding. He's stayed in position, punished opposing players, and done a good job of pinning & separating from the puck.

EDIT

And then he scores.   LOL

Seems like Nurse is maturing right before our eyes. Amazing what a bit of confidence will do for a kid. He seems to be just playing his game, rather than overthink things like he did quite frequently last year. He's not afraid to make a mistake, trusting his skill set more and more. You can see the on ice vision starting to emerge, rather than the tunnel vision he had last year.

Just now, jammer2 said:

Seems like Nurse is maturing right before our eyes. Amazing what a bit of confidence will do for a kid. He seems to be just playing his game, rather than overthink things like he did quite frequently last year. He's not afraid to make a mistake, trusting his skill set more and more. You can see the on ice vision starting to emerge, rather than the tunnel vision he had last year.

This is something which has been growing in his game as the season has gone on. It has REALLY helped that he's not being asked to play too many minutes, and against the toughest competition.

22 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

This is something which has been growing in his game as the season has gone on. It has REALLY helped that he's not being asked to play too many minutes, and against the toughest competition.

Yes, not having all the pressure of big minutes against top 6 forwards has done wonders for his confidence. That is one of the primary reasons why acquiring Larsson was such a big move. It allowed Kleff and Lars to eat the big minutes while Nurse is evolving at his own pace. Another big factor is his pairing with Gryba, he has been able to lean on him and has been a solid veteran presence for Nurse.

5 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Yes, not having all the pressure of big minutes against top 6 forwards has done wonders for his confidence.

Nurse good, Klefbom bad even with Larsson helping him side by side. I see all his individual mistakes not clearing the zone and his ineffective slap shot.

Secretly under the radar people don't notice Eberle who is -1 on the top line while McD is +6 and Lucic is +3.

I predict Eberle's career (currently -52) will end up somewhere worse than -100. Him and Yak are racing to -100.

Solution: I would like to see Klef and Eberle gone, but that's asking too much.

4 hours ago, Parture said:

Nurse good, Klefbom bad even with Larsson helping him side by side. I see all his individual mistakes not clearing the zone and his ineffective slap shot.

The problem is that you fixate on Klefbom's mistakes and never give credit for his contributions. Klefbom's High Danger% per 60 minutes is 7th overall among defenseman in the NHL (39 Chances For, 19 Against). He must be doing something right. This creates a ripple effect down the left side of the Oilers defense. If Klefbom was playing poorly, forcing McLellan to cut his minutes, then Nurse would play tougher minutes, and you wouldn't be seeing him good as often.

Again, I feel obliged to ask the question: if Oscar Klefbom is so bad, then why do the Oilers get so many more dangerous chances for than against?

Secretly under the radar people don't notice Eberle who is -1 on the top line while McD is +6 and Lucic is +3.

I predict Eberle's career (currently -52) will end up somewhere worse than -100. Him and Yak are racing to -100.

Solution: I would like to see Klef and Eberle gone, but that's asking too much.

I don't think that Eberle has looked as sharp out there as he could, and I wonder if there are changes coming.  Yesterday, Bob Stauffer mentioned that the Oilers are close to acquiring a 3C, which makes me think that, if true, we could be seeing Leon Draisaitl playing RW. If so, my preference would be to try him with McDavid, with Eberle playing with Nugent-Hopkins. Those two have always created offense together.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

The problem is that you fixate on Klefbom's mistakes and never give credit for his contributions. Klefbom's High Danger% per 60 minutes is 7th overall among defenseman in the NHL (39 Chances For, 19 Against). He must be doing something right. This creates a ripple effect down the left side of the Oilers defense. If Klefbom was playing poorly, forcing McLellan to cut his minutes, then Nurse would play tougher minutes, and you wouldn't be seeing him good as often.

Again, I feel obliged to ask the question: if Oscar Klefbom is so bad, then why do the Oilers get so many more dangerous chances for than against?

I don't think that Eberle has looked as sharp out there as he could, and I wonder if there are changes coming.  Yesterday, Bob Stauffer mentioned that the Oilers are close to acquiring a 3C, which makes me think that, if true, we could be seeing Leon Draisaitl playing RW. If so, my preference would be to try him with McDavid, with Eberle playing with Nugent-Hopkins. Those two have always created offense together.

I am not fixated on his mistakes. I simply figured out what led to the goals against the Oilers that caused us to lose against Buffalo and Toronto, and it was Klefbom's fault. It's plain as day in the replay. They are simple mistakes, easily correctable. Careless mistakes. I am not sure if he is correctable on this, because he keeps doing it when I am sure he was talked to. It's about winning and losing and Klef clearly lost it for the Oilers.

Leon has a good faceoff percentage so he should stay center. Oilers have 3 centers already.

Eberle and RNH never play well together I noticed. I think it is because they don't have much size.

18 minutes ago, Parture said:

I am not fixated on his mistakes. I simply figured out what led to the goals against the Oilers that caused us to lose against Buffalo and Toronto, and it was Klefbom's fault. It's plain as day in the replay. They are simple mistakes, easily correctable. Careless mistakes. I am not sure if he is correctable on this, because he keeps doing it when I am sure he was talked to. It's about winning and losing and Klef clearly lost it for the Oilers.

Perhaps it is MY mistake, then. I came to this conclusion based on your only ever pointing out Klefbom's debits and never his credits. If Klefbom's mistakes aren't something you're fixated on, then why are they the only part of his game you speak of? It doesn't really paint a picture of somebody with a balanced approach to analysis.

18 minutes ago, Parture said:

Leon has a good faceoff percentage so he should stay center. Oilers have 3 centers already.

Eberle and RNH never play well together I noticed. I think it is because they don't have much size.

They passed on free players like Parenteau because they assumed Versteeg would sign. Versteeg then signed with Calgary the next day because he was told that Puljujarvi would get more minutes. Right wing is a problem. The problem is: the Oilers have 3 centres, but only have 1 RW who can play in the top 6. Their options right now:

Eberle - struggling right now.

Kassian - 3R on an average team, 4R on a strong one.

Puljujarvi - a boy learning on the job

Slepyshev - was alright in the lineup, never shown enough for more minutes

Pitlick - 4th liner

My guess is that this is the Oilers line of thinking re: Draisaitl possibly playing wing, especially since the 3rd line isn't producing. There's probably the idea that Leon's being wasted there currently.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

My guess is that this is the Oilers line of thinking re: Draisaitl possibly playing wing, especially since the 3rd line isn't producing. There's probably the idea that Leon's being wasted there currently.

This seems like the perfect solution to a pressing problem. Draisaitl is being wasted on an ineffective 3rd line. The guy needs to be playing top 6 minutes with more established players. RNH is not built for the wing, so he is the 2nd line center by default. Gotta wonder what RNH's ceiling is at this point. I believe he can still be an effective player, but there is increasing doubt about RNH being worthy of his loftly draft spot.

Archived