JVR

hobie

I'm wondering how his integration is going?

Might be a bad time to ask because things haven't been going well generally for the Flyers.

Always felt JVR was under utilized in TO but that might be a chicken/egg scenario.

He's been meh. He plays well with Giroux, but then a monkey would play well with Giroux. He spent much of the season so far on the 2nd line with Patrick and Voracek, and they were largely meh at best.

That's about the best I can say. hehe

Soon as the year wears on JVR's greatest strength will diminish, probably a result of the abuse he endures thru the season. He'll still go to the opposition's net but he'll plant himself not in front of the goalie but to the side of the net looking for rebounds rather than blocking the goalie's sight lines.

JVR spent years on TO's top line with Kessel and Bozak and tho that line scored at a reasonable pace it was always +/- black hole. JVR's concept of d is planting himself in the soft areas of TO's d zone and watching the play, he covers no one, he doesn't challenge the point players but he does watch intently and exits the d zone ASAP.

18 hours ago, hobie said:

Soon as the year wears on JVR's greatest strength will diminish, probably a result of the abuse he endures thru the season. He'll still go to the opposition's net but he'll plant himself not in front of the goalie but to the side of the net looking for rebounds rather than blocking the goalie's sight lines.

JVR spent years on TO's top line with Kessel and Bozak and tho that line scored at a reasonable pace it was always +/- black hole. JVR's concept of d is planting himself in the soft areas of TO's d zone and watching the play, he covers no one, he doesn't challenge the point players but he does watch intently and exits the d zone ASAP.

Remember, JVR was drafted by the Flyers. Most of us know what he is. Most of us could have cared a less when he was traded away. We just weren't too happy with the return. For a relatively big boy, he plays like he's 4 feet tall and 70 lbs. About as soft as you can get. His hands are the only thing he has going for him. Not a fan.

I always felt that a player like JVR needs the right linemates to be maximized. With TO JVR spent most of his time with Bozak so his stats and utility suffered. JVR is a 40 goal scorer with Giroux and if Giroux and the other linemate do most of the defending then he's an asset. Maybe Couturier  would be a good center for him, someone who can shoulder some of JVR's d responsibility while also getting the puck to him in front of the net.

JVR was never a good fit in TO because TO never had the right complimentary players for his game.

5 hours ago, hobie said:

JVR is a 40 goal scorer with Giroux

I agree completely.

He probably is a 40 goal scorer with Giroux, but so would be many other players in the NHL, including many who would not be as defensively irresponsible, who cost less to have around, and who have more mileage left in the tank. The other challenge of course is that Giroux has played better of late when playing on the LW, which leaves no room for JVR. 

All in all, I wouldn't say he's terrible to have around. With the right playmaker on his side, he can still be fairly effective. Unfortunately we only have one reliable one of those right now, and he's got plenty of other partners already.

That said, I somehow doubt we'll see him moved away so soon. I think Fletch is going to be quite conservative in his approach while he figures out what he's got to work with.

Archived