Debbie Downers -> Kudos

Guest doom88

@Spinorama

i guess i'm not understanding where you are drawing the line. i want to see that schenn hit 10 times every game. unfortunately, someone has to go fight schenn afterwards, so that isn't going to happen. yeah, schenn could decline the fight, i guess. technically. 'course, here's schenn on that:

""I was skating up the ice and I saw him turn around and [Kelly] wanted to fight," Schenn said. "The guy challenged me, so I guess I had to. I guess that's what good teammates do."

so, he didn't see himself having any real choice. get challanged and skate away, not really the manly thing to do.

here's the sad part: the hit gave the flyers control of the puck right at the blueline, with one boston dman out of the play. there was a nice opportunity created out of the hit....but it went in the crapper because it had to be answered with a fight. schenn had to be shown his stuff would not be tolerated, and he felt obligated to not turn tail and run. ultimately, there was no hockey point to the hit, because it ended the play. i want to see the hockey point to the hit, i want that turnover to result in a chance for the flyers, not just a fight.

I want to see Schenn type hits 10 times a game and even more. But that doesn't mean I want the other team to just take it either! What kind of pansy club lets their team get pushed around, clean or not?

I liked the hit. I thought it was within Kelley's right to stand up for his teammate. I thought Schenn did the right thing by answering the call.

I honestly don't care about discussing whether or not the fight disrupted the flow of the game. What about the fights that start game? It keeps the game from starting. Or fights that start periods. or what about fights that start at the drop of the puck on a faceoff? They all keep the play from happening so big freakin deal. If fighting is getting in the way of hockey so much and is a problem then the league should just ban it and get it over with. But as long as you allow fighting in a sport, I think it's ridiculous to say when it's right and wrong. You wanna go, you challenge. The other guy accepts? you have a fight. period.

Besides, I'd much rather see guys dropping the gloves because they actually took offense to something that happened in game over seeing Shelley drop the gloves with the opponent's resident tough guy in the opening minutes of a game because it's his job to fight. nothing happened yet, what are you fighting about? At least with the play we're talking about the players involved had something to want to fight about... well, maybe Kelley did at least.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Spinorama

there was a nice opportunity created out of the hit....but it went in the crapper because it had to be answered with a fight. schenn had to be shown his stuff would not be tolerated, and he felt obligated to not turn tail and run.

Is this not the textbook reason why they have the instigator rule, so players don't have to fight after a good hit? Just saying.

While not the original topic, I do like the big clean hits. Want to take out the fights after clean hits? Mandatory 2-5-10 the guy who incorrectly thinks he is standing up for his team. Not that I trust refs to call it correctly, but in spirit I think it works.

Dirty hit? Haymakers away!

While not the original topic, I do like the big clean hits. Want to take out the fights after clean hits? Mandatory 2-5-10 the guy who incorrectly thinks he is standing up for his team. Not that I trust refs to call it correctly, but in spirit I think it works.

Dirty hit? Haymakers away!

That was my point. They already have the instigator rule. Twice in yesterday's game they didn't apply it when it should have been.

If you're gonna put a rule in the book, apply it correctly.

@Spinorama

sure, it was within kelly's right to challenge schenn to the fight. it always is. after a hit, after a scrum, after a faceoff win, after a slapshot, after a goal, after a save, he is within his rights to challenge who ever he wants when ever he wants. i just think it's pathetic that hockey players and fans are so shocked and appalled by big hits that they think the play has to be blown dead and a fight has to ensue.

What kind of pansy club lets their team get pushed around, clean or not?

why do you think the only possible way a team or player can respond to a hit is by fighting?

like i said, there was a time where big hits were part of the game; a guy could knock someone on their ass and the game would continue. players checked the licenseplate of the bus that ran them over and made a point of paying it back later, again, as part of the game. as the fans' and the players' are more and more offended by in-game violence and the post-hit circus becomes more and more common, the big hit itself becomes less so, and the game degenerates into one sideshow after another. that's great, if it's what you're into. for myself, i'd rather see 4 big hits in one shift as teams respond to one with another with another with another, and it spills into the next shift and the next and the game wrachets up with bodies crashing everywhere. that's great hockey.

*big hit* followed by *whistle* then *fight* followed by *90 seconds for penalties to be dolled out* = lame.

why do you think the only possible way a team or player can respond to a hit is by fighting?

I've said otherwise already. you keep bringing it back here.

I never said every big hit that occurs in the game needs to result in a fight. but in this case, where the dude was obviously taken advantage of and blown the heck up, retribution in my mind was not out of hand here. the dude was slow getting up even after the fight, that's enough for me... but that said that doesn't mean I apply that to every big hit that occurs and I never said I did either... yet here you are still stuck there.

@Spinorama

because you keep saying things like:

What kind of pansy club lets their team get pushed around, clean or not?

tell me that means something other than a team is a "pansy club" for doing something other than fighting the hitter.

look, you like what you like, i like what i like. personally, i think a fight over a clean hit is crap and a shame, that the art of answering a hockey play with another hockey play is being lost. that was an important part of the game to me, and the useless grappling and punching of helmets and visors we see instead is pathetic.