Bolts are getting healthy, and inching towards the Playoffs

hf101

Who would have thought the Lightning would be in the mix for a playoff spot without the likes of Stamkos, Bishop, Boyle, Filppula, Paquette, Callahan, and Tyler Johnson, but they have managed to pick up points in 14 of their last 16 games.  Enough points to put them right in the mix to give them a 30% chance of making the playoffs.

And they are getting healthy...  Johnson and Paquette are now day to day while Namestikov made a return to play last night against the Rangers. While there is no timetable given on Stamkos, he's getting closer and closer to a return.  Stamkos has been skating on his own daily and also practicing with teammate Kucherov some shooting and passing drills.  

Two big games on the line this week.  Tonight vs Ottawa and then the Leafs on Thurs.  With wins in both this team could see themselves in the 8th spot by Friday.

18 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Two big games on the line this week.  Tonight vs Ottawa and then the Leafs on Thurs.  With wins in both this team could see themselves in the 8th spot by Friday.

:hocky:

Leafs play the Panthers tonight and then the Lightning. Will it be a case of "book your Leafs playoff tickets" or will that playoff spot slip away to two division rivals that almost everyone picked to be in the top 8 right now?

The Leafs have left themselves with no margin for error. That recent five game losing streak and their play in February ensured that. It's going to be a tough March (no pun intended) from here on in with every win and every loss resulting in a flip flop between in or out for that final playoff spot. 

Well, guys, I for one, am certainly glad to see the Bolts playing for something this late in the season.

Some of my fellow Bolts fans back home kept trying to tell me the Bolts should have tanked the rest of the year to get a higher draft pick, however:

1) I never subscribed to that. Hate it. Tanking a season. To heck with that. I want to put together a Red Wing-like post season streak....and win a Cup or two along the way.

2) The team is STILL talented enough to get in, and possibly cause some discomfort for some other teams. Even without the missing players, as you can see, the team, on many occasions, can still get it done!  They were made favorites this season by some for a reason.........unfortunately, some of those reasons are sitting on the shelf, traded off, or underperforming, but still, the depth of this team has been proven the last few seasons.

3) This coming draft is not considered one of the strongest. I am sure teams will still find some Grade A players, but if a team is gonna take the low road and tank like a bunch of lame professionals, THIS is not the draft to do it in.

4) And finally, even with a "weak draft", a likely lower draft position if they continue to push for a playoff spot, and even some picks traded away, the Lightning still have some good young talent on the roster now and in the minors....their AHL team is leading their division as well.

So yea.

Glad to see Steve Yzerman is bending but not breaking as are the team he helped assemble on the ice.

Big fly in the ointment though, is if the Bolts somehow manage to eek themselves into the 8th spot, their reward for a hard climb will be a 1st round match up with either the Capitals, Penguins, or maybe even the Blue Jackets.

As Tampa Bay is currently constructed, those are bad match ups for them.

Still, I'd rather be playing in the 1st round, even if bounced early, than to be sitting in 9th or 10th watching others in the post season.

And no one EVER won a playoff round sitting in 9th or 10th....at least as an underdog 8th, they got a shot! ;)

Ottawa and Toronto this week....yea, two very big games.

• 3 weeks later...

They are saying Steven Stamkos could be ready to go for Saturday's game against the Canadiens.

I was initially against Stamkos returning for what looked like a lost season (possibility of re-injuring himself and all for nothing), but the Bolts ARE very close to a playoff spot now, and according to reports, he has partaken in several FULL practices with the team with no apparent signs of limited ability.

If Stammer does return, hopefully the team will just continue to do what they have been doing and not start 'deferring' to their returning captain, even though he technically is their best overall player.

That responsibility of keeping everyone's head in the game will fall on Stamkos himself.

He is the captain, and thus, he needs to make sure that everyone is continuing to pull their weight and make things happen on the ice while he integrates himself to the program the Bolts are running now....NOT the other way around.

Archived