Dumb NHL rules...

thegx.ca

I hate the one rule, where, a team commits a crap load of penalties, then, the OTHER team who has played exceptional hockey, gets a bunch of phantom calls because the game needs to be 'evened out'.....  THAT makes no &*^%ing sense to me.

Punishing a team because their opponents took a bunch of stupid penalties prior... :shifty: 

• Haha 1

Also...instigator has to GO!

Sure, it's intent was to curb fighting, but all it has done since its inception is give rise to the pseudo tough guy ice rats....and raised the temperature and aggravation of many other players to the point where something crazy ends up happening ANYWAYS!

I'd rather two Cro-Magnons settle things than some rodent taking liberties because no one is allowed to retaliate to his antics and the most he may get is a penalty instead the proper punch in the face he deserves! 

• Like 1

The 'loser' or participation point teams get for LOSING in overtime. Yes...rewarded for LOSING!
Gives fake parity to the league and rise to dumb things being said like, "Oh, the Vancouver Canucks have reached .500!"....when in fact, the team is 20-20-10.

Ummm, that's 20-30, ten games under, with a .400 winning percentage.
The math hasn't changed since man has learned to add and subtract numbers, people!

Losers should get nothing...or at least, bring back the tie for games not settled in OT, but STOP handing out cute lil ribbons to teams just because they "made a nice lil OT game, yay!" 

39 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

The 'loser' or participation point teams get for LOSING in overtime.

I hate it too…all serious fans who want the regular season to be a true “horse race” and a zero-sum game (as before the 2004 lockout ) should hate it.

But I can see where the league had three goals, after loss of 04-05 season, all catering to the more casual fan:

- no ties

- extra-exciting OT even if contrived

- no overly complex standings

They figured 3 for reg win, 2 for OT win, 1 for OT loss, 0 for reg loss, was too complex for casual followers.  But it is exactly what serious followers would like better.

Edited by SaucyJack
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

I hate it too…all serious fans who want the regular season to be a true “horse race” and a zero-sum game (as before the 2004 lockout ) should hate it.

But I can see where the league had three goals, after loss of 04-05 season, all catering to the more casual fan:

- no ties

- extra-exciting OT even if contrived

- no overly complex standings

They figured 3 for reg win, 2 for OT win, 1 for OT loss, 0 for reg loss, was too complex for casual followers.  But it is exactly what serious followers would like better.

I could be on board for the 3pt win, but I still say they should just go simply back to wins-losses..... OT is a loss, because, a loss is a loss, is a loss.
Ties would be cool, but like you said, Janey Casual doesn't understand that, and despite her kissing her own brother being fine, she won't like it as the result of her sports! :bigteeth: 

You get these teams making the playoffs with dubious records, then they get blown out, and people wonder how that could have happened.
Well, it's generally what happens when a 500 or near 500 team goes against a legit contender!