not sure how to cope with Manning, Lehtera and Weise anymore

King Knut

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, King Knut said:

The cure for Lehtera and Manning playing is a flu shot?

That isn't flu medication.

You are aware there are a variety of other drugs you can inject...but if flu meds is your thing then by all means...

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I hope Sanheim can find his game and return to help lock down a spot on this blueline before the playoffs. One step at a time.

I agree. That said, I don't think Sanheim is meant to replace Manning. He's meant to replace Gudas or Mac. Manning remains a serviceable 7th in any case.

15 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

No. Manning can't be the 7th because Hakstol doesn't use him as so 

That's mostly because Sanheim really hasn't played well enough to get the ice time. Ideally, Sanheim would have taken his spot and kept it all season, but he hasn't shown that ability this year. There's always next year of course.

I expect the hope for Hexy at the moment is that by 2020, we'll have:

Provo/Ghost

Morin/Sanheim

Hagg/X

The combos may change of course, but it seems highly probably those five are expected to be the future d-corps within the next couple seasons. I have a feeling the plan was to bring Sanheim in this year and Morin next, so those five would have been getting NHL time by next season. Sanheim getting outplayed a bunch seems to have pushed the timeline a bit.

Or maybe not. Maybe that will be our contingent come Oct 2018. Camp can change everything. The bigger question for me right now would be what happens to Gudas, Manning, and Alt.

Gudas is solid enough to be traded at the deadline or as part of a package prior to the coming draft. That said, losing him for next season would largely force more rookies into the fold right away, which isn't something Hex seems to enjoy doing (for very good reason imo). As I've mentioned before, my thinking is Gudas will not be traded unless some GM comes around with an overpayment for Gudas' services. I'd say that a possibility, but it probably isn't super likely. It would depend on who else is on the market in the coming months.

I don't think Hex will shop him around any given how poorly Sanheim played this year and the fact Morin's been nursing injuries all season in the A. Knowing Hex, those two situations will probably make him want to keep Gudas around for another season, rather than rely on a pair of rookies that haven't proved they belong yet.

Manning and Alt are a different situation. Both have expiring contracts this year. Manning is UFA, so I really don't think he's very tradeable. Alt is RFA with possible arbitration. I don't know to what extent the difference there changes things for Hex, but it's entirely possible it does. Bringing up Alt at this point suggests he's being given a shot as the 3rd pairing / 7th dman for next season. If he proves capable enough, Manning is unlikely to be resigned (I think). Ideally, Alt would be relegated to the 7th dman spot, but that only happens if Sanheim and Morin prove they belong and make the team next year. If they don't, I expect Alt will have a lot of 3rd pairing play, much like Manning has this season.

That's a whole lot of deliberation to essentially note I really wish Sanheim had played better this season, but oh well. He's young. Next season may work out better for him.

Archived