Rod Brind'Amour extension 3 yrs

Rod Brind’Amour agrees to 3-year extension with Hurricanes

Rod Brind'Amour

•  

Rod Brind’Amour is staying in Carolina after the Hurricanes announced they’ve agreed to a to a three-year extension with their head coach.

“Rod has been the driving force behind the culture change we’ve undergone here,” said Hurricanes general manager Don Waddell. “He keeps our players motivated, demands accountability, and has our team ready to compete every night. He has truly raised the bar for our organization, and we’re thrilled to have him continue as our coach for years to come.”

In three years behind the bench, Brind’Amour, 50, has compiled a 120-66-20 record and helped transform the Hurricanes into Stanley Cup contenders. He’s led them to the playoff in every season he’s been head coach, a feat no other coach in franchise history has done. This season, Carolina was in contention for the Presidents’ Trophy and ended up winning the Central Division, their first division title since being Southeast Division champions in 2005-06.

The extension took time, but Brind’Amour reportedly wanted his staff taken care of as well. There were also rumors that the expansion Seattle Kraken might be an option if things didn’t work in Carolina.

“I would have a hard time thinking I could do the same job I’m doing here somewhere else because this is a part of me,” Brind’Amour said Thursday. “This place, I’ve been here forever. Again, it’s more about the people that I get to come to work with everyday. That wouldn’t be the case somewhere else. It just wouldn’t be.”

Brind’Amour is a finalist for the 2020-21 Jack Adams Award. The winner will be announced Thursday during Game 3 of Islanders-Lightning (8 p.m. ET; USA Network / Peacock).

Now that the Hurricanes’ job is closed, that leaves the Coyotes, Kraken, and Sabres as the only NHL vacancies.

• Good Post 1

• 1 year later...

Happy Birthday Rod.

A trip down memory lane...

....man i miss watching good Flyer hockey.

You are doing a damn good job with the Canes. Getting close.

Got the idea from Bill today.

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 2

Good for the Hurricanes! A true franchise legend in every respect

I took my North Carolinian nieces to his Flyers Hall of Fame induction and they were asking me why they were inducting the Hurricanes' (then Assistant) coach?

Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, radoran said:

North Carolinian

I was living in Greensboro the only time i ever got to see the Flyers play live when the year they traded Paul Coffey vs the Hurricanes.

John Leclair was hurt and out that game though so never got to see the Legion of Doom play and Renberg was in Tampa.

So but i remember being blown away how many Flyer fans where it was really on full display after the game when every one was exiting the arena Orange was flooding out all over the place.

Well Canes certainly won that trade.

They won a Cup and Rod actually scored more points for the Flyers (601 vs 473) but he played in more games for the Canes.

All they got from Keith was 213 points. Rod went on and had a 70 and 82 point season at 35 and 36 years old. What might have been...

:rage:

• Like 1

Good signing for sure...having a good coach is getting more and more undervalued in the big leagues for all sports...I'm literally shocked every year that Carolina does good because I always underestimate them thinking how do they keep winning and coaching has to be huge factor I keep overlooking so yeah this is a good coach Carolina has...