deadline day deals

Trades on the deadline day

WEDGEWOOD DEALT FROM COYOTES TO THE STARS for a 4th rounder which can becomes a third of the Stars make the playoffs. Wedgewood has quietly had a decent year in Arizona, Dallas began the year with way too many goalies but found themselves down to Oettinger and an ECHL tender as Holtby is headed to ltir along with Khubodin and Bishop was forced to retire. Arizona continues to stockpile picks.

MAF TO THE WILD FOR A 2ND which can becomes a first if the Wild make the Western conference finals. Not sure what I think of this one.

MARCUS JOHANSSON FROM THE KRAKEN TO THE CAPITALS FOR DANIEL SPRONG AND A 4TH AND 6TH ROUNDER. Johansson is one of those guys who gets no respect, a 44-45 point guy who quietly does his thing without fanfare.  Sprong just a body for the Kraken to play the season out with until they sign some real NHLers in the offseason. 

LAUZON TO THE PREDS FOR A SECOND GIO TO THE LEAFS FOR A FIRST. APPLETON TO THE JETS FOR A SECOND. The Kraken were unable to have the same type of draft hype as the Knights but are making a splash loading up on picks at the deadline. This class will be deep and they should be able to set themselves up nicely going forward. Lauzon could be a great add for the Preds to their top four, Gio is long in the tooth but a Toronto native who wants a cup. 

The one that makes zero sense to me is Appletn, a former Jets farmhand who was okay last year for the Jets but that was about it, he had 6 goals in 49 games for the Kraken. A second seems a crazy high price to play.

• Thanks 1

Yesterday, the two time champion Lightning picked up Nick Paul from the Sens for Mathieu Joseph and a 4th rounder.

I liked Joseph.....one of the fastest skaters in the league and a constant threat on the PK because of it.....but the problem was, he doesn't seem to have "finish".
Good chances, doesn't finish.
At 25 years of age, he still has a chance to improve, but the Bolts are chasing a third Cup. They don't have time to continue to wait on him to "figure it out".
Same was true of trading Raddysh and Katchouk.

In Nick Paul, the Bolts are getting a big heavy center who can easily anchor their 3rd line and chip in some scoring.
I've always admired Nick Paul's game from afar, and in fact, was on the Wild forum saying he'd make a great addition there.

Glad TB got him!
He IS a UFA at season's end, so this might only be a rental, but who knows.... if he likes it enough in TB, he may take a discount contract to stay on.
He wouldn't be the first to do so!

Not sure what I think of this one for the Wild. Kahkonen to the Sharks for Jacob Middleton. Middleton is a very meh prospect/suspect at best, Kahkonen I think is a decent goalie, I will put it this way, I would rather have he than Talbot backoing up Flower because he is young enough to develop. Middleton does bring grit but zero offense and is already too damn old to be considered a prospect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Yesterday, the two time champion Lightning picked up Nick Paul from the Sens for Mathieu Joseph and a 4th rounder.

I liked Joseph.....one of the fastest skaters in the league and a constant threat on the PK because of it.....but the problem was, he doesn't seem to have "finish".
Good chances, doesn't finish.
At 25 years of age, he still has a chance to improve, but the Bolts are chasing a third Cup. They don't have time to continue to wait on him to "figure it out".
Same was true of trading Raddysh and Katchouk.

In Nick Paul, the Bolts are getting a big heavy center who can easily anchor their 3rd line and chip in some scoring.
I've always admired Nick Paul's game from afar, and in fact, was on the Wild forum saying he'd make a great addition there.

Glad TB got him!
He IS a UFA at season's end, so this might only be a rental, but who knows.... if he likes it enough in TB, he may take a discount contract to stay on.
He wouldn't be the first to do so!

I love the two Tampa trades, Hagel is under contract on a sweetheart deal for two more seasons, 25 goals written all over him Nick Paul is an improvement over Joseph in every aspect of the game.

1 minute ago, yave1964 said:

Not sure what I think of this one for the Wild. Kahkonen to the Sharks for Jacob Middleton. Middleton is a very meh prospect/suspect at best, Kahkonen I think is a decent goalie, I will put it this way, I would rather have he than Talbot backoing up Flower because he is young enough to develop. Middleton does bring grit but zero offense and is already too damn old to be considered a prospect.

Yea, I am not liking this Kahko to SJ thing myself.
The only good thing here is, if MAF is playing, you KNOW it means Talbot is the clear backup.

Problem will be moving forward.

Unless Bill Guerin has some convoluted long term plan, or there is some secret goalie weapon in the pipeline.

I think the Sharkies come out on top on this one.

Your Wings dealt Troy Stecher.

How do you feel about that one, @yave1964 ?

I realize Stecher wasn't on the long range radar in Detroit, but he is still a solid defender....something the Wings are still sorely lacking overall.
And Wings pretty much gave him away....only got a 7th back for him.

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Your Wings dealt Troy Stecher.

How do you feel about that one, @yave1964 ?

I realize Stecher wasn't on the long range radar in Detroit, but he is still a solid defender....something the Wings are still sorely lacking overall.
And Wings pretty much gave him away....only got a 7th back for him.

