Are the Minnesota Wild still a contender, or just a pretender with a big dose of denial?

58 minutes ago, 63firebird said:

Exactly correct. 

Btw. I don’t hate Mikko.  But his slowness and predictability on 1:40 of PP are maddening. Suters floater wrist a close second. 

Obviously Bruce has been told or has no stones. 

Spoiled Mikko has caused a lot of problems with this club over the years. People were angry at Dumpster Doug Risebrough for handing out terrible contracts... Lemaire made a fairly weak team look okay (as it kept getting worse)... Then he wanted the hell out. Fletcher was brought in along with Todd Richards to install a new system: More offensive oriented... Players were being shuffled in and out like candy on Halloween. Initially Fletcher didn't do too bad but the offense took a huge hit with Gabby leaving (Lemaire probably saw that coming and knew things were only going to get further out of hand; with respect to Mikko now getting all he ever wanted once Gabby was out of the picture.

Then Fletcher began giving more grip to certain 'established veterans' which was only Mikko and along came the opportunity to acquire Parise. But Parise didn't want to come here unless they could sign his buddy Ryan Suter. Since then it's become a corporate deal between the three as we've seen dozens of players come and go... Several of which got lovely retirement packages to retire 'on ice' and still get a ton of ice time and their names mentioned for way too long by totally bought television announcers in LaPanta and Greenlay. Yeo was brought in to create a miracle and while we all questioned his coaching prowess it seriously never came to be. We had hope but I do believe the 'core' was already rotten. Since then it's still just been a troubled fiasco.

And no, I don't hate Mikko either but I do believe fans asking for him to be moved to the 3rd line 5-6 years ago was an obvious plea that's only driving this club further into the ground by not doing so. I could never fill his shoes though because I'm not that selfish. While I'd like being spoiled I wouldn't like the burden it keeps causing the club - and the tag he's gained as he nears retirement.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/20/2018 at 2:38 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Barry Trotz is a good coach IMO, but not sure anyone can make Washington a champion.  

I read yesterday that he resigned as a coach of Caps after 11 days of winning a Stanley Cup. That happened very rarely in NHL history (this is only the 4th time). It seems for this case is a banal story - money issue.

Here is a link from NY times about some of this story:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/18/sports/barry-trotz-resigns-washington-capitals.html

Archived