Defensive Errors - Retrospective

WordsOfWisdom

I have decided this will be the final year for the Defensive Errors statistic. After three years of tracking it, I think it's time to move on. I was kind of hoping someone at the league, MLSE, or one of the hockey media outlets like TSN or SportsNet would pick up on it. I had hoped it would gain some traction. :(

My argument has always been that the NHL could benefit from such a statistic. It's simple. It's a nice integer value (which is usually what fans like with statistics). It addresses a specific need -- one that has always been ignored in hockey. Plus, it has precedent in other sports. That usually means it's guaranteed to be copied at some point. 

If the Leafs can make the playoffs, I will track their playoff performance for the first time ever. If they miss, then I'm done when the regular season is finished. :)

That's too bad WOW, first thing in the morning after a Leafs game I come here to see your evaluation. I realise that not everyone would agree 100% with your assessment but that's not the point. 

As I have said before I'm sure that each NHL team has a way of doing exactly what you are doing and they have their own secret list, that they would never want made public.

I'll be sorry to see your list go...:(

8 hours ago, BluPuk said:

That's too bad WOW, first thing in the morning after a Leafs game I come here to see your evaluation. I realise that not everyone would agree 100% with your assessment but that's not the point. 

As I have said before I'm sure that each NHL team has a way of doing exactly what you are doing and they have their own secret list, that they would never want made public.

I'll be sorry to see your list go...:(

Me too, but it's time consuming to manage.  :dizzysmiley-1:

If I were working as a sports analyst or statistical analyst and getting paid to do it for a living, that's another story. It makes it real easy to spend time on it. (Unfortunately, stable employment has been elusive.)

The networks (CBC, TSN, SportsNet -- to name the big ones in Canada) are absolutely loaded with a collection of broadcasters and former NHL players that analyze what already exists and tend to regurgitate the status quo. None of their people do any independent research that I'm aware of. News happens and they report on it. Usually that involves: "player X got traded to team Y" followed by talk about the contracts involved (which doesn't interest me) and a brief comparison of the basic stats (that already exist), and that's about it.

Given that each network has at least a dozen or more people that all fill the same role (talking head on television basically), you would think they would also have people to crunch the numbers and examine stuff like this behind the scenes, but maybe they don't.  :thinking:

50 minutes ago, hobie said:

I wasn't trying to discourage you by my last comment on your thread.

Not to worry.  My expectations were probably unrealistic. :)

Year 1 was very much a trial run. I found a lot of problems with it and fixed them for year 2. There were a few minor and rare situations that arose. I had to solve them when I encountered them. Other than that, I don't know of anything else I can do to improve it at this point. 

The biggest question is whether or not the results seem to match with reality. If player X is regarded as a bad defensive player, does it show up in the numbers here? Is it accurately reporting on what is being measured?  

It would be interesting to have data for the entire league. 

Archived