Canucks still have SEVEN games to play!

WordsOfWisdom

With the playoffs right around the corner, the Canucks are miles behind every other team in games played:

standings.png.51746f5da01d4a74650b28cdd7489efe.png

Something tells me those games won't get played and the North division will be the only division that doesn't have a full 56 games for every team, leaving the standings up for dispute.

Even in a shortened season we still manage to get cheated by covid.  Unbelievable.  

7 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

With the playoffs right around the corner, the Canucks are miles behind every other team in games played:

standings.png.51746f5da01d4a74650b28cdd7489efe.png

Something tells me those games won't get played and the North division will be the only division that doesn't have a full 56 games for every team, leaving the standings up for dispute.

Even in a shortened season we still manage to get cheated by covid.  Unbelievable.  

They could always...you know...pro-rate it.

(ps...did you see McDavid actually hit 100 points?)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Meh, it's only 100 points.   :P 

True. It's also the 4th time in the last 5 years he's hit 100 (he had 97 in 64 games last year) tying him with ALL the Toronto Maple Leaf players combined in their entire history.

So ya, meh.

14 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

True. It's also the 4th time in the last 5 years he's hit 100 (he had 97 in 64 games last year) tying him with ALL the Toronto Maple Leaf players combined in their entire history.

So ya, meh.

So anyway, back to Matthews:

If as I suspect, the Leafs gets cheated out of 2 games in their schedule, that means I'll have to recalculate those formulas in the other thread and see if Matthews has passed Charlie Conacher, since the Leafs won't have played a "full" 56-game season.  Unbelievable.  

10 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

@WordsOfWisdom If the Leafs don't play those final two games, Matthews won't have played 54 games, let alone 56.

You are correct, but his stats will be prorated based on the fact that the Leafs lost 2 games (if that happens).  It'll still pump up Matthews' stats.  :showingguns:

9 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

If the Leafs go out in the first round...please promise you're not going to pro-rate Matthews the Conn Smythe trophy. 

lol.

As an interesting tidbit of trivia..... can you name the last player to win the Conn Smythe trophy who didn't appear in the Stanley Cup final?

Bonus: Can you name the last player to win the Conn Smythe trophy who didn't reach the conference finals?

:) 

7 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

lol.

As an interesting tidbit of trivia..... can you name the last player to win the Conn Smythe trophy who didn't appear in the Stanley Cup final?

Bonus: Can you name the last player to win the Conn Smythe trophy who didn't reach the conference finals?

I don't know anyone who's done either. I know Leach and Hextall both won it even though they were on losing teams. As did Giguerre and Glen Hall. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I don't know anyone who's done either. I know Leach and Hextall both won it even though they were on losing teams. As did Giguerre and Glen Hall. 

Isn't it ironic that the trophy given to the best player in the playoffs is a trophy that looks like Maple Leaf Gardens?  #GoLeafsGo! :) 

"The Conn Smythe Trophy was introduced in 1964 by Maple Leaf Gardens Limited to honor Conn Smythe, the former owner, general manager and coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs and a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame as a builder.[1] The centerpiece of the trophy is a stylized silver replica of Maple Leaf Gardens, the arena built under Smythe's ownership of the Maple Leafs, and their home from 1931 to 1999. Backing the arena replica is a large silver botanically-accurate maple leaf. The arena replica and leaf are set atop a square wooden foundation, the front of which bears a dedication plaque. Additional tiers below the foundation, sloping outward, contain maple leaf-shaped plates bearing the inscriptions of the winners' names."

" Dave Keon's eight playoff points in 1967 is the fewest ever by a non-goalie Conn Smythe winner, as he was a defensive forward and is the only Maple Leafs player to win the trophy donated by his club's parent company."

- Wikipedia

But back to the original question. According to Wikipedia:

"Though the trophy rewards a player who performed particularly well over the entirety of the playoffs, it has never been given to a player whose team did not at least reach the Stanley Cup Finals"

• Thanks 1