So who starts in goal for the Sabres?

Buffalo Rick

I would lean toward Luukenen?  Thank God we do not have to see Hutton again.  Houser and Toharski actually played well down the stretch when getting their shot after being called up from Rochester.  With Ullmark gone, its a tough to say.  Anderson has told the team he is ready regardless of his age to compete for the job.  Even if they alternate the position early on, it could not hurt to use Anderson in an alternating role could it?  He is not a bum.  Cannot say he is.  I just do not know if they are ready to hand the reigns to Luukenen and see how things work out or if they plan to alternate and perhaps its Luuk and Anderson?  Or maybe Houser or Toharski can have a strong camp and get a shot?   At least one will be in Rochester.    Its going to be a nice day when Powers is ready to join the team. I wonder when college ends?  Assuming he plays in the final four and all?  Would that put it into the Spring time or not so late?  I am not sure.  Maybe someone here knows.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 10:12 AM, Samifan said:

Aaron Dell will be the starter. Anderson the back up for the Sabres. Luukkonen stays with the Amerks and will play the majority of the games. 

Well I trusts your input as you live in the area along with me..  Did you hear this on local media?   I am not sure that Luukenen will not be the starter soon into the season however.  I believe Anderson will get his shot to start at least every 3rd game if not split duties?  It will depend on how they do  of course.  I am not sure I would rule Toharski or the other kid out either?  Is it Houser?  Both showed some promise after Kreuger's departure. And considering the train wreck they walked into, thats not bad.  

To me, this question isn't so clear cut as to "who is the number one" here.

You have Craig Anderson, well past his prime and injury prone, but a guy, who at least, HAS been a starter, and a good one, before. 
And when he is healthy and focused, still can give you a good game. Everyday? Questionable.

Then you have Aaron Dell who has excelled in the backup role. 
Backup role.
He has only played more than 30 games once in in his NHL career and has NEVER played 35.
And in true classic backup fashion, it seems the more he plays, the worse his numbers are.

IMO, I think you are looking at a time share here.
Less games for Anderson than he is used to due to his injury history and age, but a bit more for Dell then he is used to, as Buffalo tries to decipher whether he can transfer over to a regular starter or not.
And that last part is gonna be real tough because the Buffalo defense doesn't look like it will be much help. Just no apparent shut down type guys on that blue line.

Luukkonen, yes, I believe starts in Rochester as I am not sure it is a good idea to expose the still developing 22 yr old to the horror show that will be that blue line facing down the teams that exist in that Atlantic Division.
However, should Anderson go down with injury (and good chance he might) and/or Aaron Dell plays like a minor leaguer due to overexposure to NHL offenses (very possible), the Luuk may be pressed into service at the NHL level.

Of course, the Sabres also have journeyman Dustin Tokarski in Rochester as well, so if Buffalo needs to call up a goalie to either sit on the bench, or take regular beatings while Anderson/Dell work through whatever, then maybe Tokarski is your whipping boy and leave Luuk in the minors in the hopes that the Sabres can somehow improve the defense or even score more goals, before the need to call him up because a "must".

The minute Anderson goes down or Dell shows he's not up to it (both are happening before American Thanksgiving, Merzlikin will be going to Buffalo.

Write that down. Bookmark it. Print it and put it on the fridge.

This is the part I am wondering:  does this turn into a bigger deal in which Domi, Merzlikin, and picks go to Buffalo for Eichel.

Columbus has tossed away picks and is suffering for it, but I could use that to argue this either way.   Possibly Merzlikin & Domi and any picks involved would be conditional on Eichel meeting certain benchmarks.