Campbell's record

Jack Campbell makes NHL history with 11th straight victory to start a season as first-place Toronto Maple Leafs keep on cruising

TORONTO -- Auston Matthews scored three times to increase his NHL-leading goals total to 31; Jack Campbell made 27 saves to set an NHL record for consecutive victories to start a season and the Toronto Maple Leafs outlasted the Ottawa Senators 6-5 on Saturday night.

Campbell became the first goalie with a victory in each of his first 11 appearances as the first-place Maple Leafs continued their dominance over the rest of the North Division.

"It was a fun game, honestly. It's not fun giving up goals. I expect more out of myself," Campbell said. "But Ottawa came to play and so did we. And I just think the guys played so well in front of me tonight."

Mitch Marner added a goal and three assists for Toronto. The Maple Leafs have won six straight to improve to 28-10-3, and they are 5-2-1 against Ottawa this season.

"We started off really well," Matthews said. "It definitely wasn't a pretty one, but we stuck with it."

Matthews had the third hat trick of his career and also had an assist for a four-point night. He has five straight 30-goal seasons to start his career.

EDITOR'S PICKS

"It felt really good," Matthews said. "I was fortunate to be on the receiving end of a few nice passes."

Campbell broke the mark of 10 wins to start a season set by Montreal's Carey Price in 2016-17. And Ilya Mikheyev and Zach Hyman each had a goal and an assist. With Saturday's win, he moved within two of team leader, Frederik Andersen, who is 13-8-2. Michael Hutchinson also has appeared in eight games this season in net for Toronto.

Tim Stutzle, Drake Batherson and Connor Brown each had a goal and an assist and Alex Formenton and Josh Norris also scored for Ottawa.

Anton Forsberg stopped 32 shots for the Senators. They have lost four straight and are 1-5-1 over their past seven.

Brown set a franchise record by scoring in a seventh straight game -- breaking a tie with Batherson, Jason Spezza, Dany Heatley, Daniel Alfredsson and Bob Kudelski.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Campbell broke the mark of 10 wins to start a season set by Montreal's Carey Price in 2016-17.

I mentioned Campbell in a previous thread a few months ago that he was going to be Toronto's #1 goalie shortly and here we are.  Andersen played his way out of the starting job and Campbell has certainly made the most of his opportunity.

:) 

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

* beat ONE top 10 team in the process.

You really are grumpy about these divisions aren't you?  ;) 

Now you know how it feels like to be Toronto and have Boston in your division. Too bad you couldn't have Tampa in there as well.   

21 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

You really are grumpy about these divisions aren't you?  ;) 

Now you know how it feels like to be Toronto and have Boston in your division. Too bad you couldn't have Tampa in there as well.   

Pretty sure if you played in a division with just Ottawa in it, Matthews would break all Gretzkys records and Campbell all of Brodeurs. It's not the same as playing an NHL sched. At all. 

Yes, I feel for you having to play against ONE cup winner in the last five years. While we've played against three.

Edited by flyercanuck

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Pretty sure if you played in a division with just Ottawa in it, Matthews would break all Gretzkys records and Campbell all of Brodeurs. It's not the same as playing an NHL sched. At all. 

Hang on a minute. Your division has Buffalo, the worst team in the NHL. The Central division has Detroit. The Senators are bad, but they're not the worst team in the NHL. 

The North division is a division of mostly .500 teams. Playoff bubble teams who either just barely miss the playoffs or just barely get in. Ottawa is the only bad team in the division. If anything, you could say the North division is a division of 7's, 8's, 9's, and 10's, in terms of conference rankings under a normal NHL season. There's no overly powerful teams but there's also no real pushovers either. 

Looking at just last season's stats, the North division teams placed in their conference as follows:

• Toronto: 7th
  • Montreal: 12th
  • Ottawa: 15th
  • Winnipeg: 6th
  • Edmonton: 4th
  • Calgary: 7th
  • Vancouver: 8th

So basically, 5 out of the 7 teams in the North division made the playoffs in a more normal NHL season with a somewhat normal NHL schedule.

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

46 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

I always thought Campbell was going to be a very solid netminder, i just assumed it would have been in Dallas.

It will, however be interesting to see how he does against different competition next season.

One has to question whether there will be a next season or whether we'll be entering lockdown #4, 5, and 6. At this point there's no reason to think anything will be different, even with the vaccine going out to people. It's not making any difference to the number of new covid cases in Canada for example. 

I'm thinking the prospect of one more season without fans and the NHL will put a halt to its operations until further notice.