BSH Flyer end of season reviews

AJgoal

Broad Street Hockey started doing their season breakdowns for each player. They started with Schenn, and covered a lot of the ground we looked at with him over the year:

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2017/4/26/15362228/brayden-schenn-season-review-grade-scouting-report2016-2017-philadelphia-flyers

AJ and Colleagues:

I agree that Schenn's 5 on 5 needs an upgrade. And yes...he may be one of our better bargaining chips.  This series' review of our forwards was sobering.  Read is a bust.  Our fourth line is scoring neutered.  Filpulla's return for a whole season is a plus.  But taken at face value--the fact we need him speaks volumes about our limited forward depth.  

When you get down to it, these articles point to a franchise with deeper structural problems than we thought.  Hexy has his hands full.  The first dilemma is goal--and the expansion draft has to finish before there's a bit more clarity.  When I watch St. Louis versus Nashville last night, I couldn't help but think how behind the curve we are relative to the league's best.  

Howie

On 4/29/2017 at 11:23 AM, Howie58 said:

AJ and Colleagues:

I agree that Schenn's 5 on 5 needs an upgrade. And yes...he may be one of our better bargaining chips.  This series' review of our forwards was sobering.  Read is a bust.  Our fourth line is scoring neutered.  Filpulla's return for a whole season is a plus.  But taken at face value--the fact we need him speaks volumes about our limited forward depth.  

When you get down to it, these articles point to a franchise with deeper structural problems than we thought.  Hexy has his hands full.  The first dilemma is goal--and the expansion draft has to finish before there's a bit more clarity.  When I watch St. Louis versus Nashville last night, I couldn't help but think how behind the curve we are relative to the league's best.  

Howie

The bad news is that you're right.  The team's structure has been terribly flawed for 5 years or so.  

The good news is that the plan to fix it has been under way for several years and things are finally starting to fall into place.  

The guys and girls at broad street are often negative and bitter (philly phans to the core--I think it's something in the Schuylkill  Sludge we drink).  BUT At this point I see the FLyers as a team with a lot of fantastic pieces about to fall into place in every position over the next 2-3 years.  

Hextall has been very opportunistic and has made the most of his time and his picks and has done an amazing job acquiring more picks and talent out of the blue and now to cap it all off, he's gotten improbably (almost impossibly lucky) with the #2 overall pick.  And as has been discussed in other threads, the possibility of one of these two guys becoming a superstar like Kane, McDavid or Matthews is just about as improbably as us getting the pick to begin with, at the same time the possibility of him becoming a strong, above average player is pretty good... likely a top 6 forward for your team.  

So IF (and it's not a small if) the Flyers can retain Weal (who I don't expect to score like he did at the end of the year, but if he can just skate like he did, he'll be great for this team), and we know they have Konecney and we know they'll be seeing Rubstov and Lindblom (who are two of the most highly touted young forwards in the world right now) and then you add a #2 overall in this year's draft.

That's almost 2 lines worth of fresh high quality talent with speed, creativity and potential playmaking ability.  And think about it:  They won't be coming into a dead roster the way all those picks for Edmonton or Colorado did.  They're coming into a roster with very strong players.  People here like to say the Flyers aren't a talented team. But Giroux is still an extremely talented play maker.  Couturier is al elite shut down man who still has scoring potential.  Schenn and Simmonds lead the league in PP goals.  Jake isn't Messier, but he is a talented player and DID lead the team in scoring.  It's actually a really exciting situation. 

Is Auston Matthews or Connor McDavid more exciting?  as individuals, yes. of course.  But on the whole, I see many reasons to be not just encouraged, but psyched about where this flyers team is going and how they are built to get there.  

I'm a broken record on the defense, so I'll shut up about that, but suffice to say EVEN IF THERE WERE NO NEW ADDITIONS coming into the Flyers forward pool, I'd feel significantly better about their scoring in the next few seasons simply because of the defense being more balanced.  The fear I'd had was that by the time Morin, Sanheim, Ghost, Provo and Myers (and who knows, maybe Hagg) were hitting their stride, Giroux and company would be aging out of contention, but with the forwards coming along and the atmosphere awaiting them, I'm not as worried about that. 

We know Hakstol's system can produce goals. We saw this when the Flyers were among the top scoring teams in the first two months of the season.  What they couldn't do then was protect their own zone. 2/3 of this season were a complete bust because the offense was too focused on bailing out the defense and preventing 6 goals against per game because the defense couldn't shut down an attack. For most of the season, the Flyers could only score on the PP as a result.  BUT by the end of the season after trading Streit and bringing up Weal, they eased back into dabbling with the system again.  Even strength scoring went back up.   

I'm actually really excited about the offense and the defense.  I think this time next year I'll be even more excited.  Another year or two after that and I may even be excited about the goaltending situation.  But I don't want to get ahead of myself.

You're right about the goaltending situation.  I'd want Stolarz to ease into a #1 Goalie's workload.  He should have been the backup this year, and for whatever reason (maybe the vegas draft, maybe his contract negotiation) Hex and Hak didn't want to play him.  And of course Sandstrom and Hart are coming but Sandstrom is likely in the AHL next year and Hart is likely still a year or two away from the even the AHL.  

In the mean time, they have enough cap room to throw a decent deal at a bridge goalie (Bernier hopefully) to get us from point a to point b.  

K-Squared:

That was thoughtful as usual.  2018-19 is when I expect the O and B might become a force to be reckoned with.  I will be the broken record and expect the first half of this coming season to be a lot of experimentation.  Post-Turkey Day will show improvement.

Goal is beyond my comprehension.  I agree with the stop-gap and wonder if there's somebody overseas we sniff and will bring in short-term...I think Finland grows goalies....we found the Zepper in Germany....maybe Hexy suits up...can't figure that out.  

We will get some clarity post-Las Vegas.  Before that, a crap shoot full of crap.  

Archived