Stecher was absolutely servicable on the obttom pair last year as a great P/K guy, this year he has been hurt all year, has lost his job to Lindstrom and isnt going to reclaim it. Truth is I am sorry to see him go because he just quietly professionally does his job, but he cant stay healthy. I think the Kings got a nice depth add as a 7 or 8 dman for the playoffs who wont provide a ton of offense but knows how to play defense. 

Coyotes trade an excess pick, a 4th rounder to the Jets for the contract of Bryan Little and unsigned prospect Nathan smith who they may have a deal worked out with. Smith is already 23 but is scoring like Crazy in college and could be an okay add. The key is adding littles deal which allows them to reach the salary floor allowing them to trade Kessel.

Coyotes trade an excess pick, a 4th rounder to the Jets for the contract of Bryan Little and unsigned prospect Nathan smith who they may have a deal worked out with. Smith is already 23 but is scoring like Crazy in college and could be an okay add. The key is adding littles deal which allows them to reach the salary floor allowing them to trade Kessel.

Surprised you didn't use your patented "the husk of Bryan Little" line... 😆

• Haha 1

Take DeBrusk off the board, rumored to be going everywhere the Bruins have signed him to an extention. Forsberg gets 3 years in Ottawa. Glad for him, nice guy who has worked his tail off to have a career.

Take DeBrusk off the board, rumored to be going everywhere the Bruins have signed him to an extention. Forsberg gets 3 years in Ottawa. Glad for him, nice guy who has worked his tail off to have a career.

Forsberg may quietly supplant (if he hasn't already) Matt Murray.

Agree. Good for Forsberg. Now...if the Sens can get him a semblance of a defense, his numbers might look as good as any top starters.

• Like 1

Justin Braun to the Rangers for a third. UI have watched half a dozen Rangers games this year and he looks slow and disinterested. Maybe all he needs is a change of scenery.

Brett Kulak to the Oilers  from the Canadiens, details to come. If Kulak is the answer, I am not sure that Holland the Oilers understand the question.

3 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Justin Braun to the Rangers for a third. UI have watched half a dozen Rangers games this year and he looks slow and disinterested. Maybe all he needs is a change of scenery.

Brett Kulak to the Oilers  from the Canadiens, details to come. If Kulak is the answer, I am not sure that Holland the Oilers understand the question.

To be fair to EDM, there simply aren't many options that will allow them to fit a guy into their cap situation.

The Middleton get for the Wild looks damned good next to these two moves.... but then again, the Wild had to give up a promising goaltending for him.

• Like 1

Travis Dermott going from Toronto to Vancouver....that was yesterday I believe.

Might be a sneaky good move by the Canucks in the long run.
Dermott wasn't used a whole lot in Toronto and we all know young defensemen need solid playing time to evolve their game.
Seems Dermott was in "stasis" in Leaves® Land.

He will definitely get more playing time and responsibility with the Canucks.
Here is hoping he makes the most of it.

• Like 1

Soooooooo names still remaining to be dealt

@TropicalFruitGirl26 favorite... Rackel from the Ducks

Bertuzzi supposedly in play, Rangers interested.

Klingberg

Radulov

Varlamov (still not listed as a done deal)

Kessel

Domi

Korpisalo

Namestnikov

Leddy

Chychrun

Georgiev

Greiss

Petry

Zacha

Copp

And a big one that has popped up in the last 24 hours is Gibson from the Ducks. If they believe Dostal is ready dealing gibson would go a long way towards the rebuild as far as adding assets at the deadline.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Yea, I am not liking this Kahko to SJ thing myself.
The only good thing here is, if MAF is playing, you KNOW it means Talbot is the clear backup.

Problem will be moving forward.

Unless Bill Guerin has some convoluted long term plan, or there is some secret goalie weapon in the pipeline.

I think the Sharkies come out on top on this one.

Also means Reimer must be on the move. But where...

Wow. Hans acquire Justin Barron and a 2nd for Lehkonen.

As a mooseheads guy who watched Barron regularly...

The only reason he fell so far in the draft was his blood clot  ruining his draft year and hampering his 

This is like trading an early 1st and 2nd for Lehkonen.

They don't need him with makar, toews, Byram, but man why give him away?

• Like 1

Lehkonen to the Avalanche for nice blueline prospect Barron and a second. Good deal for both. Avalanche dealing from strength on the back end, Lehkonen gives them a ridiculous top nine.

Leddy to the Blues for Sundqvist, Wallman and a second. Great haul for the Wings.

Andrew Copp on his way to the Rangers who have now flushed out their third line which has been a glaring weakness all year.

1 minute ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Wow. Hans acquire Justin Barron and a 2nd for Lehkonen.

As a mooseheads guy who watched Barron regularly...

The only reason he fell so far in the draft was his blood clot  ruining his draft year and hampering his 

This is like trading an early 1st and 2nd for Lehkonen.

They don't need him with makar, toews, Byram, but man why give him away?

Lehkonen gives them a top nine that is just insane. Barron is a stud prospect on a team dealing from strength. Colorado going for it this year i like it for both, but love it for the Habs.

34 minutes ago, JeffPeppers said:

*Holtby to LTIR? I don’t think that’s true, I know he’s sidelined.

He was listed as day-to-day. The Stars got Wedgewood to add a legit #2 goalie just in case with Khudobin off the books.