Don't Trade JvR

Guest Orangecat

Why not... I'm against any move but that would not be the worst. I'm looking at leadership/intangibles, not scoring. But I'd be happy (very happy) if we just keep JVR...

thats why i have said we should just sit pat and see what happends next year. I just don't want to trade away the farm.....we did that once.....

I'm still ticked about the Sharp trade...and for Matt friggin Ellison...what a total waste of space he was. I could have told Homer that. I saw him play in the A with the Norfolk Admirals. The fans hated him there too.

As Yoda says...."Patience ..you must learn patience!"

It just goes against the norm of society which demands instant gratification.

Oh, I agree... I'm just saying IF we trade JVR then Brown wouldn't be a bad choice..... My overall strategy though is to leave it alone for the rest of the season and see what/if we need in the off season and I DON'T want to trade our young pieces. It seems to always come back to haunt us. People want instint gratification and that just doesn't happen most of the time...

Let me put it this way, I'd rather have Aaron Asham than JVR. I'd take a guy like Steve Ott over him any day too.

the Richards and Carter trades should be adequate evidence of addition by subtraction. With both deals, I didn't think the players coming over were anywhere near as good as the ones being jettisoned. However, keeping those two pieces didn't make anymore sense moving forward. The chemistry was shot and the energy level was going in the wrong direction. The players we got back are young and hungry and playing above people's expectations. One reason could be they were excited to be in a real organization. Or they wanted to prove themselves to be worthy replacements of the once faces of the franchise. Regardless, I agree with you and that's been it for me with JVR. I totally acknowledge he has the tools, but the hammer doesn't swing itself. I, like you, would rather hungry players who put forth effort then someone who appears to have found complacency and really only turn it on when he needs to (playoffs, trade deadline rumors). I'm anxious to see what he does this year in the playoffs actually because up until now, that's been the only acceptable defense of his passionless play this season. If we don't trade him this season, hopefully he does turn it on in the playoffs... give the Flyers a return on the investment and keep his market value high.

@Spinorama

i wonder if actually being healthy might have something to do with his improved play...

he's been knicked up for most of the year. abdominal injury , hip thing to require surgery to correct, concussion. i dunno i might not play my best if i had things like that going on with my body.

i'm hoping the team stays in tact in these last hour and 15 minutes (less of course Burke wants to take Bryzgalov off our hands ) . i think we'll see 21 playing to his contract soon, and that includes the raise he gets next year.

Edited by mojo1917

@mojo1917

I've heard the reports of minor injuries but back then I was proclaiming that the staff should sit him and let him heal. If it wasn't bad enough for him to sit, then it should be assumed he's healthy enough to perform at a reasonable expectation. I also found it funny how he comes back from concussion with 2 of his better efforts of the year (coinciding with all the trade rumors). All of a sudden he has the strength to play past all the pain in his body and appear as though he has little to no concern about possibly another concussion? Too convenient to me. Hey, I like the guy though and don't really want to trade him. But if this "coasting" JVR is all we get until he deems the situation to be important, then I'd rather move this valuable asset for another team's valuable asset that could stand to improve our team. I don't want him gone though, especially not for the sake of just removing him from the team and honestly, I'd rather he'd stay in Philly and just playing the game we all are confident he can play.

@Spinorama

well said. i can abide not wanting to see him become a jd drew type, but i really think 21 is learning that it takes effort to be a good pro, and i think he wants to be a good pro.

i thnk his linemates might have something to do with his "resurgence" as well, the lines he's been on since he's been back have looked dangerous...

i thnk his linemates might have something to do with his "resurgence" as well, the lines he's been on since he's been back have looked dangerous...

you could be right! what ever it is I really hope he keeps it up. I was excited by his play in the playoffs and I really thought that between his new contract and knowing that he and Giroux were going to be the new young leaders on the team with Richards and Carter being traded that we'd be watching a player possessed. Maybe this year's trade rumors helped light a fire under his arse and woke up up to the realization that he can't coast and get away with it, not even for just half a season because it will be noticed (as it should, these guys are paid athletes, not Billy from around the corner).