Raise the White Flag (sans winged wheel)

SpikeDDS

1 point of a possible 6 in what was expected to be our hardest 3-game stretch. After showing some signs of at least playing well against Columbus, the winged wheels fell off against Minnesota. The Wings were no match for this team. They dominated us from the start. We showed at least some offense, but truth be told, we are EXACTLY where we HF Wings fans declared that we would be: we are a team without pan NHL-caliber defense corps. And our goaltending is pedestrian. Today, it was amateur day in net. Coreau looked mentally out of place as well as positionally--one kinda follows the other, doesn't it?

Embarrassing loss, and even though we didn't play horrible against Columbus, it was FAR below the performance that would have been required to keep us from calling this season done and doing what is best for the team moving forward. It IS that time! Heck, I think it already was, what? 10 games ago? But if there was any doubt before now, there shouldn't be any doubt any more.

Time to move on a coach replacement while we still have as many options as we do, especially with the additions of the last week or so on th available coaches market. And then, of course, the painful, but necessary, selling off of what assets we can without absolutely wrecking the future of this team. Carolina, Arizona, and sell-buy back Vanek if we can. We have potential on the offensive side of the ice. Need development time, but the pieces are there and promising. We may have to lose one of the big young 3 in order to get it done right, though. That is my fear, and I'm concerned that it may not happen. Too bold a give for the likes of Holland. It's gonna hurt no matter what way we go, though. I'd rather make a move to get what we need knowing that in future games, when one of these young kids scores against us on an opposing team, that we will just have to tip our helmets to him with a knowing nod than to not get what we need. We need legit Dmen. Plural.

I use hope that there is no more hesitation to disassemble this team. There has been WAY too much of that in the last 4 seasons, and we are now paying the price. History needs to NOT repeat itself, and the best way to avoid that is to change GMs.

Dig through that old closet. Find that dust-covered white flag. Dust that white flag off. Raise it, and raise it high. Wave that sucker wildly! Wave it proudly! There is no shame in having to do so every 26 years or so. None!

4 hours ago, TheHockeytown said:

@SpikeDDS

Embarrassing, it was.

And I was just thinking, isn't Chris Ilitch supposed to take over for Mr. I? If so, don't you think it's safe to say Kenny will likely remain in Detroit?

Probably so. It would be difficult to, in one felt swoop change the owner, GM and the coach. Kenny will likely be the one that stays to lessen the transition shock, even though he probably should go. 

The only solace is that we needed this season, making the playoffs year after year and using that as its own benchmark sets up an unrealistic expectation. We needed to get it handed to us a bit to force the organization to take a hard long look at where we are. No need to rehash, we all know, no defense, I feel bad for Jensen getting turned inside out on national TV in front of 30 family members but he is an AHL defenseman, Coreau was god awful but it is typical of our netminding today, our forwards for the most part are not interesting. This does not require popping the hood and tinkering, we did that this year with Vanek, Nielsen and Ott all of whom have performed well, we need a complete overhaul, the winged wheel is broken in Detroit. Expect no sympathy from the rest of the league, many of whom have gleefully rung their hands waiting for a quarter of a century for this, hard work lies ahead and we need to fix it.

Archived