Flyers send Vorobyev to LHV; recall NAK and Goulbourne

brelic

And we see how this team has struggled and it is giving the vets fits at times...imagine what it can do with the kids.

If they can figure it out and getting back to winning i can see this team making the playoffs.

However if the PK, PP and goaltending continue to struggle all season i can see them being in the Hughes sweps.

I think we will know ore about this team when it turns 2019...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, elmatus said:

I didn't mean to suggest Lindblom specifically, though I know he was mentioned specifically during the conversation. I meant this statement quite broadly in fact. We fans overvalue prospects all the time without necessarily considering the actual reality of playing in the NHL. I'm no stranger to this. I recognize my own fault in it. 

Hexy has been lauded for stockpiling an enviable stable of prospects. Clearly that's a very good thing, but it certainly doesn't mean all those touted prospects will be NHL players. They're all gambles. As fans, we do tend to overvalue our own prospects at times. 

I'm also not advocating we dismiss Lindblom or any other specific young player. I just think we often approach this subject with more wishful thinking than we realize. I think it's normal for fans to do so. I'm sure other fan boards do it for their teams all the time.

I also think there are many many players who make extremely solid AHLers or players in international leagues who simply cannot translate that success to the NHL (Oh, hi Jordan). Is success in other leagues a good predictor? It's the best we have really, but it doesn't mean it's always accurate.

Sometimes it's worth taking a step back and trying to look at the picture more objectively though.

I think a big part of the "prospect worship" that goes on has a lot to do with how lame the big club has been...and for a while. I like to follow junior no matter how the Flyers are doing, but I think a lot more people are getting interested in the youth because it's, well....in fact, interesting. 

Having a gm who actually stockpiles it doesn't hurt the enthusiasm either.

Archived