Begosian returns, so far so good for Sabres rebuild

Buffalo Rick

I do not think anyone can be disappointed in the way the Sabres have played and where they sit in the standings presently.  Now that their young superstar is back its already made a difference.  He came so close to ending the game last night in a better fashion for the Sabres beating one of the Canes d men silly.  Begosian made his presence felt as he obliterated one of their forwards coming into the zone, likely will be shown on the NHL channel On the Fly broadcast which every morning shows the highlights of the previous nights action.  Great show.  Moving forward a playoff spot is likely asking too much but the Sabres will give it the old try for sure.  Its not like they are out of it.  They are in striking distance thanks to pretty solid play while waiting for both Eichel and Kane to return.  Lehner has played well of late.  So too Nillson.  Too soon to say how this year will play out but they likely need more time to develop the youth on this roster.    But so far so good for the Sabres in my opinion.

29 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I do not think anyone can be disappointed in the way the Sabres have played and where they sit in the standings presently.  Now that their young superstar is back its already made a difference.  He came so close to ending the game last night in a better fashion for the Sabres beating one of the Canes d men silly.  Begosian made his presence felt as he obliterated one of their forwards coming into the zone, likely will be shown on the NHL channel On the Fly broadcast which every morning shows the highlights of the previous nights action.  Great show.  Moving forward a playoff spot is likely asking too much but the Sabres will give it the old try for sure.  Its not like they are out of it.  They are in striking distance thanks to pretty solid play while waiting for both Eichel and Kane to return.  Lehner has played well of late.  So too Nillson.  Too soon to say how this year will play out but they likely need more time to develop the youth on this roster.    But so far so good for the Sabres in my opinion.

I guess I wouldn't be disappointed...but this will likely be the 7th year in a row out of the playoffs. You're 3 points out of 16th in the league, but also 3 points out of 3rd last. If you end up in the latter after 7 years of letdowns, I'd have to call this another one. 

Missing Eichel didn't help, but everyone goes through injuries, slumps etc. I honestly thought they'd be higher in the standings. 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I guess I wouldn't be disappointed...but this will likely be the 7th year in a row out of the playoffs. You're 3 points out of 16th in the league, but also 3 points out of 3rd last. If you end up in the latter after 7 years of letdowns, I'd have to call this another one. 

Missing Eichel didn't help, but everyone goes through injuries, slumps etc. I honestly thought they'd be higher in the standings. 

Its about what I expected perhaps a little worse.  I did not think they would beat the Kings 6-3.  They caught them fresh on a 3000 mile jet lag.  As see what they have done since.  The Kings I mean.  The Sabres are doing well for their youth.  Young stars in Eichel and Ristolainen that will lead them soon into the playoffs.  But I agree this year is a long shot

Archived