Wanted: One Backup Goaltender

Guest WingNut722

That's it. That was his one chance.

WIth Jimmy Howard out for his first injury of the season, it was Ty Conklin's time to step up and show Ken Holland what he's made of. With the trade deadline a mere three weeks away, Conklin had to know that the window of opportunity was very narrow and he'd have one, maybe two shots at solidifying himself as a serious backup goaltender.

Well, he blew it. He got pulled after letting in three goals in one period against Edmonton on Saturday night. Grand Rapids call-up Joey McDonald had to step in and give them Wings the opportunity to snag a point out of it. So forget Tuomo Ruutu, forget Zach Parise or any of the other headline trade fodder. Kenny Holland needs to get a backup goaltender, first and foremost.

The problem is, you need to unload Ty Conklin to do it, and the way he's played, who wants him? Any team in their right mind will try to sweeten the offer with a decent third or fourth line forward and maybe a draft pick or two before taking Conklin. The Wings are looking to buy, not sell.

So what do you think? How can Detroit get out this?

That's it. That was his one chance.

WIth Jimmy Howard out for his first injury of the season, it was Ty Conklin's time to step up and show Ken Holland what he's made of. With the trade deadline a mere three weeks away, Conklin had to know that the window of opportunity was very narrow and he'd have one, maybe two shots at solidifying himself as a serious backup goaltender.

Well, he blew it.

So what do you think? How can Detroit get out this?

I'm thinking Nabokov. He was willing to come last year, but couldn't. Yes, we'd have to throw in a promising young player. (And I'm not suggesting that I WANT to get rid of any of these guys, let me be clear on that.) Somebody like Emmerton, perhaps. You're right. Conklin for someone of solid caliber is just not an even trade.

I'd do an even trade for Bryzgalov. What's his annual salary? I'd like to see what Bedard and Osgood could do for him. I think it's in his head. He needs to learn how to clear it. I think Jimmy Howard has really benefitted from those two in that area.

@flyercanuck

Done, but throw in an order of fries. Fresh ones, though. Not the cold soggy ones that have been sitting out for an hour. And ketchup...

@SpikeDDS

Getting Bryz back in top form is one thing. The salary requirements are outlandish, and he'll never want to play bakup. Nabokov would probably be the same. My first choice would be Curtis Sanford from Columbus. Another option would be Cory Schneider from Vancouver, but I think he's good enough (and realizes it) to be a starting goalie instead of just a backup.

I thought Joey Mac did an admirable job filling in last year, with the improved defense this season he would be adequate. I would rather get a top six forward and a depth defenseman.

Oh I agree that you let JoeyMac have a shot WHILE you shop. He's got less than 3 weeks to prove he is the guy, and of he does, then I agree with you.

@SpikeDDS JoeyMac could be used. Hes got a bit of playoff experience (like 2 games in the early rounds) but in order to use him as prime backup, you'd have to buyout Conklin's contract. It's only a $750,000 deal, but it's still something to consider.

@yave1964 The depth defenseman can wait until summer. The defense as they have now is just fine. The Wings are still among the least shots allowed per game. They should concentrate on the backup goaltender first, and grab a power winger for the playoff run.