Fast Skaters & Fast Thinkers

mojo1917

In addition to having guys that can skate 1 through 12, I think this current group of Flyer players is pretty smart too.

I love watching these guys play.  28 is a middling skater on this team, and he's a pretty good skater, but there are guys with some sick wheels. 20 and 21...damn. Even 51 can get it going pretty good...gone are the days when the fastest guy is automatic-minor-for-roughing-brain-dead-take-the-dumb-penalty-at-the-worst-time Zac Rinaldo

Nolan Patrick's assist on the Weiss goal is an example of what's going right for the team. 

First off Koneckny creates odd man chances all by himself with his smarts and wheels, he drives the net where Bobby Lou makes a nice save, Patrick's momentum following that play was going to take him right into the recovering Louongo, he's quick enough to gather that puck and leave it for ( omg i can't believe i'm saying it )Weiss who was hollering for the puck,  Patrick new he didn't have a shot but was able to make that pass Weiss in a blink.  Weiss was heads up to call for the puck.   Watching hockey played like that by the Flyers is joyful.  The culture of this team seems to be play smart. 

even if they miss the playoffs, these smart fast young guys are providing hope.

41 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

In addition to having guys that can skate 1 through 12, I think this current group of Flyer players is pretty smart too.

I love watching these guys play.  28 is a middling skater on this team, and he's a pretty good skater, but there are guys with some sick wheels. 20 and 21...damn. Even 51 can get it going pretty good...gone are the days when the fastest guy is automatic-minor-for-roughing-brain-dead-take-the-dumb-penalty-at-the-worst-time Zac Rinaldo

Nolan Patrick's assist on the Weiss goal is an example of what's going right for the team. 

First off Koneckny creates odd man chances all by himself with his smarts and wheels, he drives the net where Bobby Lou makes a nice save, Patrick's momentum following that play was going to take him right into the recovering Louongo, he's quick enough to gather that puck and leave it for ( omg i can't believe i'm saying it )Weiss who was hollering for the puck,  Patrick new he didn't have a shot but was able to make that pass Weiss in a blink.  Weiss was heads up to call for the puck.   Watching hockey played like that by the Flyers is joyful.  The culture of this team seems to be play smart. 

Sometimes before you succeed, you need to fail.

I think Michael Jordan said something like that one, when asked why he was successful. "I'm not more successful, I've just failed more than everyone else."

All that to say that if they miss the playoffs, that's not a bad thing. This is a team on the rise.

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Not meant just for you but it is funny that many claim for these new fast players when in fact these guys were all on the team last year.

The lone exception is Leier (10 games)who also like Laughton (2 games) did play on last year's club....

...so really actually the only "new" guy is the rookie Patrick...oh yeah well there is Lehtera who doesn't even count because he hasn't played.

So the true difference in this club is their conditioning and the biggest their confidence.....they believe in themselves.

Amazing what confidence can do for oneself.

46 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not meant just for you but it is funny that many claim for these new fast players when in fact these guys were all on the team last year.

The lone exception is Leier (10 games)who also like Laughton (2 games) did play on last year's club....

The team plays faster, now, whether that's because these new guys think the game quicker than PEB and CVV and Read...or maybe Hagg is the magical breakout passer we've longed for... but this team is faster all over the ice.  

I think there is something to these young guys playing with a lot of confidence too, they are contesting every inch of ice.  

They go to the net and are looking to make the aggressive play.  

I was fond of PEB but I don't miss him because of what the guys filling his slot are doing with their chance.

Archived