odd thing

blocker

In a game today, the score was 2 to 0 with a couple minutes remaining.  The team that was behind pulled the goaltender.  The team that was ahead responded by putting 5 defencemen on the ice.  I don't think I'd ever seen that before.   

27 minutes ago, blocker said:

It worked.  During your career, have you seen this before?

I have never seen that. On the surface, seems like a decent strategy. The only problem I can foresee is being to defensive, ie not having players being disruptive enough on the forecheck. You would not want to allow an easy leave out of the opponents own end. You would not want to send the forecheckers to far in either, so a fine line....but I'm betting most dmen don't have much forechecking experience. 

You and FC would have a much better take on this than me, that's why I threw it out here.  You're spot on about the forecheck, the "forwards" seemed leery about going hell-bent deep into the offensive end.  But, maybe that's what the coaches wanted.  On the previous day, the same team had lost a game in which they'd had a 3 to 1 lead with less than 5 minutes to go in the third period.  

3 hours ago, blocker said:

You and FC would have a much better take on this than me, that's why I threw it out here.  You're spot on about the forecheck, the "forwards" seemed leery about going hell-bent deep into the offensive end.  But, maybe that's what the coaches wanted.  On the previous day, the same team had lost a game in which they'd had a 3 to 1 lead with less than 5 minutes to go in the third period.  

Yeah, it seems like a variation of a "prevent" defense. It can come back to haunt you at times but looks like the coaches wanted for sure things defensively on the ice at the time. 

Archived