All Stars

blocker

Supposing you had to choose between a couple kids to nominate as an All-state player.  Both are good kids.  Player A is the better hockey player.  But, player A was injured for close to a third of the season.  So, player B has better numbers.   

Who do you pick?

My opinion?

Who the "better" player is can be very subjective.

What makes a player better? How do we know he IS better than the other players?

Obviously, if Player A has consistently shown to be "better" then he likely is....but that would be taking away from Player B, who obviously has worked hard enough to GET those better numbers.

Personally, I would nominate Player B.

Call it tough luck for Player A (who very well may be the 'better' player), but the fact remains that Player B was on the ice, playing the games, AND putting up the good numbers while doing it.

I think it would be a travesty if Player A was nominated over Player B based on what he COULD have done, over PLAYER B who actually DID get it done.

I mean...if this were the NHL and we all know that players like Crosby and Ovechkin tend to be "better" than your typical NHL'er, then why not just hand them awards, regardless of what goes on during the season?

Forget guys like Patrice Begeron, who are on the ice, putting up the numbers....forget about guys like Auston Matthews, who has NOT been injured (assuming Crosby or Ovechkin lost time due to injury), and has been putting up the numbers.

Heck, let's give an award to Steve Stamkos who has been out most of the year because he IS the "better" player over guys like Mikko Koivu....despite that fact that Koivu has better numbers because he was actually on the ice putting up numbers.

See where I am going with this?

Player B is the nominee, IMO.

He was out there, doing well, working hard.

Unfortunate for Player A, but that is how it goes.

You gotta be out there getting it done to reap the rewards.

:thatsnothing:

20 hours ago, blocker said:

Supposing you had to choose between a couple kids to nominate as an All-state player.  Both are good kids.  Player A is the better hockey player.  But, player A was injured for close to a third of the season.  So, player B has better numbers.   

Who do you pick?

Simple story is Panarin won the Calder last season over Mcdavid in the same situation that you just mentioned. A better example I cannot think of. Nobody in their right mind would take Panarin even up for McDavid, McDavid is believed by 100 out of 100 fans to have the brighter future but for that ONE SEASON Panarin was the better player due to injuries shortening the season by one third for McDavid.

Archived