Expansion Draft Protection: Who ya got?

SpikeDDS

http://www.planmyteam.com/

Time to play everyone's favorite game, Who Ya Gonna Protect? Now that the deadline has past, and we have who we are going to have, who would you protect from the Expansion Draft?

Here is my list:

I have elected the 7 forwards, 3 defenseman, and a goalie option.

Forwards:

Nielsen (required)

Zetterberg

Athanasiou

Mantha

Helm

Abdelkader

Tatar

Left exposed: Nyquist

Defensemen:

Green

Dekeyser

Oullet

Left exposed: Ericsson

Goalie:

Mrazek

Left exposed: Howard, Coreau

I was torn between forwards Helm, Abby, Tatar, and Nyquist. Helm was the easiest to protect. Abby, we need because of his grit, although I'm gritting my teeth saying it, for what we are paying him. And I think between Nyquist and Tatar, if I'm going to lose one of them, I let Nyquist go. One more point than Tats this season, but half the goals and twice the money. I wouldn't mind dumping Nyke's cap hit. I think I just like Tats a bit more than I do Nyke overall.

For D-men, kinda the same reasoning. Green is a no-brainer.  DeKeyser is my boy, although there is a legit argument to expose him. I just can't do it. That basically leaves Oullet and Ericsson, and I decided that price for performance, I like X more than I do Big E. If they want to take E's contract off of our hands, I'm OK with that, I guess. 

Now that we've dumped Vanek, Smith, and Ott, we can make Tats and Oullet reasonable offer matches. 

There's mine. Whaddya think? And who ya got?

GO!

13 hours ago, yave1964 said:

THAT is exactly mine to a tee. The only coin toss would be Tats and Nyke, one will be back one not it is a matter of which one the Wings decide to retain.

I can't exactly remember that old saying about great minds. Is it "great minds have a tendency to repeat themselves?" Something like that. ;-)

Agree that it is close to a toss up between Tats and Nyke. I give the edge to Tats because he tends to shoot more, at least on goal, anyway. But I THINK he has more shot attempts per unit ice time. And his goal output shows it.

I don't think there's a lot of wiggle room about it.  Let Nyquist take his chances in the desert.  The Wings need all the cap room they can get to start bringing in some talent and being able to pay for it down the road.  I don't want to start overpaying free agents and then have to sell off at season's end.

• 3 months later...

How come the Wings had to protect Mantha?  If he's been a pro for 3 years they mismanaged that situation. Sometime tells me Tatar saved his spot in the org due to his big second half.

Archived