A.H.L. team

notfondajane

11 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

Since the Golden Knights are affiliated with the Chicago Wolves, what is St Louis do for a expansion team? 

The Knights are now married to the Chicago Wolves but seems that their first year the Knights will not have a full compliment of players to field both an AHL and NHL team, they are allowing the Blues to place five players with the Wolves. The Blues will have absolutely ZERO say in ice time for their players. They may also try to put a player or two on other teams AHL rosters when a team finds themselves short.

The other thing they are going to do is stick a few players in the ECHL. I dont know if you have ever went to an ECHL game but it loses something in the translation. 

No I never went to a E.C.H.L. game. I'm guessing the is slower than pace than what I am used to. 

I'm  sure St. Louis will get a team soon! I'm sure the Blues had seen this coming. I'm not sure why they didn't start an A.H.L. of their own? (Maybe it's a long process?!)

On 7/3/2017 at 6:21 AM, notfondajane said:

No I never went to a E.C.H.L. game. I'm guessing the is slower than pace than what I am used to. 

I'm  sure St. Louis will get a team soon! I'm sure the Blues had seen this coming. I'm not sure why they didn't start an A.H.L. of their own? (Maybe it's a long process?!)

The Blues have been associated with the Chicago Wolves for several years, they had a chance to get something worked out about a year ago and blew it. They WILL have an AHL team not this year but the following for certain, the big rumor is Kansas City will be the Blues new farm team in 2018-19. 

As for ECHL, it is made up of AHL rejects, of guys out of Juniors who werent good enough to make the AHL let alone the NHL. They are for the most part not real prospects, some guys make the NHL out of the ECHL but they are usually bottom feeders at best. It can be entertaining to watch but it does not resemble the NHL.

14 hours ago, yave1964 said:

The Blues have been associated with the Chicago Wolves for several years, they had a chance to get something worked out about a year ago and blew it. They WILL have an AHL team not this year but the following for certain, the big rumor is Kansas City will be the Blues new farm team in 2018-19. 

As for ECHL, it is made up of AHL rejects, of guys out of Juniors who werent good enough to make the AHL let alone the NHL. They are for the most part not real prospects, some guys make the NHL out of the ECHL but they are usually bottom feeders at best. It can be entertaining to watch but it does not resemble the NHL.

Do you think Independence or Springfield Missouri would sport and A.H.L team if Kanas City gets an N.H.L. team?

(I wonder if San Antonio or Houston will get the next expansion team?)

15 hours ago, yave1964 said:

They WILL have an AHL team not this year but the following for certain, the big rumor is Kansas City will be the Blues new farm team in 2018-19. 

I haven't heard this rumor.  But it makes sense for the Blues.  Would they move an ECHL team in there and bump them up to the AHL?  

59 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

(I wonder if San Antonio or Houston will get the next expansion team?)

San Antonio already has an AHL team and they are a perennial top 10 in attendance.  And while they get good support, I doubt if they would be able to support an NHL team.  Half of the people don't even realize there's a professional hockey team in this town.  The media doesn't even recognize that there is a  team here.  This is a basketball city.

They would have to build an arena in Houston for them to get an expansion team (AHL or NHL).  The Houston Aeros had to move out of the city because the owner of the arena that they played in would not renew the lease. The owner didn't like hockey.

Population wise, either city would be able to support an NHL team. But I just don't believe there would be enough interest in hockey. 

This is a rather interesting topic as it appears this plan of having only 30 AHL teams next season has been rather well thought out by the Blues organization.  This one odd year where their AHL team will be run by the Knights organization is really a stepping stone to what they really want is an AHL team that is run by the Blues philosophy of building a winning team.  George McPhee of the Knights has a similar philosophy but few players and for the reasons, @yave1964 mentioned above this all works to the best interests of both the Knights and the Blues organizations.

Apparently, the Blues had a strained relationship with the Chicago Wolves as the Blues did not own the Chicago Wolves, therefore the philosophy of how the AHL team was run did not match the philosophy of Blues Doug Armstrong.

Wolves owner Don Levin recently stated “St. Louis would like to see their guys win, but wouldn’t put any effort into doing it,” while noting that Wolves signed players produced more on the ice than those signed to Blues contracts.  The Blues also would like to see their designated players on specific lines with specific players getting specified minutes as needed for development in building a winning culture.  

Thus the Blues look forward to having their own AHL managed team next season.  Where that will be might not be decided until next year.

There have been discussions with the Avalanche and the Colorado Eagles to become their AHL affiliate, but the Avalanche currently have a 5 year contract with the San Antonio Rampage.  As @AlaskaFlyerFan mentioned it isn't the best of locations and has poor attendance.  http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/14/colorado-eagles-avalanche-ahl-affiliate/

Talks with Kansas City as a possible AHL location aren't particularly strong but there is also the mention of promotion of the ECHL Missouri Mavericks to an AHL team.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2017 at 8:43 AM, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

San Antonio already has an AHL team and they are a perennial top 10 in attendance.  And while they get good support, I doubt if they would be able to support an NHL team.  Half of the people don't even realize there's a professional hockey team in this town.  The media doesn't even recognize that there is a  team here.  This is a basketball city.

They would have to build an arena in Houston for them to get an expansion team (AHL or NHL).  The Houston Aeros had to move out of the city because the owner of the arena that they played in would not renew the lease. The owner didn't like hockey.

Population wise, either city would be able to support an NHL team. But I just don't believe there would be enough interest in hockey. 

I  heard the Houston Rockets were up for sale for somewhere around $185 million! Does the current owner of the Rockets, own the arena?

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2017 at 10:01 AM, hf101 said:

There have been discussions with the Avalanche and the Colorado Eagles to become their AHL affiliate

The Eagles, who play at Budweiser Events Center in Loveland, Colo., will move from the ECHL to the AHL starting with the 2018-19 season. Their venue holds 5,289 for hockey but will likely be renovated for larger crowds and improved dressing rooms.

The Avalanche’s current AHL affiliate, the San Antonio Rampage, will then become the Blues’ minor league team as they have signed the 5 year contract with the Rampage.

So for the 2018-19 season, the Golden Knights will have the Wolves, the Avalanche will have the Eagles, the Blues will have the Rampage, and every team will be back to having its own AHL affiliate

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2017 at 7:43 AM, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Did you ever go see the Iguanas?  I used to love those guys!

Archived