Phantoms Record 5 OT Game

King Knut

Still shorter than the Primeau game in '00 (though it was the same score), but Alex Lyon made 94 saves.

In case you're thinking that's got to be a record, it's 4 saves short of the AHL record.  Who holds the actual AHL record?

(Wait for it...)

Michael Friggin' "Leaky" Leighton (when he was an Albany River Rat).

That seems like fun news... except Sanheim and Morin are both friggin' hurt and let me tell you how much that sucks... A LOT.

4 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

just read this......

I know it's the AHL, but I still think Lyons deserved a better shot in Philly this past year!....The fact that he was replaced by Mrazek is a real shame.

I mean... he just wasn’t that good as a Flyer.  He wasn’t going to do THIS ⬆️ Against the penguins. He’s having a nice moment and that’s good for his future, but he really hasn’t shown himself to be a viable option for the Flyers. 

5 hours ago, King Knut said:

Still shorter than the Primeau game in '00 (though it was the same score), but Alex Lyon made 94 saves.

In case you're thinking that's got to be a record, it's 4 saves short of the AHL record.  Who holds the actual AHL record?

(Wait for it...)

Michael Friggin' "Leaky" Leighton (when he was an Albany River Rat).

That seems like fun news... except Sanheim and Morin are both friggin' hurt and let me tell you how much that sucks... A LOT.

So Phantoms now own the two longest games in AHL history...and won both!

5 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

just read this......

I know it's the AHL, but I still think Lyons deserved a better shot in Philly this past year!....The fact that he was replaced by Mrazek is a real shame.

I agree Lyon should have been given a shot....he made more saves than Elliott (83) and Neuvy (61) did in their first games series in one game. 

29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree Lyon should have been given a shot....he made more saves than Elliott (83) and Neuvy (61) did in their first games series in one game. 

I think Lyons had a fair and valuable experience with the Flyers as a back-up.  Last season he was 27 / 14 / 0  with a .912 save pct.  Stolarz's injury provided the opportunity to be the #1 netminder on the Phantoms this past season and no one expected Lyons to be that #1 with the Flyers.  In 11 games he was 4 /2/ 1 with a 0.905 save pct and I think he built a confidence that he has the talent to be a NHLer someday.  I guess we will never know if he would have made 94 saves last night if he didn't spend time on the Flyers this season, but, imo, it all happens for a reason.

If the Phantoms win the Calder Cup this year I do believe he could be on the Flyers roster next fall.  It might take a major injury or a fallout by either Elliot or Neuvirth though.

47 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I think Lyons had a fair and valuable experience with the Flyers as a back-up.  Last season he was 27 / 14 / 0  with a .912 save pct.  Stolarz's injury provided the opportunity to be the #1 netminder on the Phantoms this past season and no one expected Lyons to be that #1 with the Flyers.  In 11 games he was 4 /2/ 1 with a 0.905 save pct and I think he built a confidence that he has the talent to be a NHLer someday.  I guess we will never know if he would have made 94 saves last night if he didn't spend time on the Flyers this season, but, imo, it all happens for a reason.

If the Phantoms win the Calder Cup this year I do believe he could be on the Flyers roster next fall.  It might take a major injury or a fallout by either Elliot or Neuvirth though.

I am refering to a shot in the playoffs that too we will never know.

13 hours ago, hf101 said:

It might take a major injury or a fallout by either Elliot or Neuvirth though.

Which is.....INEVITABLE!

I just think he was worth a longer look but I guess I understand why Hak went back to an "experienced" goalie.....the risk was too much.

Hindsight...

44 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Yeah, but neither have Elliot or Nuevy!.....:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Only because of injury. 

They can’t be trusted for that reason, but it’s fitting bad luck that our only healthy goalies (Lyon, Mrazek) proved to be our worst in the NHL. 

43 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Which is.....INEVITABLE!

I just think he was worth a longer look but I guess I understand why Hak went back to an "experienced" goalie.....the risk was too much.

Hindsight...

There’s a lot I’ll blame Hak for but playing Elliott and Neuvy in the playoffs isn’t really one. 

He was just playing the odds. 

Lyon and Mrazek were almost sure to get lit up by the penguins.  Elliott and Neuvirth would at least be better if they were healthy. 

He gambled on them hem being healthy. They were, only fleetingly.

Mrazek and Lyon we’re likely a lose/lose vs. the Penguins.  Elliott and Neuvy? At least there’s a shot. 

15 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Against the Charlotte Checkers. 

Against the Pittsburgh Penguins he’d have gotten destroyed.  

the only prayer would be that the defense would play safer and more amcarefully knowing a weaker goalie was behind them -like they did with Leighton in ‘00. 

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

Against the Charlotte Checkers. 

Against the Pittsburgh Penguins he’d have gotten destroyed.  

the only prayer would be that the defense would play safer and more amcarefully knowing a weaker goalie was behind them -like they did with Leighton in ‘00. 

We'll never know. He could've held them to one goal maybe...

Archived