Evander Kane chasing history

yave1964

Evander Kane has been locked in a chase with Antoine Roussel of Vancouver for the league lead in penalty minutes, last night he lost his stuff over a hit by Chara, challenged Chara to a fight and BYW lost badly, sporting a big cut on his face after the game proving that Chara at 42 can still throw them. Anyway, for his trouble he also drew an instigator penalty all together his PIMs last night pulled him way ahead of Roussel and it looks like it is a foregone conclusion that he will lead the league in penalty minutes.

Right now, Kane has 27 goals, the all time leaders for goals in a season by penalty minute leaders are:

3: Maurice Richard 1952-53 led the league in penalty minutes, scored 27 goals

2: Bob Probert 1987-88 led the league in penalty minutes, scored 29 goals

1: Tiger Williams 1980-81 led the league in penalty minutes, scored 35 goals

Different era's different style but the point is he has tied the Rocket, will pass Probie in the next week or so, and sits only 8 goals behind Williams who was a very underrated goal scorer in his era playing with mostly Sittler and Lannie, many remember him as a pure goon and forget that he scored 241 goals as well.

So Kane is likely to end up no worse than second in goals in a single season by the penalty minute leader and from everything you read the players in San Jose simply love him, he has come a long way from the kid who was ran out of Winnipeg by Buff and others and with apologies to Tom Wilson is, IMHO the undisputed best true power forward remaining in the NHL.

And yet, people still hate him. I read an ESPN article on him a few years ago when he was still an abrasive kid in the Peg where he stressed race as a problem which I would have to think isn't so much an issue in San Jose as it was there, he seems to have found tranquility, Burns and Thornton have gushed about the guy as a teammate, he seems to have found what every hockey player wants, a team and a city that love him and respect his game.

BTW here is the heavyweight tilt last night between Chara and Kane, it started with Chara throwing a shoulder into Kane's face followed by Kane rag dolling Chara to the ground and getting a few punches in followed by Chara getting up and ending the fight by drilling Kane with those long arms of his several times to the face bloodying Kane up a bit. Kane insists the damage to his face was caused by the shoulder to the face on the check and not the punches and says he was stunned that Chara drew no penalty for the hit that started it.

According to Pierre Lebrun who gets a lot more right than wrong, Chara will have a meeting with the NHL player safety for possibly targeting the head. 

Don't wake the sleeping giant...  lol.   Kane got me 31 penalty minutes last night, enough for an entire week in fhl.   Looking for the first hit by Chara as that must be the one the league is looking at.  I'm not seeing anything wrong with the hit on this play unless it might be an elbow to the face while Kane had his head down.

5 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Evander Kane has been locked in a chase with Antoine Roussel of Vancouver for the league lead in penalty minutes, last night he lost his stuff over a hit by Chara, challenged Chara to a fight and BYW lost badly, sporting a big cut on his face after the game proving that Chara at 42 can still throw them. Anyway, for his trouble he also drew an instigator penalty all together his PIMs last night pulled him way ahead of Roussel and it looks like it is a foregone conclusion that he will lead the league in penalty minutes.

Right now, Kane has 27 goals, the all time leaders for goals in a season by penalty minute leaders are:

3: Maurice Richard 1952-53 led the league in penalty minutes, scored 27 goals

2: Bob Probert 1987-88 led the league in penalty minutes, scored 29 goals

1: Tiger Williams 1980-81 led the league in penalty minutes, scored 35 goals

Different era's different style but the point is he has tied the Rocket, will pass Probie in the next week or so, and sits only 8 goals behind Williams who was a very underrated goal scorer in his era playing with mostly Sittler and Lannie, many remember him as a pure goon and forget that he scored 241 goals as well.

So Kane is likely to end up no worse than second in goals in a single season by the penalty minute leader and from everything you read the players in San Jose simply love him, he has come a long way from the kid who was ran out of Winnipeg by Buff and others and with apologies to Tom Wilson is, IMHO the undisputed best true power forward remaining in the NHL.

And yet, people still hate him. I read an ESPN article on him a few years ago when he was still an abrasive kid in the Peg where he stressed race as a problem which I would have to think isn't so much an issue in San Jose as it was there, he seems to have found tranquility, Burns and Thornton have gushed about the guy as a teammate, he seems to have found what every hockey player wants, a team and a city that love him and respect his game.

I'm indifferent on Kane though I appreciate how he has matured as he has aged (wink wink). To me this is just another incident that proves fighting or the "threat" of having to fight is not a deterrent especially for guys at the top of the food chain.

Chara is only 2 years younger than me and is still handling himself (and Kane is no slouch - ask Matt Cooke). I get up three times a night to take a leak. Getting old sucks. 

"I get up three times a night to take a leak. Getting old sucks."  One of my doctor's office nurses is a nice person, but she doesn't like me.  So, I try to get in little shots.  One visit, she asked the usual preliminary questions.  She asked if I got up at night to go to the bathroom.  I told her "almost always".    

Archived