Drew Miller waived by the Wings

yave1964

th?&id=OIP.M00dce0504430333a08770d89f0b1 Caught up in the numbers game with the return of quite a few players from injuries someone had to go and Kenny Holland decided it had to be Drew Miller. With Kronwall being activated for the game today against the Rangers to make room Miller was waived at noon today.

There is a very real possibility that someone will claim him he can play either wing and provide a bit of offense from the fourth line and is relatively cheap so someone may snatch him up. If not he will Join the Griffins in the next few days.

8 hours ago, yave1964 said:

th?&id=OIP.M00dce0504430333a08770d89f0b1 Caught up in the numbers game with the return of quite a few players from injuries someone had to go and Kenny Holland decided it had to be Drew Miller. With Kronwall being activated for the game today against the Rangers to make room Miller was waived at noon today.

There is a very real possibility that someone will claim him he can play either wing and provide a bit of offense from the fourth line and is relatively cheap so someone may snatch him up. If not he will Join the Griffins in the next few days.

Wow, this is positive for Holland. He actually made a move that was good for the team and not overly loyal to the player. In the case of Kenny boy, he takes loyalty to the extreme. Guys like Miller and Cleary seemed to have lifetime memberships, lol.

On one hand, it makes Detroit a sought after location for UFA players. Players might be more inclined to waive a no trade clause to get to Detroit, knowing they will not be traded on a whim. They would also be secure in the knowledge that they would be joining a franchise that has a long storied history of being classy and player friendly. Holland runs a tight ship, not much drama flying around the Wings dressing room. Another positive attribute of Kenny.

I don't know how Wings fans feel, but from the perspective from Flyer land is that Holland is doing a lot more crap than positive contributions. For a LONG time now, I have felt the Wings needed to make a deal, actually "deals". This roster has really stagnated. It's not like guys like Sheahan, Tatar, Nyqvist are worthless or anything. Package one of the 3 with a 3rd or 4th round draft pick and go defensemen shopping. This is the kind of shake-up this team needs, yet day after day, Holland sits on his hands, seemingly incapable of doing his job and finding. The 3 players I mentioned have stagnated, a trade to another team would probably help their careers and help the Wings address some obvious needs elsewhere.

I'm thinking there is about a 40% chance Miller gets claimed. If a team has a few injuries to their bottom six, an experienced guy like Miller might come in handy. He gives a good solid effort and is a true pro, comes well prepared. He nice role model for young prospects just breaking into the league. That is one of the intangibles that Miller brings to the table. 

41 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Did someone say Miller? :love:

HA, if Homer was still in charge, Miller would be sitting pretty with a 20 mill+ 5 year deal. Sounds funny, but beside a side order of grit and toughness, Clearly and Miller are basically the same kinda pluggers, and Homer wanted Clearly (knee on knee and all, lmao), so it's probably not that far off....as sad as that sounds.

8 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Wow, this is positive for Holland. He actually made a move that was good for the team and not overly loyal to the player. In the case of Kenny boy, he takes loyalty to the extreme. Guys like Miller and Cleary seemed to have lifetime memberships, lol.

On one hand, it makes Detroit a sought after location for UFA players. Players might be more inclined to waive a no trade clause to get to Detroit, knowing they will not be traded on a whim. They would also be secure in the knowledge that they would be joining a franchise that has a long storied history of being classy and player friendly. Holland runs a tight ship, not much drama flying around the Wings dressing room. Another positive attribute of Kenny.

I don't know how Wings fans feel, but from the perspective from Flyer land is that Holland is doing a lot more crap than positive contributions. For a LONG time now, I have felt the Wings needed to make a deal, actually "deals". This roster has really stagnated. It's not like guys like Sheahan, Tatar, Nyqvist are worthless or anything. Package one of the 3 with a 3rd or 4th round draft pick and go defensemen shopping. This is the kind of shake-up this team needs, yet day after day, Holland sits on his hands, seemingly incapable of doing his job and finding. The 3 players I mentioned have stagnated, a trade to another team would probably help their careers and help the Wings address some obvious needs elsewhere.

I'm thinking there is about a 40% chance Miller gets claimed. If a team has a few injuries to their bottom six, an experienced guy like Miller might come in handy. He gives a good solid effort and is a true pro, comes well prepared. He nice role model for young prospects just breaking into the league. That is one of the intangibles that Miller brings to the table. 

I can't speak for all Wings fans, but from my perspective you are not wrong. @yave1964 and I have been calling for a move for several seasons now. Holland IS too loyal. No better example than Cleary, who you mentioned. OTOH, I have had much less of an issue with keeping Miller as long as we have. Miller, even now, has never really been on the bottom of my list when it comes to Wings' effectiveness. Miller is a role player, and he has played his particular role quite well until now. The PK is no longer what it had been, however. Our PK, until this season, has actually been one of our more reliable units, and Miller has had a significant role in keeping it that way. And besides all of this, his price point has been tough to beat.

Having said all of that, I am pleased with this move. With his age and cap hit, Holland is wise to make room for youth. He has been reticent to do that unless he has had to because of injury, with the obvious exception of Larkin.

To be honest, I really think as far as effectiveness goes that Jurco or even Sheahan might have been alternate choices. However, Blashill has been praising Sheahan of late for his defense, giving him D assignments of top-liners, and Jurco...I think they are afraid of giving Jurco away and having something happen as happened with Patrick Eaves in Dallas.

If Holland has another weakness in addition to overloyalty, it is that he seems to be afraid of making a mistake trading away young talent. He has made big mistakes with letting players go (Hossa instead of Franzen--again, the loyalty thing too), but he really hasn't made any deals to even give himself an opportunity to make a big mistake other than deadline rental deals, which always hurt in the long run.

He has also been too afraid of ending the streak, for too long. Granted, there has been a lot of fan pressure to keep the streak going, even though there is now less this season than there has been previously. At the same time, a good GM should have recognized that continuing the streak was NOT good for the long-term of this team, and done what was necessary to secure its future. Instead, he has doubled down on players like Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, and Jurco to the point where their trade value is a pittance compared to what it had been. Basically, he waits until we pretty much KNOW his players are practically useless before seriously considering moving any of them until all he is left with are players he either can't move or that he can move but for very little return.

Yes, my sig line has been in effect, when it comes to KH for quite some time. Unfortunately. And when you combine this with his penchant for resigning Wings for too much and for too long out of loyalty, it makes for a very poor GM performance overall. Yes, I will except that he was brilliant in dumping Datsyuk's contract. His only really good move in a LONG time.

Archived