JVR back to Philly

8 minutes ago, hobie said:

Thru most of JVR's time with the Leafs he played with Kessel and Bozak, he was even used to PK probably part of the reason TO was so bad.

You'll notice that as TO improved JVR's icetime decreased. As his predominately OZ% increased so did his scoring, he's a very productive 3rd liner when he plays sheltered minutes as your charts attest. Is a 3rd liner worthy of 7 mil. per no matter how much they score.

Considering how productive JVR has been, he was probably worth his previous contract, 4 mil. per even as a 3rd liner.  

We'll he won't be a 3rd liner so that is fine 7 mill for a scoring 2nd line LW is a tad high but there are many now that are overpayed.

He just has to score and play a little defense which he can do.

No worries.

He'll have a solid defensive center with him in Patrick and another good set up guy in Jake on his other wing. I say he scores 40 plus.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, hobie said:

Thru most of JVR's time with the Leafs he played with Kessel and Bozak, he was even used to PK probably part of the reason TO was so bad.

You'll notice that as TO improved JVR's icetime decreased. As his predominately OZ% increased so did his scoring, he's a very productive 3rd liner when he plays sheltered minutes as your charts attest. Is a 3rd liner worthy of 7 mil. per no matter how much they score.

Considering how productive JVR has been, he was probably worth his previous contract, 4 mil. per even as a 3rd liner.  

Interesting, thanks. At first glance, JVR sounds like the perfect winger to slot beside Nolan Patrick and Voracek, though now I'm not so sure. Patrick is 200-foot player who gets it and will only get better at that part of the game, while Jake is lacking defensively, and that's being generous.

So does that put too much pressure on Patrick? We'll see. But at the end of the day, JVR will be a top 6 winger here, not top 9.

As for salary, well, that's how the game goes I guess. $4M per was probably below market value at the time given his production over that contract (like Simmonds), and $7M is the result of a limited UFA market, shorter term, and paying for past performance. I'm not too worried about it.

JVR greatest strength is he goes to the opposition's net and will score, unfortunately he doesn't have other strengths. When he starts thinking he can do more he becomes an even greater liability.

13 hours ago, hobie said:

JVR greatest strength is he goes to the opposition's net and will score

I'll take it.

Right now we have 11 other guys who love to pass and carry the puck and do other things but they won't go to the net or shoot.

So hell yeah give me someone who will be around the goal mouth to screen chip in the lose pucks or get open down low for a quick one timer and i'm good for now.

Let's start there and see what else he can be asked to do.

This team is starved for goals 5 on 5 and on the PP and i think he can help in both areas.

Archived