Minnesota North Stars, a look back...

CreaseAndAssist

7 hours ago, Antti_Laxative said:

I saw "Red Army" - very well done. But I lived through and was glued to my tv during, the original "Summit Series" in 1972.  That was bar-none, the most intense spellbinding sporting event/series I have ever witnessed.  Soviets stars (playing for Red Army) at that time (off th top of my head) were Yaukushev, Petrov, Mikhailov, Tretiak and the great Khavlamov (Man that guy was amazing)...so amazing in fact that the famous two-handed chop by Bobby Clarke that broke Khalamov's ankle is seen by many as the cheapest cheap shot ever...but also the catalyst behind Canada's amazing comeback in the series.  Man, that was a tense time (cold war, yada yada) and like I said the most compelling series I have ever witnessed.

Well said. I practically became a real hockey fan at the age of 11 after the original "Summit Series" in 1972.

Back on topic - I think it would have been a very different scenario for MN if the Met would have been rehabbed in its current location - since that Mall has driven so much traffic to the area. If they could have been in at the ground level of that massive undertaking - with the fanfare and media hyping that mall - I think things would have been very different for the franchise there...

Speaking of that - last I was in MN they were talking about somewhere downtown Mpls that they wanted a practice arena... Did anything ever come of that...? 

On 6/19/2018 at 9:26 AM, Confrontational said:

Back on topic - I think it would have been a very different scenario for MN if the Met would have been rehabbed in its current location - since that Mall has driven so much traffic to the area. If they could have been in at the ground level of that massive undertaking - with the fanfare and media hyping that mall - I think things would have been very different for the franchise there...

Speaking of that - last I was in MN they were talking about somewhere downtown Mpls that they wanted a practice arena... Did anything ever come of that...? 

Connecting the the Met Center with the Mall of America was a no go due to the fact the project was already well over budget, which would've added another $100 million or more to it.  I think its good for St. Paul and traffic in that uber congested part of 494 as it is.  

The practice facility is in St. Paul.  Watch a story about here...

So, they now have a practice facility downtown Mpls - is that because the X was so booked out that they just couldn't have a regular practice schedule? Seems like a massive cost when there are other arenas, etc... Where have they practiced over the past decade? Are taxpayers up there footing the bill for this? Can Mikko get better with a new practice arena? 

😁

5 hours ago, Confrontational said:

So, they now have a practice facility downtown Mpls - is that because the X was so booked out that they just couldn't have a regular practice schedule? Seems like a massive cost when there are other arenas, etc... Where have they practiced over the past decade? Are taxpayers up there footing the bill for this? Can Mikko get better with a new practice arena? 

😁

The practice facility is in St. Paul, not Minneapolis.  They practiced at Parade Ice Garden for a while, then St. Thomas Academy, sometimes Braemar in Edina.  It isn't really that big of a deal when you have as many rinks in the Twin Cities as we do.  

"Racist and Political conversations will be removed" - ha....  Guess facts don't matter - and it was relevant to hockey since it was a $ move back in the day that could have prolonged the Stars staying in MN - but whatever...

On 6/22/2018 at 11:18 AM, Confrontational said:

"Racist and Political conversations will be removed" - ha....  Guess facts don't matter - and it was relevant to hockey since it was a $ move back in the day that could have prolonged the Stars staying in MN - but whatever...

IF they were facts, you may have had a point...

On 6/22/2018 at 11:18 AM, Confrontational said:

It must've been your use of the "T-word"... Let's find out: taxpayers!

I'd forgotten all about that exhibition game against the Russians in 1983, and I was there for that game. Some family friends were in town from Canada, and the North Stars had a homestand at the time, so we wound up going to four games in rapid succession. And they were rabid Bruins fans, so we had to put up with their whooping New Years Eve when Boston beat the good guys 5-3. But they did get me into the local watering hole underage after the game, so all was forgiven.

I distinctly recall the price for parking at the Met going up a buck effective that week, which caused us to say stuff that would be a no-no if repeated here. Ahhh, the good old days.. "Four bucks for parking?!"

2 hours ago, McMahon 6 said:

It must've been your use of the "T-word"... Let's find out: taxpayers!

I'd forgotten all about that exhibition game against the Russians in 1983, and I was there for that game. Some family friends were in town from Canada, and the North Stars had a homestand at the time, so we wound up going to four games in rapid succession. And they were rabid Bruins fans, so we had to put up with their whooping New Years Eve when Boston beat the good guys 5-3. But they did get me into the local watering hole underage after the game, so all was forgiven.

I distinctly recall the price for parking at the Met going up a buck effective that week, which caused us to say stuff that would be a no-no if repeated here. Ahhh, the good old days.. "Four bucks for parking?!"

I don't remember that game happening but I wasn't even 10 years old yet.  However, having watched the game the North Stars played the Soviets pretty well.  The crowd was into the game, but it didn't get crazy nationalistic...and it wasn't some clown show although I will admit there was some full on tackling by the North Stars at times.  

Archived